Platform Discussion Thread

+

Which API do you think CP 2077 will use?

• Total voters
Source?
Besides, from steam stats (source: https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam ), we can see there is more Windows 7 users than AMD GPU users, so by your logic that means they should not make the game usable on AMD GPU?
widnows post surveys from time to time. most of the 7 usage is still business related. its partially what kept XP around for so long too.

steam shows a lot on 7 but they're largely not playing newer releases. the DX API has passed win 7 so anyone on 7 is locked out of playing games that don't run on the older APIs or OpenGL as it is.

its not likely gonna run on 7. a lot of new releases don't, not natively. They aren't a part of the target userbase, for the most part. more people eon AMD gpu's are gonna be interested in this game than people on Windows 7.

the DX API has passed win 7 so anyone on 7 is locked out of playing games that don't run on the older APIs or OpenGL as it is.

Only DX12 which is not really used often. DX11, OpenGL and Vulkan games work on Windows 7 as far as I know. So Windows 7 users don't feel pressured to switch. That will happen only once MS will shut down support for it.

Things will be developing interestingly going forward. With increasing Vulkan usage I expect MS to lose leverage over their graphics API as a stick to force people to upgrade.

Only DX12 which is not really used often. DX11, OpenGL and Vulkan games work on Windows 7 as far as I know. So Windows 7 users don't feel pressured to switch. That will happen only once MS will shut down support for it.
certain dx11 things wont work. it depends on what the devs include. there's a lot of games that don't have out of the box support for 7.

there's also RAM limits that are going to keep some 7 users from from running things. yes, people DID buy home basic.

windows 7 will be around a while. its just going to become increasingly cut off from gaming.

steam shows a lot on 7 but they're largely not playing newer releases.

What you say is baseless unless you gave some source for it.

the DX API has passed win 7 so anyone on 7 is locked out of playing games that don't run on the older APIs or OpenGL as it is.

Actually most games still works better on DirectX 11 than on DirectX 12.
Example:
Many games even get out with full DirectX11 support and Beta support only for DirectX 12.
Microsoft even chosed to finally have DirectX 12 on Windows 7 to change that, so that DirectX 12 finally become the new standard.

Last edited:
so that DirectX 12 finally become the new standard.

MS realized, that not supporting DX12 on Windows 7 was against their own lock-in attitude, since it gave Vulkan an edge. Hopefully their push of DX12 on Windows 7 won't help them stop that, and developers will be using DX12 even less going forward.

What you say is baseless unless you gave some source for it.

the source is the fact that some newer games don't run on windows 7.

they CANT play those games, I don't need to cite a source for that. ther's no guessing involved.

windows 7 is limiting. some installations are locked at 8 GB of ram and the premium version is locked at 16GB. hard ware is going to make it obsolete at some point. its not just about the API, there's a bunch of hardware limitations that 7 isn't equipped to deal with and that's not going to change.

the source is the fact that some newer games don't run on windows 7.
they CANT play those games, I don't need to cite a source for that. ther's no guessing involved.

Microsoft Games, yeah, normal as they are trying to sell Windows 10 to gamers, but outside of those few?
Which of those "newer games" doesn't run on Windows 7?

windows 7 is limiting. some installations are locked at 8 GB of ram and the premium version is locked at 16GB. hard ware is going to make it obsolete at some point. its not just about the API, there's a bunch of hardware limitations that 7 isn't equipped to deal with and that's not going to change.

I still wait for those games which minimum configuration will need more than 8GB of ram.
Won't be C2077, that's for sure, as it's also releasing on current gen console and that CDprojekt guy doesn't makes horribly bad optimisations.

What you say may be true, but not before yearS, plural.

I mean, if you want to run it at min, sure, but don't think too many people coasting on the edge of the specs are a huge part of the audience.

Minus running them on windows 7 doesn't makes you use minimum setting.
I play those on Ultra setting with high fps count.

The OS is actually the thing that have the less effect on how the games runs, far behind GPU, CPU and RAM...

Minus running them on windows 7 doesn't makes you use minimum setting.
I play those on Ultra setting with high fps count.

The OS is actually the thing that have the less effect on how the games runs, far behind GPU, CPU and RAM...
windows 7 doesn't make you do anything. I'm talking about the people running versions that can only run 8GB of ram or less. a lot of people stayed on home basic. being restricted to 8GB is going to hurt your performance a ton.

and you play what on ultra? what fps? that's great, but like everything, the userbase is gonna be a spectrum, and I highly doubt youre a typical win 7 user.

windows 7 doesn't make you do anything. I'm talking about the people running versions that can only run 8GB of ram or less. a lot of people stayed on home basic. being restricted to 8GB is going to hurt your performance a ton.

Already responded that:
"I still wait for those games which minimum configuration will need more than 8GB of ram.
Won't be C2077, that's for sure, as it's also releasing on current gen console and that CDprojekt guy doesn't makes horribly bad optimisations. "

and you play what on ultra? what fps? that's great, but like everything, the userbase is gonna be a spectrum, and I highly doubt youre a typical win 7 user.

People on Steam deliberatingly choosing not to change OS are the ones who actually care about their PC.
Those who don't just take a new, fully mounted PC.

People you are talking about are the one who doesn't takes time to answer steam polls.

Besides, I'm still waiting for you to cite some of those "some newer games don't run on windows 7" that you spoke before.:shrug:

People on Steam deliberatingly choosing not to change OS are the ones who actually care about their PC.
Those who don't just take a new, fully mounted PC.

People you are talking about are the one who doesn't takes time to answer steam polls.

or you know, its people not updating anything. they're probably not deliberately doing anything.

most people doing new builds are still updating their OS.

the steam polls don't even require you to do anything, Steam just pulls the info itself and asks your permission.

Hi,
First off, I love CDPR and GOG and will buy the game from GOG store. I already ordered a collectors edition for PS4 (got lucky). But what I want to know is if CyberPunk 2077 will be playable on Steam for linux? I have a linux laptop with RTX 2070 and it actually plays quite a few steam games and it's smooth as butter.

I tried Witcher 3 and that would not install however, but I'm hoping CP2077 will work.

Anyone know if it will? If not, why not?

I think Steam for linux uses some kind of magic to make the games work. They are not (obviously) programmed natively for linux.

Thanks!

Steam has Proton now, which I believe is a way to get non-Linux games to run on the OS. So the answer is, we don't know, but it's possible.

What we do know is that, for the time being, no Linux ports have been announced -- official ones, that is.

Ok, thanks. Yeah, Proton does run "some" games and they run faster than on Windows in many cases. I suppose if CDPR don't do anything to prohibit it, then it will work. I don't think they have to do much extra for this to work and it would be a great step in the free and owned OS/content space, which I know GOG endorses.

Ok, thanks. Yeah, Proton does run "some" games and they run faster than on Windows in many cases. I suppose if CDPR don't do anything to prohibit it, then it will work. I don't think they have to do much extra for this to work and it would be a great step in the free and owned OS/content space, which I know GOG endorses.
I'm rooting for you Linux folks. I don't use the OS myself, but I appreciate it very much for what it is and what it tries to do. Hopefully, you get a playable experience one way or another!

Speaking of other platforms, what about Arduino? (not to run the game, as an accessory)
I was looking around for Cyberpunk merch before I designed this.
It's a concept design for an Arduino board themed on Cyberpunk-2077. A custom themed UNO also came to mind.
I'm wondering if CD PROJEKT RED could team up with Arduino/Atmel/Adafruit to make this thing a reality...

Arduino-Cyberpunk-2077.png
Cyberpunk-UNO.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom