Platform Discussion Thread

+

Which API do you think CP 2077 will use?

• Total voters
A lot of interesting updates about the progress of Vulkan ecosystem:

Post automatically merged:

The Witcher 3 referenced in that Siggraph presentation in the context of dxvk and progress of gaming on Linux that Vulkan enabled :)

Last edited:
Oh, great confirmation! So CDPR are now going to be making Linux/Vulkan version of CP2077 (for Stadia)! Which I suppose means hiring Linux developers, gaining Vulkan expertise and all jazz. That's huge.

@Marcin Momot: what about the desktop Linux release? Now you have very little standing in the way of it.

I don't think Canonical has any effect on this. And 32-bit support has no bearing on any upcoming games.

Last edited:
32 bits supports is essential for steam and legacy games. Ubuntu WAS the reference distro for games. I think it is not anymore. There is no more reference distro. Valve has hinted at a broader support for more distros. But GoG !?

Just finished my build (Ryzen 9 3900X / Sapphire Pulse RX 5700XT).

TW3 running in Wine on Linux, using Mesa-master/llvm 10 (1920x1200 on max settings):

Pretty good boost from Vega 56.

They made a linux build for Stadia?

They will, to release for Stadia which requires Linux build. I don't know if they already have one, or only plan to make it later. May be Stadia release will come after their initial April one, so may be they didn't yet work on the Linux porting to do it.
Post automatically merged:

d9vk now renders TW1 in Wine perfectly (using Vulkan, instead of OpenGL like classic Wined3d). Resulting performance has also skyrocketed in comparison:

Last edited:

PS5 coming on holidays 2020.

Confirmed features:

SSD
Ray tracing (with a dedicated chip for it)
haptic feedback
adaptive triggers
backward compatibility

Given CDPR's respect for customers, I expect (demand?) CP2077 to receive a FREE patch for ps5 (and scarlett) with all the upgrades to support those technologies.

I just hope that they developed the game for PC first and didn't compromise on the graphics/content. The last gen console are 7 years old now so they have to have a dedicated PC build with graphics appropriate for modern systems.

Calling them last generation is a misnomer. They are many generations behind current technology :) Old gen is more like it.

Likely though, the game will be compromised. Supporting seven year old hardware means cutting some demanding features, since not everything can easily become optional.

One such example is how slow world map is loading in TW3 when you click the map key. That delay is irritating. I think that was poor design due to consoles having limited RAM (so developers didn't want to keep the map in RAM all the time). That never improved, so I expect similar issues to spill into CP2077.

Trying to avoid that, means essentially making two different versions. One for modern computers, one for nearly obsolete 7 year old ones. And maintaning such two versions isn't something most developers want to spend money on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom