Players, do you have a hobby?

+

Guest 4564903

Talked about my hobby before but throught I'd post a picture of this I got today.

While I'm not one to buy things from Etsy I could not resist and I have to say this is a fantastic Skippy, so if you love the iconic gun I would highly recommend this one out of the few that are for sale on Etsy,

Skippy.1.1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Other than gaming (when I have the drive for it anyway)?
Reading books mostly, otherwise writing, and you'd rarely find me without music playing while doing either since I collect CDs, and to lesser extent vinyls as well.
But I am really hoping to be able to get myself to draw again.

I collect old consoles and games for my lttle brother (32, I'm 44), I build some 3D lego, I build DOS pc boot disk (!), I code some C# and unity, I like the space pre-race (1946-1957) and the space race (1957-1972), rocket launch, drinking good IPA, watch movies with good guy beating dirty guys (like Nobody), sci-fi books, skying, taking my time and building PC. First play with a computer in 1982-1983 (Oric 1)...

Well working is my biggest hobby, but when I'm not working 12hrs a day 4 days a week. I like playing videogames, playing poker, and training BJJ.

I started as a stage magician in my youth, that turned into doing special effects for stage and then into professionally making props for Halloween industry for amusement parks and home haunters who had more money than they had time to make things (like Dentists).

My web based business for Halloween animated props was the first off its kind on the internet in the 90s. There were older and bigger "Dark Ride" focused special effects companies in the world but they shunned the internet in the beginning so I beat them to it. THEN when they finally got on the net I undercut them by a LOT because they used heavy steel and high pressure air (100 to 200psi) needed heavy duty control values with microcomputers. Where as my products used aluminum (75% the strength and 25% the weight), low pressure (20psi) and RELAY LOGIC instead of computers. :p

However They say when you make your hobby your job you have neither...

After about 8 years of living the dream then China started making animated products similar (copies really) to my designs and undercut MY business. :(

Here is a snap shot of my OLD (do not laugh, this was way in the beginning of web design and I used Notepad to make it with MS front page to process the HTML) web page on the "wayback machine": http://web.archive.org/web/20071012113211/http://spookyfx.com/boo1.html

These days it is now back to being a Hobby:

halloween animatronics.jpg

IMG_6177.jpg

When I was younger I was heavy into Medieval Martial Arts (I was smaller than most of my peers but fiercely dedicated and earned the highest rank they awarded in the organization. Got nicknamed "Giant Slayer"):

Backup of crown.jpg

And when I got too old and broken I applied my knowledge to Game Combat Mechanics:

I got almost all my ideas for game combat done in Oblivion mods. But it is very hard these days in new games as I am a far better swordsman than a programmer. Oblivion will go down as the easiest game in History to mod so completely until there are games with TRUE AI that help mod makers write programs (like you see they do for Holodeck "game" programs in Star Trek).

I am now trying to work up the energy to lean 3D printing and CNC but the packages with the equipment have sat unopened in my shop for several years now, I think this dog got too old to learn any new tricks. ;)

Last edited:
Mine is shooting pool outside of video games of course

Oh yes. A glass of whisky and snooker in the basement. That's the life.

The specific game doesn't matter, we often play 9 too, when we want to get quick rounds going.

Cheers!
Post automatically merged:

My hobbie is music production... and my fulltime job as well.

Not lucky enough to have it as my full time job, but succeeded in slowly building a competent studio at home in the last decade. Helped a lot during Covid time to go down and create.
Post automatically merged:

I had to stop doing this, it was hurting my playing time too much... That darn sound searching.

Yes! Besides from gaming, I am an illustrator (I drew my avatar), write, create comics, and translate Japanese content. I made maybe 2 Gundam mecha from kits years ago for fun, but that's it

Avatar is really nice. You have talent! :cool:

I play chess and travels, but other than that I'm mostly playing video games lol. I downloaded this game earlier this month and I'm so addicted to it. Ugh

I've recently started a new hobby, which is creating YouTube content. Did my first editing today and really pleased with the outcome! I do silent playthroughs of a variety of games and I've recently started to upload some Gwent content. Here's a link to the most recent video. If you subscribe, you get entered in to a draw to win a free game of your choice!

Top Bottom