Platform Discussion Thread

+

Which API do you think CP 2077 will use?

• Total voters
PC

Rtx 2080 TI 11gb Gpu
I7-8700
3.2ghz 16gb Ram
Msi-Z390 mobo
1tb SSd
850w psu

Still waiting on all my components to arrive, but I had the opportunity to upgrade and This game is a HUGE factor in why I chose to do so!! I'm anticipating becoming completely immersed in this world <3

AMD finally released a new version of their amdvlk Vulkan driver with fixes for TW3, so it's not crashing after startup anymore. Performance is slightly better than radv:

amdvlk:

radv:

If using amdvlk, don't forget to enable disk shader cache, it's off by default (only runtime cache is used if you don't enable it):

in
$HOME/.config/amdPalSettings.cfg
Code:
ShaderCacheMode 2

Cache is stored in: $HOME/.cache/AMD/LlpcCache

This isnt a Witcher 3 thread nor the right sub section of the forum.
This is a general thread for platform discussion -- including Witcher 3 on Linux. From the OP (underline for emphasis):
[Sard Edit: With CDPR having listed the platforms for CP2077 as PC, Xbox and PS4, this will be a general discussion thread for all platforms - including Linux, Mac, PC, Consoles, VR...their strengths, weaknesses and aspects relating to CDPR games.]

Additionally, if you cannot post constructively, then please do not post at all. There's no need or place here for remarks like yours (especially when they are false).

AMD finally released a new version of their amdvlk Vulkan driver with fixes for TW3, so it's not crashing after startup anymore. Performance is slightly better than radv:

amdvlk:

radv:

If using amdvlk, don't forget to enable disk shader cache, it's off by default (only runtime cache is used if you don't enable it):

in
$HOME/.config/amdPalSettings.cfg
Code:
ShaderCacheMode 2

Cache is stored in: $HOME/.cache/AMD/LlpcCache
Awesome stuff, the game looks fantastic.

What hardware is that running on? I just see RX Vega, but not the specific model, nor the CPU etc.

Would also be curious as to what settings it's running at.

Last edited:
Awesome stuff, the game looks fantastic.

What hardware is that running on? I just see RX Vega, but not the specific model, nor the CPU etc.

Would also be curious as to what settings it's running at.

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X stock clocking (8 cores / 16 threads, 32 GB / 3200 MHz clocked DDR4 RAM).
GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX Vega 56 (8 GB VRAM).
Resolution: 1920x1200.
Linux kernel (affects amdgpu kernel driver): 5.0-rc7.

The game runs on max settings (hairworks is disabled), ambient occlusion: HBAO+.

I really like how dxvk and open AMD Vulkan and kernel drivers shaped up. They handle TW3 outstandingly now.
Post automatically merged:

Some more screenshots, I don't remember if I posted these before (using a bit older version of dxvk and radv). In the wilderness framerate is higher, which is expected.

Meditating in Velen:

Note: above pictures are already JPEGs, not original screenshot PNGs, so quality is a bit reduced. Uploading huge PNGs doesn't really work with Imgur.

Last edited:
As many expected, Google unveiled their gaming service Stadia, powered by Linux and Vulkan:

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/artic...aming-service-built-on-linux-and-vulkan.13792

While personally I'm not in the least interested in "streaming" games, which is even worse than other forms of DRM, the fact that more studios will support Linux and Vulkan is quite big. If Google service will be lucrative enough, we can even see CDPR and the like releasing games there, which end up with them coming out DRM-free as well. So overall it's a good thing for Linux gaming.

As many expected, Google unveiled their gaming service Stadia, powered by Linux and Vulkan:

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/artic...aming-service-built-on-linux-and-vulkan.13792

While personally I'm not in the least interested in "streaming" games, which is even worse than other forms of DRM, the fact that more studios will support Linux and Vulkan is quite big. If Google service will be lucrative enough, we can even see CDPR and the like releasing games there, which end up with them coming out DRM-free as well. So overall it's a good thing for Linux gaming.

Yeah, it doesn't help that their service sucks. I tried their Project Stream thing for Odyssey and it was awful. Sub-30FPS even with gigabit internet despite their claims to the contrary, blurry resolution. The latency was OK.

I'm glad it could be a net positive for Linux, but I'm really disappointed to see that this is apparently the direction the gaming industry is going. Not surprised, just disappointed.

Console holders will always look for ways to exert more control over their customers. The only reason the Xbox One failed so hard on launch is that Microsoft got the timing wrong- people are perfectly fine with all of the shady stuff the Xbone was doing at first now, but at the time, they were still used to previous generations.

Now, they've been slowly worn down and conditioned. Physical games? Not always-online connections? Pffft, who needs 'em!

Choombas'! Google coming in hot! 4k gaming in 60 fps on ANY device? Performance subjected to JUST bandwidth? Is this possible? Skeptical? good, you should be, but this is daring and ambitious and... game changing :D if true.

Take a look, share impressions!:

Cool idea, but temper your expectations. Despite their promises, Google has not delivered on 4K/60FPS yet (I know because I tried their Project Stream thing).

I'm open to this as an alternative for people who can't afford PCs/consoles, but I'm vehemently against it as a complete replacement for those platforms. Are people really so eager to give up control of the stuff they buy?

Cool idea, but temper your expectations. Despite their promises, Google has not delivered on 4K/60FPS yet (I know because I tried their Project Stream thing).

I'm open to this as an alternative for people who can't afford PCs/consoles, but I'm vehemently against it as a complete replacement for those platforms. Are people really so eager to give up control of the stuff they buy?

They touch on that at about the 40 min mark.
Project stream worked with 1080p - 60fps
Stadia (the new platform) will, at launch, support 4k 60 fps. Allegedly, ofc.

No, i'm not expecting anyone (Stadia included) to take away what i own or buy. If they want to establish a foothold, they need to make Stadia work ON TOP of what is already available to players and developers. It's not like Sony or Microsoft are going to roll over and die.

Project stream with 1080/60fps will be already at least 3 step forward from any console in this generation...

Sounds like a nice little curiosity.

Doesn’t offer anything (at all) to me, though.

It could offer a lot to developers though, so indirectly to people that are not interested in that kind of accessibility. I mean, the computing power behind it is... One of a kind.

They touch on that at about the 40 min mark.
Project stream worked with 1080p - 60fps
Stadia (the new platform) will, at launch, support 4k 60 fps. Allegedly, ofc.

No, i'm not expecting anyone (Stadia included) to take away what i own or buy. If they want to establish a foothold, they need to make Stadia work ON TOP of what is already available to players and developers. It's not like Sony or Microsoft are going to roll over and die.

Ah, 1080p - my apologies. Either way, it was blurry and certainly not 60 FPS (lower than 30, from what I could tell).

As for the other stuff, my concern isn't that Sony and Microsoft will roll over and die, it's that they will adopt the same approach.

If worst comes to worst, eventually, the only hardware-based gaming that will still be left is PCs, and who knows - perhaps developers will decide that our audience just isn't worth catering to anymore. I don't know if things will go that far, but it will certainly mean big changes for the PC industry one way or another.

Even the most hardcore of PC players will have to give themselves a pretty damn good reason not to spend, say, $15 a month to play all the games they could ever want at any FPS and resolution they want instead of shelling out hundreds of dollars upgrading their PCs.

I could be wrong, but as it stands, I'm assuming corporate greed will win out. Sorry to be negative, but these are my beliefs.

It could offer a lot to developers though, so indirectly to people that are not interested in that kind of accessibility. I mean, the computing power behind it is... One of a kind.

Yeah, I believe in might well do that. Up to a point, at least.

My opinion is just that "computing power" hasn't really been a real issue for a long while anymore, but it's rather made to be that by excessively focusing on everything superficial in games that makes them more resource intensive, which in turn - I would guess as a layman - creates a snowball effect with everything else the game has to offer and roll on the screen. So in that sense I don't see much point with this kind of thing.

I'm sure some will run to release games as streaming only. But others won't, which hopefully includes CDPR in the long term as well. So if CDPR joins Stadia, they'll likely either make sure CP2077 runs very well in Wine, or more likely will make a proper native Linux/Vulkan release. Either way it would be a win for Linux gaming.

I'm also interested in Google commenting how and if they are using Wine in their service to run Windows only games that weren't ported yet.

https://stadia.dev/blog/welcome-to-stadia

Google believes that open source is good for everyone. It enables and encourages collaboration and the development of technology, solving real-world problems. This is especially true on Stadia, as we believe the game development community has a strong history of collaboration, innovation and shared gains as techniques and technology continually improve. We’re investing in open-source technology to create the best platform for developers, in partnership with the people that use it. This starts with our platform foundations of Linux and Vulkan and shows in our selection of GPUs that have open-source drivers and tools. We’re integrating LLVM and DirectX Shader Compiler to ensure you get great features and performance from our compilers and debuggers. State-of-the-art graphics tools are critical to game developers, and we’re excited to leverage and contribute to RenderDoc, GAPID and Radeon GPU Profiler — best of breed open-source graphics debugging and profiling tools that are continually improving.

One very interesting comment on GOL from a Google insider:

Disclaimer: I work at Google (though not on Stadia), previously Eidos Montreal (Shadow of the Tomb Raider).

Games running on Stadia are primarily native. Yeap, engines you never dreamed would support Linux, now do thanks to Google.

As Stadia has its own SDK, porting from Stadia to Desktop means adding SDL support and supporting the desktop swapchains. Personally, I think the biggest hurdle with desktop support would be testing and bug fixing, as with Stadia the game is really just tested on AMD. That said, as a desktop Linux gamer myself, I'm certainly hoping this would help get us more AAA games. If nothing, all the open source work means better mesa, faster kernel, more advanced profilers etc which are all good for our cause.

Last edited:
Top Bottom