Players, do you have a hobby?

+

Niatka

Forum regular
my hobby is making scale models. a hobby that I also discovered in Japan. normally reserved for men, I immediately loved mounting these parts of plastic, resin and photoetched parts. in 2003 I won a competition in the {armored} category. after prison, it was with great haste that I wanted to start over.
yes, my hobby as strange as it is, for a woman, is to make scale models of armored vehicles, airplanes and sometimes historic figurines.

Technology has fascinated me since childhood.

notice; it would be pretentious of me to place too many photos. I think this model; fascist armored | Pzkw-V Panther ausf.G late gen | {completed last year} is enough.

1018_2020_panther_leftside.JPG

Sure. Several, even.

Reading, geocaching, different kinds of puzzles (jigsaw, sudoku, etc.), and in the past also horse riding (which I had to give up over a decade ago, but hope to one day pick up again). I also do some writing, but while I enjoy it it's a rarity these days.

Additionally, I collected stamps when I was kid. I think my collection is still somewhere, stored away..
I also collected euro coins from different countries, and I know for sure that collection still exists.

My first passion has always been music. I'm a drummer. I used to play gigs in small clubs with my pals, not anymore these days, life gets in the way as you grow older... but it's definitely something i'll return to, once my daughter grows up a little and this whole Covid mess will just be a bad memory.

I'm into underground stuff, mainly experimental rock and hard rock, but i'm open to all genres. Jazz drumming expecially is fun and compelling. I enjoy training on my pad, just to keep my hands in shape and to improve my skills at rudimental drumming (double stroke rolls, flams, paradiddles and all that obscure terminology that always make non-drummers' eyebrows to rise).

I also used to write. Like, a lot. I published two books over the years, and another one is sitting in a drawer, because i never managed to find an editor interested in it. Like with music i'm into different genres. I'm particularly fond of the second book i published, a satirical fantasy novel (think Terry Pratchett and his Discworld series, for example). The other book was a thriller/noir set in Prague, a city i'm in love with and that i visited many times.

Aaaand i'm into gaming, but that was obvious. ;) Always been a laid-back, "couch" type of gamer, so i'm not much of a pc-gamer, just consoles. It's much more immediate and practical for me: nowadays i just lack the time (and patience) to do nerdy stuff on a pc.

There are obviously other things i enjoy doing (traveling whenever i can, again, not so much these days), but i think these are the main ones.

That's a nice paint job on the tank! Is it airbrushed?

Scale models here too! Started as a kid on WW2 planes, tanks, but since moved into Japanese mecha, things like Maschinen Krieger and Armored Trooper VOTOMS (Gundam too, of course)

I don't photograph them much at all, but here's a super armored fighting suit I finished a year or so ago.

sf3d safs.jpg

Been into games since the commodore64. Into some kinds of photography (past Astro, present Macro) music, guitar / bass / computer DAW. The band T00L - Microcoscopy now and then.
Love the Tank model. OP Would be cool to see more. :)

Been into games since the commodore64. Into some kinds of photography (past Astro, present Macro) music, guitar / bass / computer DAW. The band T00L - Microcoscopy now and then.
Love the Tank model. OP Would be cool to see more. :)

As a side note, Tool is one of my favorite bands, and Danny Carey a monster behind the kit (and nearly every drummer i know would agree with me on the subject). And Ænima one hell of an album. I still struggle to play some of their most complex stuff, expecially Lateralus-era, Danny's tribal-influenced polymeters require quite the skills.

I am an illustrator (I drew my avatar)
I rather wondered about that. Well done!

Hobbies, eh. . . ? I've had a few. However, etymology remains, perhaps, my favourite, as some may know.

Most lately, I've been tracing relics of Anglo-Saxon and Old Norse vocabulary within the Scots language. Ay, 'tisn't exactly everyone's idea of a grand pastime, but I enjoy it, at least.

Reading, mostly science fiction and fantasy, although I have started transitioning into more science and history as I have gotten older. [...]

Also curling...I absolutely love curling and watch it at every opportunity. An also part of a small recreational league that plays a few times a year. Lots of fun!!

Last edited by a moderator:
My hobby and my job are quite intertwined: I'm an animator.

I've worked in games, some indie-flick stuff, etc, but most of my income these days comes from YouTube. My channel was originally intended for animation, I kinda fell down a philosophical rabbithole for about twelve years, and now I'm back on animation again.

Working on this bad boy, right now:

Poster.jpg

Written, directed, and animated by me; I also play the voice of the chick with the purple hair.

So, yeah...my hobby is also my job.

Top Bottom