Platform Discussion Thread

+

Which API do you think CP 2077 will use?

• Total voters
Well, I'll put it this way: last year, I started having a few issues that still haven't been resolved with Chrome. It affects the two computers I normally use, but not in the same ways (images won't display, websites don't load 100%, hotkeys stop functioning, AdBlock will randomly suspend, bookmarks are not saving properly or are being overwritten by other people's bookmarks from other accounts on my PC, etc.) Google support has not been able to do anything to resolve it. It still "works", but it's dysfunctional in odd places. They assure me it is not anything with my account, but they can't offer any solution or explain what may have happened. (I've been using Firefox almost exclusively for the past year to get around it.)

Small issues, truly, but these are things going wrong with just the browser itself. Now, they're going to create a universal, real-time, online-only, server-based system that not only hosts and markets games, but actually runs them for every person in the world that happens to be playing it at that point. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great idea, and I do think it will eventually work.

But, I don't think it's going to have issues at the beginning -- I think it's going to be a small disaster that has massive problems for years after it's released.

I think the major factor will be bandwidth. The fibre-optic "hubs" with direct connections to the Stadia servers is a great idea. But how people connect to those hubs is still going to be limited by a whole spectrum of different hardware with different performance. I know that the games will inherently "stream"...but there will still be a need to send packages back and forth for things like input commands, dynamic sounds, multiplayer sync. When I think of how often I experience problems with even long-established streaming sites like YouTube or Twitch, I can only take my hat off to Google for even attempting something like this on modern hardware.

But, gotta start somewhere! :D

Any computer problems are frustrating as hell :)

But what you can do, if what they say is true is to make a gaming computer. Meaning a very poor and cheap one with only windows and chrome running on it. What could go wrong? :D

I just got a 100 mbit connection so im ready for anything.....hopefully.. (But then again internet is rather cheap where I live :)) but yeah connections and stuff that you wont be able to control will be a problem, but on the other hand, this technology could accelerate online development as other companies or Google might expand into new areas other than gaming that could use a lot of computer power.

One thing however that is going to be interesting, if we run with the idea, that everything that Google have said is going to work perfectly with no flaws what so ever!!. Is how the computer hardware industry will react to this, for instant most people need disk space for games or images/videos. A person not using any of those things, really don't need a huge harddisk. And if people don't need powerful computers to run games anymore, it could change the industry quite a lot I think. Maybe even more than expected.

My computer is about 6-7 years old I think, so its a zombie compared to what you can get now. And the only reason I would get a new one is due to making 3D and games. But since I can make 3D with it, despite it being a bit slow and it could benefit a lot from a powerful computer there is only games left. So if I only played on it, I honestly can't see any reason why I would go out and buy a new one? Everything else like browsing, movies, music etc. runs perfectly fine. And even most games I care to play, doesn't require a much faster computer. So Stadia would completely remove any desire I would have to buy a new one, if I only played on it.

Last edited:
All this, "let's replace PC with a thin client" idea exists for years and tries to spell doom for PC for years. Don't worry, PC isn't going anywhere, someone has to make things that work even on Stadia. And making it on your local PC is a lot more comfortable.

All this, "let's replace PC with a thin client" idea exists for years and tries to spell doom for PC for years. Don't worry, PC isn't going anywhere, someone has to make things that work even on Stadia. And making it on your local PC is a lot more comfortable.

If what they say in the presentation is true, you can see that they are using a cheap computer to run Assassins Creed Odyssey on without any issues. So if that's the case and games are released on Stadia, I would think that the need for high end computers are going to drastically decline in demand.

Why would it be more comfortable on a local PC? You would most likely be unable to notice a different, besides the way you start the game?

If what they say in the presentation is true, you can see that they are using a cheap computer to run Assassins Creed Odyssey on without any issues. So if that's the case and games are released on Stadia, I would think that the need for high end computers are going to drastically decline in demand.

Why would it be more comfortable on a local PC? You would most likely be unable to notice a different, besides the way you start the game?
PCs are about far more than games, and PC gamers like them for far more than games.

I said about those who make things. Thin client is useless for creators. And many PC gamers actually like assembling PCs as well as being able to set performance level according to how much they invest in their hardware, so I don't see this going anywhere.

PCs are about far more than games, and PC gamers like them for far more than games.

Don't get me wrong, computers are more. But what else that "normal" people do, requires a high end computer? Im not saying that people wont buy computers.

a PC running the same game locally at 60 fps has 100ms less input lag than stadia, that's inside human reaction times different. you will feel the shit out of that. (and that with an optimal connection, which is not very likely in the real world)

a PC running the same game locally at 60 fps has 100ms less input lag than stadia, that's inside human reaction times different. you will feel the shit out of that. (and that with an optimal connection, which is not very likely in the real world)

When I play online I have less than 30ms which I believe is pretty common, so if you can live with that in online games, why wouldn't you be able to do that in single player games? I honestly don't think you would notice

When I play online I have less than 30ms which I believe is pretty common, so if you can live with that in online games, why wouldn't you be able to do that in single player games? I honestly don't think you would notice

Because that 30 ms is not all the time, you can get horrible lag spikes in online games that render them unplayable, and it's not usually your computer or the servers causing that. it's the interconnected networks (inter net) between you and the data centre that the games are talking to.

if that's the only way you get to play games you are shit out of luck till that subsides.

But what you can do, if what they say is true is to make a gaming computer. Meaning a very poor and cheap one with only windows and chrome running on it. What could go wrong? :D

One thing however that is going to be interesting, if we run with the idea, that everything that Google have said is going to work perfectly with no flaws what so ever!!. Is how the computer hardware industry will react to this, for instant most people need disk space for games or images/videos. A person not using any of those things, really don't need a huge harddisk. And if people don't need powerful computers to run games anymore, it could change the industry quite a lot I think. Maybe even more than expected.

That's very true, and a very interesting consideration. In fact -- this could be an ideal approach to Stadia as a whole. Such a computer would not need 3D performance at all -- just the best possible internet connection and blazingly fast 2D performance. (All it needs to do is display pre-rendered frames.) Offering a Stadia "console" for a couple hundred bucks that comes with a fibre-optic / 10 Gigabit connection would probably make both players and developers jump all over it.

That could open up a whole new world of potential...

...but this is always going to remain true, I think. It's like when home gaming systems were first released in teh '70s. It didn't spell the end of video arcades or pinball machines; it was simply a new branch. Despite all the advancements over the next decades, pinball machines are still around.

Totally agree. PC, console, and mobile gaming will be around and very popular for a long while yet.

Because that 30 ms is not all the time, you can get horrible lag spikes in online games that render them unplayable, and it's not usually your computer or the servers causing that. it's the interconnected networks (inter net) between you and the data centre that the games are talking to.

if that's the only way you get to play games you are shit out of luck till that subsides.

Yeah. Even though my rig has plenty of power to spare, I'm stuck using 20 Mbps wireless for gaming. (Can't do any work on the walls to run a line; going around is too far.) Most games are utterly unplayable. Those I can get running reasonably well still have noticeable lag, package loss, and disconnects.

All hail the glory of Single-Player Button! Praise be to 1P!

But regardless of connection being good or bad. For most people that are playing any multiplayer games does so online, very few games run on split screen, so dealing with latency is just how it is, so realistically no one will have 0 ms unless playing on the server :D

So I agree for people with very poor connections, Stadia is not a good solution, but for anyone else which are used to playing online games, MMOs, 3d Shooters etc. I think it would be fine, if it can keep the same MS as we are used to.
Post automatically merged:

Yeah. Even though my rig has plenty of power to spare, I'm stuck using 20 Mbps wireless for gaming. (Can't do any work on the walls to run a line; going around is too far.) Most games are utterly unplayable. Those I can get running reasonably well still have noticeable lag, package loss, and disconnects.

All hail the glory of Single-Player Button! Praise be to 1P!

Found this one from an article:

In an interview with Kotaku, Google VP Phil Harrison said 30 megabits per second will be the recommended limit for streaming games in 4K resolution at 60 frames per second. Testing Project Stream last fall, Harrison says 1080p/60 “required approximately 25 megabits per second,” but suggests that it is possible to hit those benchmarks with a slower connection. Regardless, it all happens automatically, so you won’t have to adjust anything.

https://bgr.com/2019/03/22/google-stadia-connection-speed-requirements-4k-60fps/

Console: Xbox One X
TV: Sony X900E (HDR, 4K)

and/or, eh who am I kidding, "AND"...

Video Card: GeForce 1080Ti
CPU: i7-8700K
Memory: 64GB DDR3
Storage: 1TB Samsung 960 Pro

Any CDPR game deserves serious power to bring out the full juicy goodness, so Serious PC is Serious...

[No platform wars here. Image removed. -Drac]

But even more seriously, I am sure it will be fine on consoles too ;-)

My platform??
Humm.. VALVE INDEX!
I will not play this game until there is a VR edition.. or if in 3 or 4 years there isn't a vr edition yet, well, on my pc.
But I Will wait at least 3 or 4 years for a vr announcement. If yes, I Will play it with the best pc posibble on that moment, no matter what.

Rocket platform! BOOOOOM!

Awwwwwwwww........pop?

They said already they have been in talk with Google about Cyberpunk.

I read that hundreds of devs has contacted Google, but so far only devs Ive seen participating in Stadia is Googles New Studio, BGS, EA and Ubisoft. I personally hope they wont accept all devs. Instead they should pursue for bigger investors, than filling their store with all kind of crap. What Stadia could offer for big investors is the gigantic visibility from YouTube, etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom