Playing Classic RPGs

+
I just can't seem to get playing newer games.Good there are some oldies I now and then play a little. Mainly Arcanum and Bloodlines.

Specialforces52 said:
rite now besides the witcher, i used to be into titan quest and the expansion a lot (for any of u who arent familar its like a wannabe diablo 2 but in some ways better) and guild wars and its expansions (cant wait for GW2... gonna be epic!!) =]
I still have my copy as well as the expansion had a lot of fun Right now playing The Force Unleash 2 yea I know the critic trash it but I'm having fun with it and that what matters to me

e-ahmet said:
Afraid of the mods
Wuss. You should not do what's wrong because you know it is wrong, and not out of fear of retribution. *golden words of advice from the astonishingly wise me*@e-ahmet (For you query in wisielec's thread)As for the reason why I do not like AC.... (pardon coarse language)Well, there are very few reasons to like it, honestly.1. The counter-attack style of combat make it truly laughable. Consider:There are often up to 10 people surrounding you.One guy decides to charge, you counter-attack him. He dies. And while you are performing your counter, others are staring at you. Once you're done, they clap and join in the f*cking game themselves. You wait while they stupidly circle you. One of them charges again. Another counter, another death. Others still don't learn. They keep staring till again one one of them decides to be the brave f*ck and attack, and is killed again. You keep on this farcical "combat" till all are dead.2. The concept is great, execution sucksConcept of DNA memory. Innovative (not really, but for games) AC1 was OK. You get to roam around the memory of a legendary assassin. Hurray. Second game. Apparently his memory segment is not complete. Now you need to enter another assassin's memory to continue your search. Now what? In AC3, it'll be another assassin? There has been complete lack of innovation after the first game. The concept of AC2 looks more like the Devs made something makeshift to satisfy fans.3. Stupidity of AIYou kill the f*cking mayor of a city, or someone more important, and the guards stop chasing you if you hide in a hay pile for 2 minutes? None of the onlookers give your position to the guards or whatever? You tear down a poster, and the people forget you are the assassin of the duke? You kill an official in broad daylight, and that decreases your notoriety? My goldfish is more intelligent than that.4. Superhuman human?If you jump 50m into a pile of the softest hay, you end up a pile of mash(supposed to). Hell, if you hit water from that height the g-forces on your body will shatter bones. There is no explanation as to what makes our godly assassin go resilient to g-force effects. The whole concept of climbing high towers to get a view of the surroundings is good. But making a 50 m drop down below with no one noticing anything is too hard to digest.5. The assassin you can make out a mile away.Assassins wear dark colors, to hide in shadows. Our assassin wears a white robe. In AC1 you could explain it by the fact that there were priests with that robe, and you could mingle with them to hide. But in AC2? You're wearing the same white,with the most godforsaken red decorations I've ever seen. You are carrying heraldry on your cape. And nobody notices? Nobody notices you when you wear this clown attire and "mingle" with normal people? You start fighting on streets, in palaces, in all other public places, and word never gets around? You can still carry on wearing the clown attire and you do not need to change? Assassinations are about stealth. Not starting brawls in the streets. Argue as you might that there are a few missions where absolute stealth is necessary, it comes nowhere close to realism. If you want to see stealth, try the Thief series, which is not as acclaimed , but definitely much more realistic. Assassins/Thieves are quick, but keep to corners, alleys etc. Our hero runs right through crowds on the highway.6. The Al Tahir garb? Gimme a break.Firstly, it looks lie carnival wear. It's simply the most retarded assassin cloak I've seen in my life. My left testicle can dream up a better design. Secondly, it's protected by bars that can be opened by activating 6 statues of legendary assassin. From assassins of Mongol Khans to assassins of Roman emperors and egyptian kings. Despite the fact they far predate Al tahir chronologically, their tombs contain the key to his armor? Was he so very important, all these sacred tombs had to be broken into to place pieces of a key? And all their tombs are in Italy? As Geralt once said, even in his trade, there are limits the possible.I can list a lot of other things while I'm at it. But I do not think AC is worth my time, or my patience. In many ways, it's the worst thing I've spent my money on. Consider also that fact that I once spent money to eat a live octopus while "experiencing local culture" on one of my trips. Spending on AC was, still, far worse.

@ I can understand where your coming from AC and yes it has it faults Im one of those that enjoyed the game yes AC1 too inspite it faultsI think the AI when it came to combat was really stupid and yes I hated the last boss fight it was lame, But still I had fun with it and the story for being a Stealth Action game was not bad You should have been here in the very early days of the forum when we had a AC1 (before AC1 &TW1 came out) fanboy here you would have had a fun time of it LOL It like the old saying ether you like Picasso or you don't LOL wich is cool in everyway.

Let me tell you this first. I'm not a 12 year old AC fan boy and even if (I don't know if) I seemed like that in my query in other topic. Well, I'm not a native English speaker and writing is not the best way to communicate as you don't truly get what the others feel except with the help of smilies which our forum lack unfortunately. So, any kind of criticism I can accept about this game but in some places I think you're missing the point.
1.The counter-attack style of combat make it truly laughable.
Agreed. It wasn’t really fun and it quickly got boring too.
Now what? In AC3, it'll be another assassin?
I’m not really following it. I only know the release got postponed but I think the protagonist in the first trailer of the 3rd game looked like the Italian assassin in the 2nd game. About the lack of innovation, I’ve always thought what made the game so great was its story along with the settings and fictional conspiracy. Also, I expect some parts of 3rd game will be in present time as Desmond was getting some of his ancestors skills.
4. Superhuman human?
Well, there is always the possibility that the creed members are Zeus’s descent. There was an explanation I gathered from Altair’s letters IIRC but I can’t remember it right now. It is complicated.
5. The assassin you can make out a mile away.
You can get your robe dyed in the game but that’s not the point, I get your meaning. If you wore your family robe you couldn’t reduce your notoriety. Also, in some towns you could get some privilege by wearing special robes like an influential family’s robe if you helped that family.Thief series is too tedious a game for me :)
6. The Al Tahir garb? Gimme a break.From assassins of Mongol Khans to assassins of Roman emperors and egyptian kings. Despite the fact they far predate Al tahir chronologically, their tombs contain the key to his armor? Was he so very important, all these sacred tombs had to be broken into to place pieces of a key? And all their tombs are in Italy?
After Altair got his hands on the piece of Eden at the end of the first game, he used it to find those tombs while traveling around the world because they’re supposedly from the same descent, descent of those gods. After that he moved those tombs and hid them in Italy. He made his armor from a special material with the knowledge he got from the PoE and locked it with six keys.

1. I didn't say I didn't like the concept. I didn't like the execution. With the concept they had, they made a mess of things. It could, and should, have been better executed.2. A guy of Zeus' descent? A guy who doesn't die when he falls into a tiny stack of hay from 50m, but is splattered all over the pavement otherwise? That tiny stack of hay doesn't break your fall anyway. Yet *somehow* it helps you survive? If you can survive falls like that, you light as well be resistant to physical attacks. Can a hammer blow be more powerful than the impulsive force of a full grown man hitting a thin layer of hay?3. My point with the robe was, while in the original setting (AC1), there were others wearing a similar robe, and it gave you a mingling bonus, in AC2, there wasn't another person with a similar garb. They should've changed the assassin's garb as well to make him mingle more easily. I know you can dye your robes. But the best you can do is grey. 4. I didn't know about the grave robbing Al tahir did. I'll concede that point.As to the whole thing where you think that I think you are a 12 year old AC fan boy, I apologize for referring to you as "Assassin boy" in the pm. I know you're not immature or anything, Mr Gramps. I saw your profile in the "Express yourself" link. I know you're about a zillion years older than me. ;p But seriously, I didn't mean any offense. As a proof of my good faith, lets go to the Hairy Bear and settle our differences over a bottle of raki. OK?Assassin's Creed isn't worth fighting over. I agree I overstated some points, like I actually know the live octopus was a worse expenditure. On the other hand, I stand by my conviction that my goldfish is more intelligent than their AI, and that my left testicle (which is less smart/creative than my right testicle) can come up with a better Assassin garb design.And I'll recommend Thief series to you. Now lets proceed to the inn. Drinks on me.

Vilgefortze said:
2. A guy of Zeus' descent? A guy who doesn't die when he falls into a tiny stack of hay from 50m, but is splattered all over the pavement otherwise? That tiny stack of hay doesn't break your fall anyway. Yet *somehow* it helps you survive? If you can survive falls like that, you light as well be resistant to physical attacks. Can a hammer blow be more powerful than the impulsive force of a full grown man hitting a thin layer of hay?
Yes. You're right. You made your point well. Any attempts to answer above questions would be absurd, trivial and unprovable so I concur.
Vilgefortze said:
As to the whole thing where you think that I think you are a 12 year old AC fan boy, I apologize for referring to you as "Assassin boy" in the pm. I know you're not immature or anything, Mr Gramps. I saw your profile in the "Express yourself" link. I know you're about a zillion years older than me. ;p But seriously, I didn't mean any offense. As a proof of my good faith, lets go to the Hairy Bear and settle our differences over a bottle of raki. OK?
:D I wasn't offended but didn't want to be misunderstood.
Vilgefortze said:
Assassin's Creed isn't worth fighting over. I agree I overstated some points, like I actually know the live octopus was a worse expenditure. On the other hand, I stand by my conviction that my goldfish is more intelligent than their AI, and that my left testicle (which is less smart/creative than my right testicle) can come up with a better Assassin garb design.And I'll recommend Thief series to you. Now lets proceed to the inn. Drinks on me.
Glad you didn't choke to death :D (they told you about the choking hazard, didn't they?) I was going to comment on it in my previous post but I forgot it (it was late). How did it taste like? :) I actually played Thief Deadly Shadows (first game of the series I think) a little before I upgraded my pc. Then I turned to the games I wanted to play but couldn't because of hw. Maybe I'll give it one more try but it's a stressful game to play I think.

1. Thief is stressful. Lots of deaths and stuff. It's not a "for everyone" thing. You'll enjoy it once you get the hang of it.2. What do you think it tasted like? You dip it in some sauce and swallow it whole, head first, while holding its tentacles together with a pair of chopsticks. Once it's nearly through, you release your hold on it's tentacles and it grabs hold of your lips and starts dragging itself out again. (Did I mention it had to be swallowed to get the "authentic feel"? So it was still alive while i swallowed it.) You just have to persevere and force it down your throat and hope it doesn't crawl back up. Now does it sound like I enjoyed it? If I didn't force it down, I would have lost a $100 bet with 3 friends who I went on that trip with. that makes $ 300. In the end I made some money, not lost any by devouring that abomination. But more than money, it was the mere fact that I hate to lose bets. But it still left me traumatized and I still can't eat seafood in real life. Not after that.

What do you guys think of Japanese RPGs?In the past I've pretty much avoided the whole genre because I always thought the games were about bunch of kids going up against Satan etc. This year I tried Final Fantasy XIII and Tales of Vesperia. Vesperia was ok but I thought FFXIII was just horrible. It seemed that my initial view of the genre was pretty accurate (irritating characters, plots that make no sense at all, and way, WAY too much melodrama, cool music tho.. ). Then I stumbled upon Final Fantasy X (thanks to pcsx2 ^^) and oh boy was I wrong. Awesome story (a bit crazy but entertaining nevertheless), interesting and likeable characters and probably the best love story told in any game ever. (I almost cried at the end.. :p) The game completely changed my view of the genre. It's just too bad that there isn't any great JRPGs this gen. I suppose it's true what they say about the current state of Japanese game industry. They are short on new ideas and haven't got the ability to move forward.. Shame.. :/But what do you think? Anyone else played FFX? :p

I'm not awfully fond of the genre, but it's Ok, I guess. Their animation quality is top notch, but stories usually fall short of expectations.I don't play FF, but my brother played every single one (including X), and I didn't find it so different from the others. He's a fan of DMC however, and I do think its a good stressbuster, nothing more.

Just went to the store yesterday and saw AC3 in the shelf. Ezio and his "brothers" in the cover. *Hmm, wasn't this postponed..Too bad this is a PS3 game..none for PC..maybe they ran out of it. Goes home, searches online only to find that PC version will come one year later* Damn. I read somewhere that some games are not released on PC before they make some profit with the consoles since piracy is being common with PCs but are consoles piracy proof?

e-ahmet said:
but are consoles piracy proof?
I don`t know about now but where i work i have heard of people changing chips in their consoles so they could play a game disc burnt with their pc . It seems there are always people who want the latest games and software but they want it for free and will go to any length to get it. But yet they cannot fathom to understand why developers and publishers put copyright protection on discs. Well DUH go figure

e-ahmet said:
Just went to the store yesterday and saw AC3 in the shelf. Ezio and his "brothers" in the cover. *Hmm, wasn't this postponed..Too bad this is a PS3 game..none for PC..maybe they ran out of it. Goes home, searches online only to find that PC version will come one year later* Damn. I read somewhere that some games are not released on PC before they make some profit with the consoles since piracy is being common with PCs but are consoles piracy proof?
AC: Brotherhood PC is delayed for next spring to be accurate. And it's a bit more complicated to play pirated games on consoles (360 mainly) than PC. You actually have to open up your console and modify your dvd drive's firmware to bypass the disc check/antipiracy software.

eskiMoe said:
AC: Brotherhood PC is delayed for next spring to be accurate. And it's a bit more complicated to play pirated games on consoles (360 mainly) than PC. You actually have to open up your console and modify your dvd drive's firmware to bypass the disc check/antipiracy software.
Hmm, than it's somewhat a reasonable strategy. Well, I would wait for it to go down on price any way since delay has never been an issue for me. Still it's the legit customers being punished.

