Playing Classic RPGs

+
Personally I felt they dropped the ball a bit on TOB, but it settles things in a real nice fashion and takes account of your actions as well as wrapping everything up, think you'll be satisfied.

Ok, I´ll take it into account.
Since I´m here, I might as well ask... How long would you say ToB is, compared to SoA?

@volsung84 ah yes I misread. I rarely go back in time to play the classics - I played them at the time - though once a few years ago I did go back and play the spectrum games I played 10-16, and it was an amazing trip down memory lane, and maybe it matters that they were my childhood games rather than my adult ones, so perhaps in a few more years i'll check out some of these enhanced versions.

I'm highly anticipating Wasteland 2 though :)

Tbh, as someone who moderated the old atari.eu forums (1000 times busier than here), I always thought the ability to change display name on the old forum was more freedom than we should have, and it seems it was rarely used anyway. I would expect - once things calm down for them - that you will have no problem getting your old nick back, even without the ability to change it yourself - its certainly not the main key of your DB entry - though it appears some characters have been made illegal, I haven't seen a list... perhaps the full stop?

Ok, I´ll take it into account.
Since I´m here, I might as well ask... How long would you say ToB is, compared to SoA?

Erm let's see, you could probably steamroll it in ten hours, if you play at the glacial pace I do then knock that up to forty or so. I suspect that the official answer is somewhere in between the two. Size of a big modern game.

Erm let's see, you could probably steamroll it in ten hours, if you play at the glacial pace I do then knock that up to forty or so. I suspect that the official answer is somewhere in between the two. Size of a big modern game.

Well, I tend to be more of the glacial pace type you mention, so it´ll keep me entertained for quite a respectable time. Thanks!

Dark Souls II is coming soon, so in I popped the original eager for some monster killing and loot. I can't tell if I've managed to bogger my settings or not used to it anymore but I think I finally appreciate the awkward keyboard and mouse camera thing people complain about. Sort of ruined the experience.

Silly Glaroug, the solution is so easy. Icewind Dale perhaps? Surely that will satisfy your action rpg needs. Nay silly Glaroug, take a journey into Watcher's Keep before firing that save into the expansion.

SO GLORIOUS!!! I thought meeting Drizzt was cool. I thought fighting dragons was epic. Oooo I never EVER expected to find my monkey pal at the bottom. Just hope I get out of there with everyone that went in with me :p

Considering your monkey pal was part of the advertising for Throne of Bhaal, it wasn't exactly a surprise for me when I played it the first time :p But it was surely one of the reasons for wanting to play Watcher's Keep so badly!

To this date, I still think Watcher's Keep is one of the best designed dungeons in the history of computer games.

Last edited:
Oh, Watcher´s Keep!
I still have to go there in my SoA/ToB playthrough. When would you recommend me to go? Should I go right at the start of ToB? Or maybe later during the expansion?

The first time I played Throne of Bhaal, I installed it after completing Shadows of Amn twice. Back then I went to Watcher's Keep during ToB right when I was allowed to.

Everytime after that, and since Watcher's Keep is accessible from both SoA and ToB, I always go before completing SoA. It doesn't make much sense plot wise to spend so many days exploring a dungeon instead of chasing Irenicus, but I can ignore that and enjoy the hell out of Watcher's Keep. The downside is that it makes the endgame very easy, since the Keep lets you go significantly beyond the level cap of the original SoA (2.95 million XP). On the other hand, using HLA's at Suldanessellar and Hell is a lot of fun!

Sorry for the double post.

@volsung84 ah yes I misread. I rarely go back in time to play the classics - I played them at the time - though once a few years ago I did go back and play the spectrum games I played 10-16, and it was an amazing trip down memory lane, and maybe it matters that they were my childhood games rather than my adult ones, so perhaps in a few more years i'll check out some of these enhanced versions.

I'm highly anticipating Wasteland 2 though :)

Tbh, as someone who moderated the old atari.eu forums (1000 times busier than here), I always thought the ability to change display name on the old forum was more freedom than we should have, and it seems it was rarely used anyway. I would expect - once things calm down for them - that you will have no problem getting your old nick back, even without the ability to change it yourself - its certainly not the main key of your DB entry - though it appears some characters have been made illegal, I haven't seen a list... perhaps the full stop?

Forgot to reply to your post. By the way @Kudos thanks for pointing out the tag feature, it is actually kind of cool. About Wasteland 1, I never played it before so I was glad I was given the chance to do it, but haven't really had the time for it. I've played maybe for an hour or two and it is more fun than I expected. Its version of turn-based combat (text driven!) is way more fun than you'd think. But Wasteland 2 is a different story. I'm really looking forward to that one.

About my nick, yeah I'm not really worried. I'm sure I'll get it back one way or another. This was actually the username I created when I first signed up but I changed it to the one you knew shortly afterwards. So technically the forum didn't change my username, it reverted back to the original username.

After a couple white lies to give me time to set everyone in position and create a convenient save game ;) I was ready. Buffed with enough spells and potions to kill a witcher, I engaged.

I knew victory was mine! Nalia, the mighty mage had gotten a level 9 spell slot. Time stop was the perfect spell to use to tear down his magical resistances. While Nalia prepared the spell my melee group smashed with improved haste. Then she cast it! All was still.......except for the thing in the middle of the room and Nalia.

Plan B.

Immediately Nalia and Jan started tearing down his resistances while my melee bros hacked away. If my mighty dwarf learned anything throughout boss fights it was to burn them down as quickly as possible before that started doing fancy stuff. The first round ended and the octopi were summoned. There was just enough time for Nalia and Jan to send out another resistance removal spell each. Thankfully Anoman was the focus of attention, meaning I could fire off a sanctuary and remain safe this round.

Now it was time! Jan fired off one last debuff while Nalia layed down the DRAGON BREATH! BOOOOOOM!!! The blast layed the octopi out on the floor, leaving everyone free to lay on the smack down.

Time to take on the Throne.

Oh yeah... the Bhaalspawn. Heh. These are some of the most intense and elaborate RTwP battles you will encounter in any game, I think. As much as RTwP will let you adapt to battle situations (or so people say) you really do need a solid tactical approach to take on any of these guys. You have to know exactly what you're doing and what your characters are capable of doing. Maybe that's why, as over the top as it is, ToB is still so much fun.

Got to admit I was getting my arse handed to me by that bastard, then Sarevok killed it with his Deathbringer assault, he earned his fucking bananas that day.

I don't think I put any spoilers in.

That fight was tough as balls. The invisibility and his chain buff meant if a melee character overstayed their welcome at his feet they exploded. I switched Keldorn for Aeire for some more mage power and she and Jan made sure True Sight was up at all times. I chained debuffs for dear life and tried to burn him down as fast as possible so he wouldn't heal everything off while my buffs ran out. But it was not a fast fight, since I had to keep my melee characters in near constant movement so they wouldn't explode after eating an attack. The mages really shined, especially as Anoman and Aeire, who was able to rebuff and heal well throughout the fight. Because of this, I decided to keep her with me instead of going back for Keldorn after the glorious victory.

Papa fight

Not entirely sure what to expect we buffed up and entered the boss room. His auto attacks hit like a train, but we where able to make it through pretty well. As expected, he made like a Power Ranger Villain and went all big and mighty at low health.

O my did he hit absurdly hard. His stupid shock waves sent bodies flying all over the room. I tried to position myself next to a wall which worked very nicely until I realized I couldn't move past his fat butt when he moved up against me. Naturally this made casting a real nightmare, along with the adds in the room. Anoman and my dwarf were trading tanking the boss and all was going fairly well but shockwaves finally caught up to my invisible mages as they sneaked around the adds, as if the game new what I was up to. Stupid shockwaves. But then it was Near Death! Anoman died leaving my lowly Dwarf and Mazzy. At that moment the boss knocked my dwarf unconscious. All was lost unless Mazzy, who had been blown across the room, could finish it off before it finished me. It was Near Death maybe she could do it. Praise be to the mighty boots of Haste. The boss turned its attention to her but my character was still out. Mazzy laid down some mighty blows, but so did the boss. I watched as she exploded, just as my character was able to attack again. I quickly slammed my mighty hammer into the beast and and watched it crumble at my feet. I had lost my favorite companion just as I did a when I watched Korgan get eaten by a Shadow Dragon the day I met Mazzy.

These boss fights have been a pleasant surprise with each one requiring different approaches to the standard: buff-haste-position-debuff-smack.

Seems I´ll have to prepare for some hard fights ahead!

I´ve started with ToB myself. Haven´t advanced much for now, I switched Minsc for Sarevok (as much as it pains me, ´couse I really like Minsc!), and I´ll go off to Watcher´s Keep as soon as possible.
The rest of my party is Keldorn, Jaheira, Imoen and Anomen (and, of course, my character which is a Ranger - Archer kit). Let´s see how well I fare with this party!

Last edited:
I don't think there are spoilers.

The Throne of Bhaal was a very, very pleasant surprise. Of course the First part in Baldurs Gate 2 was excellent, but in many ways (maybe all :p ) I enjoyed the expansion even more.

No, there was no Villian or character of Irencus's caliber. The "twist" was pretty obvious, but I think the writers were going for more a fun cheeze of a adventure rather than something as thought provoking as the destruction of Irencius (man that was a great ending. His fate still makes me have a pit in my stomachs and feel pity and discomfort).

The combat encounters were incredible and challenging, but more importantly, they all had their own special flavor. They game appreciated that I at that stage in the story I was a god walking amongst mere mortals and my band of friends weren't too shabby themselves so lets let this Chuck Norris wannabee through around some uber spells.

I really enjoyed the game's treatment of character. Its not too common to have my enemies quake in fear when they hear I am beating down the gates. I usually have to suit up as Geralt to do that.

There wasn't much in the way of backstory for the other characters, such as my siblings, but their really didn't need to be. As fellow children of Bhaal, through my journeys I the first game and through the second, as what I had gathered from Savorak, I had a pretty good idea of what life was like for them. Their motivations were clear and made since, and because the events that brought the story into full swing occurred relatively quickly, the quick pace felt perfect. Hmmm....I guess that means Draconis was my......nephew.........strange indeed.

It was a fun and great way to wrap up the story. Perhaps when I play though again I won't be a candy-butt and seek to instead take the throne for myself :p

Top Bottom