Pity about "English" localisation

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pity about "English" localisation

It's probably just me. This is a European game, CDPR being based in Poland. So why is all the English actually American? I am actually getting more irked by American spelling everywhere than most things people are complaining about in the game :)

It's probably just me. This is a European game, CDPR being based in Poland. So why is all the English actually American? I am actually getting more irked by American spelling everywhere than most things people are complaining about in the game :)

Why a hell not? It is not like Poland is a part of, or has some special relation with Great Britain or something. GB is on the island anyway, so it is not much of Europe. :) A lot of voice actors are British, by the way.

Well because British English is only used at your country rest of the World either have their own accents and such or just use American English. Would have loved a bit aussie accent in the game btw :)

Most people not from Britain who speak English speak "American English" rather than British English. Using British English would alienate most players and would sound funny as hell to me.

I agree American English is more popular throughout the world, so it makes sense they use that... While british english is like it's own thing, just like with Austrians and their slang... at the same time you both understand American english fine, so most games go with the more universally accepted American English. It's nothing personal IMO it's just covering the biggest audience.
I love accents though, so I always hope for characters to have different accents :)

Last edited:
While I would love the game to have used British English spelling we have to accept that most people learn American English because the spelling is simpler. That said it really breaks my reading flow when I see a word like color instead of colour.

It's not so much the spelling that grates with me, it's the phrases that are sometimes used, like Geralt saying "The what now?". It sounds so Californamerican.

I think the Nilfgaardian language represents the more classic, european English, while the nordling language, or "common" language, spoken by Geralt, represents the "American" English

It's funny seeing all these responses from Americans trying to say that American (to give it it's real name) is spoken more than English :D

Of course, the real reason is because the biggest games buying audience who speak the language is American. Secondly, the world knows America is balshy as feck and would get the strop if they don't get their own way. Thirdly, we all know British people are far too polite to kick up to much fuss over it whereas America would go to war over it!

Let's be honest, all this crap in the other responses are just that famous American ego talking ;)

Last edited:
No offence m9, but people know and speak english because of the USA, not England.

Your accent may be the correct or original or w/e, but it's annoying to hear.

Movies, songs, games, everything that brings people together is American, and I for one prefer American and would have it no other way.

I wouldn't mind if they changed the name to American if it bothers English people that much.

It's funny seeing all these responses from Americans trying to say that American (to give it it's real name) is spoken more than English :D

Of course, the real reason is because the biggest games buying audience who speak the language is American. Secondly, the world knows America is balshy as feck and would get the strop if they don't get their own way. Thirdly, we all know British people are far too polite to kick up to much fuss over it whereas America would go to war over it!

Let's be honest, all this crap in the other responses are just that famous American ego talking ;)

Turkish here not American and i was one of the first ones saying it should be American English ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom