Platform Discussion Thread

+

Which API do you think CP 2077 will use?

• Total voters
Lisbeth_Salander;n9776761 said:
There is also a 4th option to legally buy and play Cyberpunk 2077 while fully supporting CDPR.

Not for me. In the past I was gladly supporting them, but after this, I'm not so eager. For CDPR to fix this, they'd need to release CP2077 for Linux, or at the very least TW3 itself.

Gilrond-i-Virdan;n9776771 said:
Not for me. In the past I was gladly supporting them, but after this, I'm not so eager. For CDPR to fix this, they'd need to release CP2077 for Linux, or at the very least TW3 itself.

Why don't we forget the past? Developers make tons of deals with microsoft to not launch games in linux.

Lisbeth_Salander;n9776831 said:
Why don't we forget the past? Developers make tons of deals with microsoft to not launch games in linux.

Sure. I don't hold grudges, but I'm not going to buy games from developers who don't release for Linux either. That's not limited to CDPR, it really applies generally.

I can make an exception for older games that no one works on anymore. I'm OK with playing them in Wine. But for new ones - no way. Especially someone like CDPR who have the money to make a proper Linux release.

Last edited:
Gilrond-i-Virdan;n9776851 said:
Sure. I don't hold grudges, but I'm not going to buy games from developers who don't release for Linux either. That's not limited to CDPR, it really applies generally.

I can make an exception for older games that no one works on anymore. I'm OK with playing them in Wine. But for new ones - no way. Especially someone like CDPR who have the money to make a proper Linux release.

So you're not going to buy 99% of AAA games out there? Why almost all game developers don't make games for linux? Do you think it's a coinscidence? It's not,

if developers like CDPR start making games for Linux then a number of customers would have a motive less to buy a original version of Microsoft Wndows. When the managers over Microsoft realise this, they manipulate developers into not making games for Linux. And with "manipulate" I mean force, because Microsoft owns Windows and Xbox, so they have the high ground.

I'm sure this happens with games because it happens with apps and programs. Developers have no choice.

Last edited:
Lisbeth_Salander;n9776891 said:
So you're not going to buy 99% of AAA games out there?

I won't. And I don't find "AAA" to be something I'm specifically interested in. I'm interested in games which are good, not because they are funded by publishers or have huge budgets. There are too many so called "AAA" games that are throwaway works that are not worth any attention.

Why do almost all game developers don't make games for linux?

Well, those who release for Linux actually do make money on it. The question is rather, why some don't release for Linux. And I have no clue really. I don't think MS have so much leverage as you describe above. More probable reason is corporate inertia.

See for example recent game which was partially funded by MS - Cuphead. Developers explicitly said, they are interested in Linux release. MS doesn't seem to prevent it. At the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if MS tried doing that. MS is MS.

if developers like CDPR start making games for Linux then a number of customers would have a motive less to buy a original version of Microsoft Wndows.

Indeed. Actually, the current growth of Linux gaming directly contributes to the growth of Linux usage itself. A lot of former Windows and macOS users switch to Linux, when they can also play games on it.

Last edited:
What companies do to have a good image...even say they have interest in linux. Microsoft has the high ground.

1. Most game developers want to release games for PS4, XBOX ONE and PC, cause it makes way more money than releasing in only one platform.
2. Let's say a certain developer called Developer X also wants to release their game for Linux
3. Microsoft realising this, know that they don't want people to stop buying Microsoft Windows, since Linux is free but Windows is not
4.Microsoft says that if Developer X wants to release their game on both Xbox One and Microsoft Windows, then Developer X must not release their game for Linux

It's either Xbox and Microsoft or Linux.

Last edited:
Lisbeth_Salander;n9776951 said:
4.Microsoft says that if Developer X wants to release their game on both Xbox One and Microsoft Windows, then Developer X must not release their game for Linux

It's either Xbox and Microsoft or Linux.

Some developers can ditch MS and ignore such blackmailing. See for example Star Citizen by Cloud Imperium. They said openly they don't care about consoles, and they do plan Linux release eventually. In the end, if MS would be doing it to developers it would hurt their own console which won't be getting those games. Companies like inXile, Obsidian and etc. release for Xbox, and they release for Linux even on day one. So it shows that if developers want it, they can release cross platform just fine. And I'm sure someone like CDPR have more than enough money to ignore any MS blackmail.

Last edited:
Yeah, there are some exceptions. But if a game developer has to chose between releasing their gsmes...which one makes more money, to release your game on both Windows and Xbox One, or to release your game on Linux alone?

You're rigjt, there are exceptions, but the majority of those are not AAA games. And if I'm right, tell me that releasing a game in Linux instead of XBox and Windows wouldn't hurt your sales a lot. Hell, the fact that almost all AAA games aren't released on Linux, perhaps indicates that it hurts the he game's sales a lot to release it on Linux.

Last edited:
Lisbeth_Salander;n9776981 said:
Yeah, there are some exceptions. But if a game developer has to chose between releasing their gsmes...which one makes more money, to release your game on both Windows and Xbox One, or to release your game on Linux alone?

MS can't stop them releasing for Windows, so at the most they'll lose Xbox only. And I'm sure Sony will be more than delighted to scoop up a game for their console that won't be released on Xbox ;) I think the practice of exclusives is gradually dying out these days.

Lisbeth_Salander;n9776981 said:
Hell, the fact that almost all AAA games aren't released on Linux, perhaps indicates that it hurts the he game's sales a lot to release it on Linux.

Not really. It shows that some corporate execs are too backwards thinking. I don't trust in their rationality even a bit. And increasing number of studios do release for Linux these days. Including big budget games, so we can see it has nothing to do with the market not being ready.

Last edited:
What system or PC will you be playing 2077 on?

Hey, everyone.

Naturally, none of us know how demanding Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be, but I thought I'd get a read on the sorts of systems everybody plans to use to play the game - assuming it doesn't come out 8 years from now, that is...

Personally, I'll be playing on PC. I built it myself a couple years ago.

Video Card: GeForce GTX 970
CPU: i5 4690K
Memory: 16GB DDR3 (Screw memory prices)
Storage: 500GB SSD, Samsung

Only difference between my rig as it stands now and how it'll probably be when 2077 releases is the video card - I plan to upgrade to a 1080 Ti to future-proof it a bit better, but video card prices are through the roof right now so that's not happening till next month.

What about you guys? Are you playing on a PC yourself, an Xbox One, PS4, or the latest-gen versions (PS4 pro and Xbone X)? Do you see yourself making any changes in the next year/year and a half?

Also, why do you prefer the system you're playing on?

Not a pc player just playstation so I will play it on PS4 or maybe PS4 pro or PS5 or PS5 pro or....but yeah I will be prepared when the game releases.

By the way you forgot a poll! Such a topic needs a poll and if you don't add it Sard will do it for sure....he loves polls you know.....

What platform will you play Cyberpunk 2077 on?

Snowflakez made a new thread with a poll and then merged your thread into it. Vote for your choice people, and comment below. But remember ... NO PLATFORM WARS.

I voted for playstation, although I may end up on PC depending on a number of factors.

if the game launches until 2020 I will play on my gtx 980 amp

After setting up a PC with the latest and most powerful nvidia card at the same time I did at the time I set up mine, the next PC I want to run all games in 4K

Last edited:
Simple ... I don't, have no plans to ever, own any sort of console.
I don't do "Action" games and so far every worthwhile RPG and "real" wargame has come out on PC.

Suhiira;n10239372 said:
Simple ... I don't, have no plans to ever, own any sort of console.
I don't do "Action" games and so far every worthwhile RPG and "real" wargame has come out on PC.

Very true. What are your specs? Anything you feel you'll tweak or change by 2019/2020?

Rawls;n10239182 said:
Snowflakez made a new thread with a poll and then merged your thread into it. Vote for your choice people, and comment below. But remember ... NO PLATFORM WARS.

Thanks! I didn't know we could make polls.

PC for sure, here. This will likely be the demanding type of game where I'll wait until about a month before release an upgrade my GPUs. :)

Suhiira;n10239562 said:
Might need to upgrade my GTX 970, we'll see.
This is my issue with my notebook. It carries a GTX 960m which was solid in 2015 ... but I worry as time marches on. I don't see myself buying a new one anytime soon. Hence ... probably Playstation.

Razrback16;n10239752 said:
PC for sure, here. This will likely be the demanding type of game where I'll wait until about a month before release an upgrade my GPUs. :)

Good move! I'm upgrading sooner so I can play a few other demanding games coming out this year, but I may do so again if another generation of video cards launches around/slightly before 2077's release.

Top Bottom