Meanwhile, I was playing Trine. It's a good side-scroller platforming/puzzle with good graphics and physics from Finland. Check out these links if interested:Trine Official Game SiteDeveloper Frozenbyte InterviewSound Designer Ari Pulkkinen InterviewIt's a 2009 Fantasy Action Adventure game. Game musics and narrator's sound are relaxing. Though I've read it has a few hours of gameplay it took me longer than the latest Prince of Persia game. It has a demo if you want to try.

e-ahmet said:
Meanwhile, I was playing Trine. It's a good side-scroller platforming/puzzle with good graphics and physics from Finland. Check out these links if interested:
Fun game. I tried the demo a while back. Shame that this and Alan Wake are probably the only good Finnish game titles at the moment. And Alan Wake is not even close to as great as Max Payne 1 & 2 were. I miss the dark film noir style setting in those games. And Max's monologue that was full of metaphors. Max Payne 3 is looking to be just another sandbox game made by Rockstar.. -.-(Max Payne 2) Remedy:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-_uLGqcBjc(Max Payne 3) Rockstar: (*facepalm*)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCc_s0ejP9Y

Well, I tried Max Payne in the past but I'm not really an FPS guy though I've been playing Painkiller through short sessions for a while now. Maybe it's the fantasy that draws me in or the little thrill it gives. Also, I'm sure the second link you gave doesn't look anything like Max Payne. It must be something else :p Anyway, I got this A-RPG, Rise of the Argonauts which is a console port and played it to a point which would be the end of the prologue if the game had chapters. You can tell it's a console port since the controls and simplified gameplay etc. and no real video options in-game. Still, I think it's better to have a console port, myself being a strict PC gamer (still thinking about Fable 2 damn it). I read this game wasn't good almost everywhere after and before I had it. Luckily I like Greek mythology themed works so I'm good. It's like a lesser (or better don't know yet) God of War game.The game utilizes shortened dialogue options but it's not really a big deal because the choices are either completely inquiry related or aligned with the 4 Greek gods (Ares, Apollo, Athena and Hermes). So I basically was choosing the best answer for a question when I started the game when I realized that I was making Apollo aligned answers most of the time and I was rewarded for that via the ability to get talents in Apollo's skill tree. Other than choices you can use the achievements (which I tell you there are many, most comes naturally with the game progression) to gain favor of a particular god by dedicating them to that god. Apparently as the game progresses our protagonist King Jason of Iolcus, the land favored by Zeus, will be rewarded with some god powers but I haven't achieved that yet.There is no mini-map at the top nor is there the "M" hotkey for the map. You press "Esc" and click on map in the menu. Menu design is kind of sleek. From the start of the game you have a famous friend and companion "Hercules" himself! How cool is that! (Though he looks like a body building freak..umm anyway..it's still cool) I didn't very much like the combat in the game but the idea of getting new gear and weapons sounds good enough to me. You have a big round shield with which you can actively block or smack the enemies with. You have a sword, a mace and a spear (which can also be thrown). You can change these in fights too and through the story you get better weapons/gear as I mentioned earlier. No combat multipliers, two types of attack. One being standard attack with LMB and a heavy attack with RMB. Also an AoE attack with Alt+Mouse buttons which takes the enemies feet of the ground giving you some space. So, anyone played that?

@ e-ahmet have played Max pain 1 & 2in the pass have not played it in years but was it not a 3rd person shooter?Also played Rise of the Argonauts but on my Xbox enjoyed both games.but have played a few Counsel to PC port game I don't know if you have one but what I find useful in playing those kind of port games is using a Game pad for the PC 7 out of 10 times there a opp so you can use one and don't have to deal with remapping

Seeker said:
@ e-ahmet have played Max pain 1 & 2in the pass have not played it in years but was it not a 3rd person shooter?Also played Rise of the Argonauts but on my Xbox enjoyed both games.but have played a few Counsel to PC port game I don't know if you have one but what I find useful in playing those kind of port games is using a Game pad for the PC 7 out of 10 times there a opp so you can use one and don't have to deal with remapping
Ah..yes I remember now you said it. MP was third person, it's just been a lot since I played it and it wasn't for long that I played it too. Say 30 minutes or so at a cyber cafe and then I was stuck because of some bug or my dumbness I don't know. I remember watching Max dodge bullets in slo-mo. It was third person. Actually I have a controller but it's analog is kinda broken. I used to steer by bits using analog sticks playing NFS Most Wanted. Then it started to steer by itself. My car would ram to the side of the road even if I didn't touch the sticks. Maybe I can use it with arrow buttons instead of analog but I don't know..I'm already used to the keyboard controls of RotA. I don't have an Xbox for now but I'm planning to buy one in the future.

Top Bottom