Pillars of Eternity

+
Pillars of Eternity

Well Obsidian is now teasing something in the works. Currently called "Project X" they have a page on their forums for speculation for what it is. They have a hint for it in the first post where you try to figure out what the words mean.
http://forums.obsidian.net/forum/88-project-x-speculation-discussion/
Also if you go on Obsidian's website apparently there's a picture for it but it's gone for me now. Oh never mind it's back for some reason.
http://www.obsidian.net/
So thoughts on this?
EDIT: Huh this is interesting. Someone posted this on Obsidian's forums. Apparently before Dungeon Siege 3 was announced it was nicknamed Project X on linkedin by a Square Enix director. After it was announced a third game came up on his list also nicknamed Project X. No idea if there's a relation since it could just be a common codename but hey might as well post it.
http://www.vg247.com/2011/04/05/rumour-square-enix-publishing-project-x-with-external-studio/
EDIT2: Here's the whole line hidden in the page's source.

"To tenderness, fellowship. To fellowship, vigilance. So bring we all to the Night Market. I am the Spindle of Esenath. Know me by my light and stand with me in darkness."

EDIT3: I can't believe I forgot to mention this but the 4 in the thread's name is a countdown so in 4 days we will find out what this is.
EDIT4: Someone linked this in the Obsidian forums. There's a chance this may have something to do with Fallout. This was supposed to be in the original Fallout 3 (Van Buren).
http://www.falloutwiki.com/Ouroboros

It's Obsidian I'm going to watch this closely! Is Obsidian still working on a Wheel of Time rpg or was it cancelled? I can't seem to rememeber.

Chromie92 said:
It's Obsidian I'm going to watch this closely! Is Obsidian still working on a Wheel of Time rpg or was it cancelled? I can't seem to rememeber.
From what I've read Red Eagle Games is working on that Wheel of Time RPG with another company called Jet Set Games. I've heard people say at some point Obsidian was confirmed to be working on it as well but I have no idea if that is still happening or not. Recently a Kickstarter was held for the game but after a few days of no real progress they decided to cancel it to put some more work in then try again. That was all Red Eagle Games though so I have no idea if Obsidian is still involved or not.

Forum veteran
Isn't the Ouroboros originally Egyptian? "Esenath" (from the page's source) seems like a random name, but it could be an anagram of "Aseneth," who was Egyptian. Maybe a clue about the new game's setting?

Actually, that's almost certainly reading too much into it. I'll laugh when it's an X-men game or something and everything but "Project X" is a red herring. I mean, what do the words mean? Nothing, apparently.

227 said:
Isn't the Ouroboros originally Egyptian? "Esenath" (from the page's source) seems like a random name, but it could be an anagram of "Aseneth," who was Egyptian. Maybe a clue about the new game's setting?

Actually, that's almost certainly reading too much into it. I'll laugh when it's an X-men game or something and everything but "Project X" is a red herring. I mean, what do the words mean? Nothing, apparently.
Well you are right on the Ouroboros originating in Egypt though it has some presence in other areas and mythologies as well. Also I think I'm going to post the whole hidden line in the page's source into my original post.

Guest 2091327

80Maxwell08 said:
"To tenderness, fellowship. To fellowship, vigilance. So bring we all to the Night Market. I am the Spindle of Esenath. Know me by my light and stand with me in darkness."

Clearly a top-secret flashlight-wielding nocturnal spider sect.

227 said:

While the Egyptians had the Ouroboros (representing the god Mehen) they weren't so big on poetic funeray dirges.

Also the image design and the appearance of the title 'Eir' appears to be more Celtic/Norse than anything (Eir was a Norse goddess/valkyrie of healing/medicine).

227 said:
Clearly a top-secret flashlight-wielding nocturnal spider sect.

Oh not more bloody Dark Elves....Hey! Somebody call Drow-b-gone.

slimgrin said:
It looks Celtic to me. I'm intrigued.
Well in a PC gamer article on it the author speculated from some of the lines that it may be irish/gaelic themed.
http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/09/10/a-mysterious-countdown-appears-on-obsidians-site/

I wish it was a spiritual successor to Alpha Protocol. I can't hope for a sequel ( and I am not sure I want one ) because of Sega but a spiritual successor? Hell yeah.

Aver

Forum veteran
CostinMoroianu said:
I wish it was a spiritual successor to Alpha Protocol. I can't hope for a sequel ( and I am not sure I want one ) because of Sega but a spiritual successor? Hell yeah.

I doubt that they would use fantasy graphics to tease about Alpha Protocol game. Also Alpha Protocol was a financial failure, so I doubt that they would be so eager to make another game in this style.

Aver said:
I doubt that they would use fantasy graphics to tease about Alpha Protocol game. Also Alpha Protocol was a financial failure, so I doubt that they would be so eager to make another game in this style.
Actually plenty of people at Obsidian want to do Alpha Protocol 2 but Sega won't do it because how bad the first one did.

True enough. I would however want a game like Alpha Protocol in terms of micro-choices. To this day the Halbech Betrayal Ending is amazing.

The Protagonist and Antagonist meet on a desolate island which houses a top secret black ops of the US at the end of the game. The antagonist then spends hours upon hours carefully deconstructing every single decision the protagonist has made and if these decisions have been the intelligent, pragmatic ones then the antagonist shows his admiration towards the protagonist. He then offers the protagonist the option to join him, fight the US black ops forces and get off the Island with certain sensitive information.

The protagonist agrees.

They fight their way out, killing or incapacitating the US troops in their way and then reach the boat that will take them out of here with the information, but as they reach the boat the protagonist suddenly reveals to the antagonist that he is no longer necesary.

The antagonist laughs it off and starts walking towards the boat but the protagonist stops him and starts listing every single ally that he has gained, then points to the information network he has created and then reiterates his point to the antagonist that he is no longer necesary. The antagonist pauses, realizing the truth and then finally asks if he is to be killed.

The protagonist pauses and then kills the anatagonist, thanking him for every he has taught him. Then he walks off onto the boat and into the sunset becoming Kane, Leader of the Brotherhood of Nod

Obviously the final part is a jest, but watching Mike Thorton walking on that boat felt like my character had become someone similar to people like Kane or the Illusive Man. It remains one of the best moments in video gaming history for me and I want another game that does something like that.

A new topic has appeared in the Obsidian forums. It's titled "(3) The book unread is unwritten."
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/59897-3-the-book-unread-is-unwritten/

The line this time is this.

The reason we don't explain it is the reason we use it. Its power is in its mystery. That is the Leaden Key, in part, in whole. Is it clear?

Digging for truth buries the seeker.

Also I went ahead and checked the source code on obsidian.net Unfortunately my internet sucks but thankfully someone else posted it on the obsidian forums.

Two centuries ago, your divine champion told the people of Dyrwood to grovel at his feet. If you've come on pilgrimage to the blasted crater that was our reply, Godhammer Citadel is *that* way.

Guest 2091327

I bet they are pissing themselves laughing at all the speculation.

Personally, I think it will be the spiritual successor to Tetris.

Maybe they are actually presenting their new, fantasy-themed, web-based countdown app. And you all thought it meant something else...

Top Bottom