Plans for CP2077/W3 on Steam Deck/Linux

+
Dear CDPR,

first of all, thank you very much for Cyberpunk 2077 and the Witcher series. I've been enjoying your games for a long time now and I am looking forward to what you will publish in the future.

Considering that the Steam Deck runs on Arch Linux, how are the plans for Linux support for Cyberpunk 2077 and the Witcher 3?

So far there have been no native Linux versions, although I am sure that many people would love to see them. On the Steam Deck it would be a shame to see Cyerpunk 2077 just running with Proton, losing a lot of performance this way.
Considering the great performance of Metro: Exodus on Linux (there is a native Linux version) I'd really hope to see the Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 natively on Linux, too.
Unfortunately, there is not even a Linux Gog client.

Especially considering the chip crisis, the fact that many people cannot upgrade their Win11-incompatible hardware and the additional fact that Win11 offers surprisingly poor performance so far, more offers for Linux users would be a really great thing - especially as with the stadia version a Linux version of CP2077 already seems to exist anyway.

The gaming forums and comment sections might be populated by people owning a lot of high-end hardware, but the vast majority of gamers in fact own relatively dated hardware. According to the current steam hardware survey, The most-used graphics cards are still GTX 1060 and similar even in 2021, so a lot of people would benefit from better support for playing on a way less hardware-hungry OS.

I will not tell the rest of the world to go switch to Linux or whatever because I know that, as cool as it is, it is not for everybody and I respect that. But it should be more pleasant to try it at least, and a lot of attraction comes from the games you can enjoy.

For me personally and many others, using Windows in the future is less and less an option considering the path Microsoft has been following since Windows 10. In fact, all the nonsense around Win11 finally led me to switch to Linux for real some months ago and I guess a significant amount of people are doing that, too.

It is of course not a majory, just a few percent of users. But we are still speaking about hundreds of thousands or even millions of users globally, considering that you are selling your games in the whole world.

I also think that DRM-free games but no Linux support somehow feels like a contradiction.
I prefer buying games on Gog, but how can it be that Steam offers every day more Linux support and Gog doesn't at all? That's really a shame.

Also considering that many people still hold a grudge towards CDPR due to the CP2077 launch and how everything went, opening yourself more the the free software/open source movement by providing native versions of your games would be a really great thing. Of course I am not expecting to get the source code to compile your games by myself ;)

A Cyberpunk 2077 and a Witcher 3, crafted as well for Linux as Metro: Exodus is.., that would be plain awesome.

Cheers!

Last edited:
yea we still waiting for GOG Galaxy native version and yea Stadia is linux we waiting

Top Bottom