Places you can visit in witcher 3

+
Well, they did say the world would be 20% bigger than Skyrim's world.

So I don't think that excluding Aedirn and Lyria isn't that impossible. It depends on how big they make each area.
Also, it was mentioned that it takes 45 minutes to travel from the beginning to the end of the world on horseback, didn't they? I mean, if you look at the debut trailer, the horse goes pretty fast, faster than in Skyrim, that's almost for sure. On that slow horse in Skyrim it takes maybe 10 minutes to get from Whiterun to Riften? Add another 10 to get to Solitude? I'm just fetching here, I might time it myself to see how long it takes and then post it here.

What I'm getting at however, is that this world is legitimately huge, so I don't think Novigrad will be the only city and we might very well see places like Vengerberg, Vizima, etc. But maybe on a smaller scale than Novigrad, but still there.

The places I -really- hope to see are Cintra, Oxenfurt (Redania expansion maybe), Rivia, and of course all the small countryside villages. The one shown in the VGX trailer really gave me a Murky Waters vibe, which I sincerely love. I know I'm aboard of the hype train, that's for sure.

Having a large area is one thing, it's another to make detailed cities like Vizima. I think the hype for this game is getting peoples expectations way too high. I want plenty of cities and travel to Nilfgaard and Kaer Morhen too but someones gotta actually make this stuff and the people at CDPR have limits on how much they can do. That was clearly visible in TW2.

Btw what is so important with Skellige Islands to be included in witcher 3? Are they in the books a notable place or smth?

Btw what is so important with Skellige Islands to be included in witcher 3? Are they in the books a notable place or smth?

Well Ciri spent her early life on Skellige Islands... And we know that Wild Hunt razed one of the villages there, so Geralt went ti investigate that..

Here is my 100% accurate, no-way-in-hell-it-can-be-different-than-this, TW3 map.

A recreation of Vizima with the new graphics is very interested but... I dunno, as a guy said above mb a loss of resources.

A recreation of Vizima with the new graphics is very interested but... I dunno, as a guy said above mb a loss of resources.

A loss of ressources ?
Building a bunch of mountains instead of Vizima is a loss of ressources.

From a game design perspective it is the perfect opportunity to give the player the feeling of returning to a place they know
and to show what impact their previous decisions in the games have left on it, along with the changes during war.

I'd gladly welcome Vizima in my TW3 game, we'll have more than enough new places to explore if we get bored of it.

You just HAD to add Cintra didn't you? :p

I... I couldn't resist, @Kinl3y....

Last edited:
Here's hoping that Thanned Island will be in-game. That would be a fascinating place to explore. The school of Aretuza is still in use, right? Maybe it has become a hideout for a few Lodge members.

Here is my 100% accurate, no-way-in-hell-it-can-be-different-than-this, TW3 map.

Map's going to be a lot smaller than that. The devs said that the main Skellige island was already bigger than TW2, so apply that ~30 times and you'll get a general idea of how big it's going to be (you'd need to cut ~70% of the map). Probably sticking closely to the coast.

Last edited:

Seems right. Having Skellige and Novigrad on a single sandbox asks for most of Temeria to be included, I don't see how they could block the path to inland without resorting to some obvious artificial barrier. Besides, only featuring the shore would make a odd map design.

So by far we know that you visit Skellige Islands,Novigrad and something called No Man's land. So assuming we take the witcher fantasy world map and look at where skellige and novigrad is and we want to make a constant open world which places you think are going to be included till Nilfgaard? Because there's a lot of ground till Nilfgaard from Skellige Islands... So what are your thoughts?

It's no Skyrim. We will have:
1. Skellige islands.
2. City of Novigrad.
3. NML that is not so big as you want.

Novigrad is the biggest city. Flotsam from W2 = small village in W3.

Also it was confirmed that we would see some other locations (travel there during some specific quests).

Personally I hope we will visit Kaer Morhen and Brokilon.

Also, as we know that Dol Blatanna had to be in W2, maybe we will see it in W3 (briefly). I want to see the most beautiful woman of the Witcherworld.

..And it's 100% won't be this big :) you know it.

Well Ciri spent her early life on Skellige Islands... And we know that Wild Hunt razed one of the villages there, so Geralt went ti investigate that..

And ruler of Skellige Islands bound by an oath to protect Ciri and his son have personel reasons to help Geralt

It's no Skyrim.

..And it's 100% won't be this big :) you know it.

Developers confirmed its bigger than skyrim and it could actually be as big as that map EmperorZorne mentioned.It just depends on how they handle it and how each area is scaled.

Last edited:
EmperorZorn: I think this is too big. I don't think there will be Cintra. Brokilon could be borderline and I doubt there will be such a big inland. It would be much bigger then the devs said it is or the map would be crowded and everything would be too small.

Last edited:
Developers confirmed its bigger than skyrim and it could actually be as big as that map EmperorZorne mentioned.It just depends on how they handle it and how each area is scaled.

It's no Skyrim = Skyrim's map is too... crowded? Can't find the right word. In W3 we will get 1 archipelago, 1 big city and some (no one exactly knows how much) land.
EmperorZorn was joking. Cintra is out of the question.

It's no Skyrim = Skyrim's map is too... crowded? Can't find the right word. In W3 we will get 1 archipelago, 1 big city and some (no one exactly knows how much) land.
EmperorZorn was joking. Cintra is out of the question.

Skellige island, Novigrad and Noman's land are only confirmed names. They didn't say game have only one city and couple of islands AFAIK.

The devs said it's around 30-35 times bigger than TW2, with the main island of the Skellige archipelago being larger than TW2. One would assume that the scaling is universal across the whole open world. Now, if you literally cover the map with 30 rectangles roughly the same size as Skellige's main island, you're going to have to cut more than half the area highlighted by Zorn. And you'd still probably end up with a map bigger than the actual Witcher 3 world.

As for Skyrim, its scaling was awful - I don't really want to see villages made up of 2 houses and a garden in TW3.

• RED Point
Reactions: Yex
Top Bottom