Player Housing

+
Player Housing

I was thinking this game would benefit from the player being able to own their own house. Not in a Bethesda way where it is basically just a warehous to store your goods. Maybe more like Vampire:The Masquerade Bloodlines.

In that game you sometimes got email on your personal computer that gave you quests from time to time, as well as a TV and Radio that kept up to date with events in the game. This actually gave you a good reason to want to go back to your home from time to time.

So I was thinking you should be able to buy a couple of player homes, one a time, like the Sims, but you can buy a bigger one if you have the money. Certainly you should be able to get upgrades, some for Role Playing purposes like a new couch (assuming you can actually sit on it). Others should be more useful.

Things you could do at home could be:

Catch a newsfeed - Fantastic not just for adding flavor to the game by keeping you up to date with the goings on in Night City, but also a good source for side quests." So a double murder commited huh? I'll look into that."

Take a Rest - Great way to pass time alone or with someone special.

Training - Maybe buy a few items that helps you increase your skills.

Hacking - Buy a computer to hack the internet. Good for solving and getting quests, and a good substitue for someone who does not want to buy an implant.

Hiding: Uh - oh, pissed someone off? Buy some security upgrades, grab a rifle and let them try and take you.

Granted some ideas are better than others, but I think it could work.

Yeah I love these Ideas.

I want to drink, sleep, and go on the internet, listen to the radio or watch TV at my apartment.

Also at least do one fun activity in there.

Should include fully customizable safehouses tho. I'd love to have a mission in which that aforementioned safehouse is compromised and raided in the night. The main character would have to escape naked.

Should include fully customizable safehouses tho. I'd love to have a mission in which that aforementioned safehouse is compromised and raided in the night. The main character would have to escape naked.

I remember Mafia 2 when I got my own safe-house and during a story mission it got burned to the ground and all I was in was a tank top and undies.

Lets just hope that if we do get one safe-house burned, we'll buy another one later.XD

I'm hoping for player Owned businesses, not just housing. Any business that operates in the game should be purchasable by the player, along with all the hassle that entails, (competition, protection rackets, theft, embezzlement, staff, etc...)

We should be able to own multiple houses, pretty much any building or room that is vacant should be up for sale/rent.

Customisation of said venues is very high on my list. Cyberpunk is all about style over substance after all.

That would be cool, but to be honest that seems more like a Sims thing than it does for the traditional RPG. Still, if they could get it to work.

As a side-game, like Gwent or Fallout 4's settlement building I can see business ownership.
But the amount of stuff that would have to be designed and implemented to include it would be daunting.

As a side-game, like Gwent or Fallout 4's settlement building I can see business ownership.
But the amount of stuff that would have to be designed and implemented to include it would be daunting.

It represents a huge chunk of what Fixers are about. I don't know if it would take that much, I guess it depends on the angle of approach so to speak.

i would be fine with a couple of housing options. like at first you would live in a crappy capsule hotel (like the ones in neuromancer and modern japan), later you could "upgrade" to a rundown appartment somewhere in night citiy's ghetto and at last you could afford a luxury suite in the corporate district

they all should have a couple customization options, for example it would be could if you could buy a robotic maid or something like that

i also want all your safehouses to be integrated into the story, for example it could be attacked by one of the gangs and you have to defend yourself inside! some of your quest givers and companions should visit you at home

Given that the game is supposed to non-linear I think maybe having them all plot related would be a mistake. Because if it was, then requirements for getting the better house would be to advance the plot,. I think simply having the money should suffice.

I do not know how much of an open world the game will have or how much of the Bethesda-like Sandbox gameplay it will involve. Either way I think that the player should be allowed to roam the world and ignore the plot to a degree. As a result getting a new house should be something where you are a given a basic house, but upgrading it should be optional, same with buying a better a house. That way you can focus all your energies on getting that great luxury suite as soon as you can, or ignore it all together.

All I really hope is that it won't be just a glorified dollhouse to decorate like in most games, but serves a much more heavy gameplay considerations (heavier than just an email access). A place that the player actually "needs" and needs to do something with and from, instead of... yeah, a dollhouse to decorate and play house in.

Also, what I said in the linked thread:
I wouldn't mind the player owning a flat, but I wouldn't want it to be just a glorified storagebox/wardrobe (or to turn the feature into player being a real estate collerctor) like in Bethesda games and GTA's. It should serve the gameplay through other functions as well, something that is actually required to visit every now and then.

Something closer to a "base of operations" type of thing.
- Gather a team
- Gather intel
- Plan and prepare
- Keep a line in to get info and other possible aid on the road and during missions
- All the flavor fluff like TV's, radios, carpets and other shit like that can be there but are secondary to the primary function

Shit like that.

Something closer to a "base of operations" type of thing.
- Gather a team
- Gather intel
- Plan and prepare
- Keep a line in to get info and other possible aid on the road and during missions
- All the flavor fluff like TV's, radios, carpets and other shit like that can be there but are secondary to the primary function

Shit like that.

Sounds like a pub to me.

Sounds like a pub to me.

I'd go with that.

Deadwood style.

On that note...
Could be interesting if you got the office parts of some shanty brothel to work in. Cooperating with the brothel owner (doing some favors him/her from time to time) and little by little build up the place through the game. And possibly, at some later state, become a "business partner" getting a weekly slice of the profit (not a set amount, but varied). And... well, I was going to start ranting about needing to keep things covert to not attract the law or rivalries (depending on what you do there) and how that might work in gameplay (you know, how and how much surveillance and other shit are done there and how they might affect the availability of further such stuff and how that might affect the missions), but it'd just end up being a longwinded and messy block of text. You get the point.

Last edited:
Much to my surprise I've found that I'm enjoying certain aspects of Fallout 4's crafting/building system more then I expected.
I never played with doll houses as a kid, and have even less interest in them as an adult (other then to look at).
While I'm not too wild about the settlements aspects of it ... setting up your own base of operations with crafting stations, resource stockpiles, storage, food/water/beds/etc. for your guards/support staff works pretty well. It has practical utility not just aesthetic qualities.

I had hoped that Beth had tied that settlement stuff to the narrative somehow, for the sort of "big thing" it was made to be in that game. You know, serving a purpose beyond being the sort of nobody-cares busywork that leaves you and the game none the wiser whether you tackled it or not. As it is, it feels way overdone for what its purpose is.

Buuut, I'll spare you from a further rant on what I think about Fallout 4. :p

A cyberpunk house, with all the confort you can get:

how about NO.....nooooooooooooooooooooooo
Skyrim has this
Dragon Age Inquisition has this
fallout 4 has this
play THE SIMS if ye want that sort thing

don't follow the Trend

Just don't have it as a requirement. I am a collector, and I want somewhere to keep my stuff. I like having somewhere to call my own. But I understand that some people don;t feel the same way. So, the best compromise is that the opporunity should be there, but not have it as a requirement of the game, or a forced choice to continue the story.

Top Bottom