Played thru The Witcher on vista without constant crashes?

+
Played thru The Witcher on vista without constant crashes?

This poll is to be constructive about a common issue with the witcher. If you vote feel free to post your experiences with it or else just select an option if you don't have the time.I was compelled to make this poll from my own experiences with the witcher on both xp and vista, I wish I'd never made the switch over to vista from xp. I'd personally like to see people on here say they play the witcher with patch 940105 and that vista works fine.If theres something wrong with this type of poll here I appologize.Also if you could post your pc specs (motherboard, system type, video card etc) it may help point out a potential problem.

I've not only never had problems with The Witcher: Enhanced Edition on Vista, I have not had problems with ANY game that were not the direct result of my own incompetence when it comes to certain types of modding. Sure, I have an XP box too -one that has caused more issues than my Vista machine I should add-, but as soon as I have the cash I am going to mostly retire that PC and have another Vista based system for gaming. :)

My game was really running nicely till I got to chapter 3 and the Trade quarter when the crashes started again. Bit disappointing as I had hoped crashes would be a thing of the past with the new version. Does make me wonder if this is a Vista problem or related to my pc a Dell XPS420?

I've played under both XP and Vista [both 32-bit] and found the original crashes fairly evenly divided.However, for the past several weeks under Vista 32-bit, I haven't had the first crash while playing for several hours straight. When it would crash before, it was usually after extended periods of gameplay and usually during a change from one area to another. Since installing TWEE, I haven't had the first crash whatsoever.

I play on windows vista ultimate (32 bit) which likes to give itself a performance rating and will mention the recommended rating to be able to play games. It rates itself 5.9 and suggests 4.5 (i think) to play the witcher. After looking over the recommended hardware to play the game found in this forum I have the best card and one of the top recommended CPUs. Software is up to date as well but it still crashes on vista unlike xp for me. The only thing I can think of that might work (given the advice I've seen so far) is if there was some important setting I should change to get things to magicly work but I never had to do anything like that on xp.

This was my weekend :(FridayFirday morning, started the "Enhanced edition" 900mb download on my poxy 2mb line "wooo" :dead:Friday evening, installed the "Enhanced edition" installationStarted up the game - Kept crashing the video desplay and freezing, even on low settings. Yes, I applied the Vista memory thing patch. No, it still kept crashing. Drivers I tried- ATI cat' 8.9, 8.8, 8.7, 8.8 beta.I tried with and without the catalist installed.Backed up my dataLow level formatted my HDDRe-installed vista from scratch. It was 01:30am, so I Went to bedSaturdayInstalled my Mobo Drivers, then GPU drivers, then Sound.Installed every Vista update.Installed Vista SP1. Foobar'd the PC.Cried for a bitLow level formatted my HDDRe-Installed Vista from scratchedInstalled every Vista update.Installed the latest Mobo Drivers, GPU drivers, and Sound driver.Told Vista SP1 to go Fk itself ;) and removed it from the update listTurned off auto-updates. Vista Spat at me, so I turned off alerts too.Installed the Vista game memory leak patch thingy.Made an Image Of my HDD ;)Installed "The witcher"Installed "tages 5.5"IInstalled "TWEE"installed "English Language Patch"Re-booted (you never know)Started the game - Never made it past the opening gameplay cinematicStarted the game again. Turned the Graphics down, Played - made it as far as Geralt running in a field.. CrAsHGPU Drivers - ATI cat' 8.9 - CrAsH -, 8.8 - CrAsH -, 8.7 - CrAsH -, 8.8 beta - CrAsH -.I tried with and without the catalist installed, on each driver - CrAsH - CrAsH - CrAsH - CrAsH - CrAsHSpore Crashed too. Maybe its my Graphics card.Went to PC World (I hate them :wall: But they are having a sale) Got a spanking new ATI HD4850 512mb.Installed new card. Installed latest drivers.Started the game - CrAsH -Booted up Suse and started a hardware diag. All hardware A+ working order.Cried for a bitIt was 11:45pm, so I Went to bedSundayInstalled XPInstalled every XP update.Installed the latest Mobo Drivers, GPU drivers, and Sound driver.Installed "The witcher"Installed "tages 5.5"IInstalled "TWEE"installed "English Language Patch"Re-booted (you never know)Stared the game. Watched the opening gameplay cinematic.Tears Of joyPlayed it all afternoon / eveningIt was 03:10am, and I got work in a few hrs, so I Went to bed.I liked Vista, it did everything I wanted it to do... except play my games :(

Never crashed with my old XP machine and has never crashed with my new Vista 32 bit machine.. ; :p

I am another one who can't get TWEE to run very far on Vista 32 as I either get crashes just after loading my minimal saved game, or it crashes as I try to load it. I've tried everything suggested on these forums but nothing works for me. I've uploaded my PCWizard file on the "Vista problems" thread.Prior to TWEE I managed to finish the game using the same machine (admittedly I did have more crashes than when I played it on my very old XP PC). The old saved games from my 1.3 Vista run-through crash, or only run for a few mins, if I try to run them now with 1.4Could any of the moderators tell us if Projekt Red are actively doing anything (such as a Vista patch) or have they just abandoned us and hope we'll give up and go away?

Negatah, I can't vote in your poll as you don't have a button for: -O - No, it crashes all the time for me and so I can't play it at all!

Lordant said:
Negatah, I can't vote in your poll as you don't have a button for: -O - No, it crashes all the time for me and so I can't play it at all!
I've been under the impression that the vista crashes are similar between people who it happens to from reading old comments. Turning my video settings to medium and installing the latest version of directx made them less frequent but they do still happen every hour at the latest. Hope that helps you a bit assuming your pc meets the games requirments too. :peace:The way the poll is turning out isn't like I imagined it would, yet it makes the situation more managable to know vista is used by so many people who don't have crashes. It'd also be helpful to know why those people can use windows vista 32 bit and not have any problems at all.

Played the original through 3 times on vista x64 with no crashes. It would crash every 5 hours on vista 32 bit but no issue on x64.

no offense to the OP but these types of "polls" are way way out of date. Vista 64 is 100% stable and has been for me since November 2007 when at last I got decent sounds drivers for my sound card. Vista's bad rap was well earned but that was for early to mid 2007, not fall of 2008 and after SP1 has come out. No crashes, great performance, nothing to complain about at all. Vista, once you get used to it and once you turn off UAC ;) becomes a pleasure to use.

zodden said:
no offense to the OP but these types of "polls" are way way out of date. Vista 64 is 100% stable and has been for me since November 2007 when at last I got decent sounds drivers for my sound card. Vista's bad rap was well earned but that was for early to mid 2007, not fall of 2008 and after SP1 has come out. No crashes, great performance, nothing to complain about at all. Vista, once you get used to it and once you turn off UAC ;) becomes a pleasure to use.
Whether vista is stable is not the point (not everyone uses vista 64 bit by the way) the point is to help us understand why almost half the people who use it get crashes, and apparently the stickies do not help. If anyone has any useful information to offer it would be appareciated by those of us. :)

Whether vista is stable is not the point (not everyone uses vista 64 bit by the way) the point is to help us understand why almost half the people who use it get crashes, and apparently the stickies do not help. If anyone has any useful information to offer it would be appareciated by those of us. :)
fair enough.I wish I could help you. My old tricks when Vista was "less" stable for me last year was to install games to any directory other then Program Folders, always tick admin access in every shortcut, even running installers in admin mode. Then I turned of UAC totally and most problems went away on the spot. I would also try going into the task manager and disabling as many running processes as you can, including windows defender, and virus protection and any other non essential process. Running the game with as little as possible running in the background could help. I wonder if there is not some common denominator with the crashing folks. Is it just Vista 32 or do Vista 64 users crash also? Are you people using the same chipset motherboards, running SLI/Xfire, etc? sorry about your problems

Windows Vista Ultimate (32-bit operating system)Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Processor w/ HyperTransport and Dual Core TechnologyMotherboard: NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MotherboardSystem Drive: Extreme Performance (RAID 0) - 2TB (2 x 1TB) SATA 3Gb/s 7,200RPM 2 x 32MB CacheGraphics Processor: 768MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800 UltraSound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer High Definition 7.1 AudioIf anyone can spot a mistake on the combination of hardware it would solve alot of problems, thanks for the idea. I'll edit my 1st post to suggest posting the specs.

So far I'm up to chapter 3 with the Enhance Version of The Witcher and it haven't crashed on me yet with my XP3 32bit. So far I am enjoying playing the game as much as the last version said for random crashes from the last version which it take me back to my desktop. But I been getting glitches in the loading screens of the Enhance Version of the game. It goes black for a second then the loading screen appears. Playing the game so far no crashes.

Gerza71 said:
So far I'm up to chapter 3 with the Enhance Version of The Witcher and it haven't crashed on me yet with my XP3 32bit. So far I am enjoying playing the game as much as the last version said for random crashes from the last version which it take me back to my desktop. But I been getting glitches in the loading screens of the Enhance Version of the game. It goes black for a second then the loading screen appears. Playing the game so far no crashes.
After playing TWEE on Vista 32-bit for a few days, I'm noticing this little 'cut to black screen' during Loading sequences as well.Also, after 'bragging' a bit about having no crashes so far with TWEE under Vista 32-bit, I did -- finally -- have one during a particular sequence just last night. It was also a repeatable crash. It would send me to the Desktop with a popup screen letting me know that the application had stopped working.Here's the sequence if you care to see it:****SPOILER ALERT*****
I had refused to help the elves when they were robbing the bank. Seigfried took this as a decision that I was taking up his side. So, after it was all over with, I went around gathering and selling items to get the $5000 Orens I needed to upgrade my armor.Well, a trip to the Dwarf Blacksmith revealed that I was no long in his good graces and refused to deal with me anymore.That prompted a trip to Vivaldi to see what was going on.As I approached Vivaldi, in his home, and tried to start a dialogue, BINGO...DESKTOP!!I tried starting from the last saved game and retraced the above steps and...BINGO...DESKTOP again!On my third try, I exited the Blacksmith's shop, saved my game and then went to talk to Vivaldi. This time there was problem.
So far, this is the only area I've had a crash at all in several weeks and there were no others afterwards.... so far. [Cross Fingers]

Negatah said:
Windows Vista Ultimate (32-bit operating system)Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Processor w/ HyperTransport and Dual Core TechnologyMotherboard: NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MotherboardSystem Drive: Extreme Performance (RAID 0) - 2TB (2 x 1TB) SATA 3Gb/s 7,200RPM 2 x 32MB CacheGraphics Processor: 768MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800 UltraSound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer High Definition 7.1 AudioIf anyone can spot a mistake on the combination of hardware it would solve alot of problems, thanks for the idea. I'll edit my 1st post to suggest posting the specs.
I've read so many reported problems with the Creative X-FI under Vista, I would have to suggest that could be the culprit.

My specs:Quad Core CPU (2.8 each), Asus Striker II Formula MB, 8 GBs RAM (Geil) Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit.The game has so far only crashed twice (after about 50 - so hours) and both times it had to do with me running the PC all day long and using various applications at once during gameplay.Other than than the EE offers a solid, trustworthy experience.

Top Bottom