Playing Classic RPGs

+
@eliharel
There are plenty of graphics mods for the original Deus Ex. Shooting feels dated, but everything else is top notch. DX still has the best level design ever seen in a first person game.

@Kudos

I agree the setting is too bloated in general, but I also think if used properly people could tell unique stories. I see it more like an evolution of high fantasy and futurism, as opposed to just cyberpunk.

The game has come a long way though. I suppose the early releases were incomplete but this version I played was very pleasant. Things seem to work (implants add bonuses but shred your magical essence) and there are several movement and attack opportunities, including overwatch. Honestly the combat is very, very much like the new XCOM. Also you can save anywhere now, like in a normal game. These changes apply to both campaigns.

Edit: And by the way, that's some crazy show right there. Never heard of it before, but that one episode was weird and kind of fun. The animation reminds me of Robot Chicken. Gotta love some 1960's sci fi!

Dragonfall is a big step forward in terms of game design, and a really good game on its own. It's too bad if you're burnt out by the old version of DMS, but do give DF a try when you find it on sale.

Last edited:
Ahha... Overwatch included now eh,,, well that is good news, and makes the expansion worthy of consideration, though like someone else said i'll wait for a deal since I also feel a little burnt by the originals price / value ratio. Not "burnt out" by the game though since that would imply I played it longer than the 2-3 evenings it took to stroll through. I wonder if it's just too far outside the games scope to have other mechanics like research, strategic map, financing, or something. These games need multiple strands to manage to really involve the player in the world and provide variation, imo. Btw, should've included that addition in your DF review mate, I'm afraid without it it's less solid than the previous review, more liquid, but at least not gas :p.

I always loved the XCOM games, anything originating from the Gollops way back to their Spectrum Rebelstar days, but never really got into Jagged Alliance - too few mechanics - W40k-Chaos Gate was a cracker, and it didn't have a surplus of game mechanics beyond the combat, so I guess yet again there are exceptions to every rule. Be sure to try out the Long War mod for the vanilla new Xcom, better than the expansion, larger squads & randomised skills make for a lot of replay.

Prior to the advent of cable tv in the UK, they repeated everything on the 3-4 channels available, resulting in we all got to see some real classics that would otherwise have been one run wonders.... Joe 90 is one I've never forgot, probably because it seemed the future would provide the perfect solution for boring school :p

Here's another that permanently imprinted on my young brain:

Today I heard the Torment theme tune being played, before I knew it GOG had opened and the download had completed. Well off to Sigil for the holidays.

I have just finished Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura. Damn, how game can be so amazing and so annoying at the same time :D I really liked world, story, dialogs and characters, but controls, stupid AI and some other things are simply annoying. But, it was woth to play anyway.

So many fucking hints that it was Kerghan all through the game, it's definitely one of them games that makes you stop and think. Really good evil characters in it and all, Torian Kel, Geoffrey and Zan deep as the good uns. Love the interconnectedness of it all as shown in the Silver Ladies prophecy. Love to see it remade in the later TOEE engine.

While beeing high because of the start of TW3 preordering it just hit me that I would really, really like to have Gothic 1 and 2 + expansions HD remastered for consoles.
I have no ideea who owns them now but I do think the effort will pay off.

I'm really confused now. "Generations have passed since the original heroes of Baldur's Gate ...", then how is Minsc even alive?

I guess as the system becomes simpler so do the answers: Magic!

Just kidding. What a desperate effort.

Is this the same shit where they had the Bhaalspawn, slayer of Giants, Dragons, Demons and Demi'gods represented as a 4th level Fighter?

Got to admit i'd never touch D&D again, just seems so fucking past it, whatever edition they crank out. Only interesting bits of it, Planescape, Ravenloft, Athas, they booted so i'm uninterested.

So... I could use a bit of buttkicking and/or motivation to make me persevere through Throne of Bhaal. I recently finished SoA for the first time (and some time before that BG1 - but long enough ago to not get bored by having the same gameplay for too long) and very much enjoyed it, but a little into ToB I feel that the saga is just dragging on too long.

Having the game throw masses of powerful enemies at me doesn't help at all as Fire Giant 21 and 22 are just the same as their 20 now-dead predecessors. So far - currently looking for the Bhaalspawn's heart in the Fire Mountains - the story setup of having to hunt down a number of other Bhaalspawn failed to make me intrigued. I have yet to meet an interesting NPC (other than my stronghold's housekeeping imp :p ) and I greatly miss the fantastic side quests. The ever-rising need to buff my party to the max while breaching enemies' defenses - randomly and hoping my chosen counterspell is actually appropriate - feels like a chore, made worse by having to rest every few inches. While in the main game spells felt like powerful devices to tip the scales, now they feel necessary to achieve anything at all, which makes the - imo not-great-at-all - spell-preparation system all the more cumbersome. Levelling up seems to have become completely useless at this point and does not motivate at all.

I had made a few weeks' break, thinking that I was just saturated after the long journey that SoA was, but all that did was that I don't know my way around all the abilities anymore. Which is not exactly helpful.

If I persevere, am I in for a rewarding end? Does it get better or is it just an endless string of battle with little to no side quests straight to the end? How long is it? Should I keep going or just read/watch the plot somewhere?

Personally that's why I leave Watcher's Keep undone until TOB, it's not very good in my opinion, too linear, too much combat and that's about it. That said there is satisfaction in finishing it, but I have had exactly the same problem every time. It's a fairly pure ARPG from start to finish.

Edit: Pro tip Sarevok's Deathbringer Assault kills almost everything and really saves time, only ocassionally fires but is a relief when you're slogging through yet another combat.

Last edited:
I think Throne of Bhaal is a good conclusion to the saga since, in a way, that's what the bhaalspawn were heading to. A war for power and domination. The first game was an adventure of self discovery and exploration, the second was about the realization that there was a taint inside and the cost of unlocking it, for you and those around you. ToB is about the rise to power and the decision of what to do with it. I agree, it is too crammed with constant combat. But once you get past the fire giants and meet the other bhaalspawn, battles get very intense. Abazigal and Sendai, for instance, are really challenging. There is some slight sense of satisfaction in seeing how your character slowly becomes a demi god, as you approach level 30 or so. Gutting common soldiers in one hit, casting massive spells, slaying dragons with your bare hands (OK maybe not so bare), heh.

In any case like Bloth said the high point of ToB is Watcher's Keep. By itself it's like twice the length and scope of a modern expansion, and possibly one of the best dungeons ever created.

If I were you I'd finish the game just to complete the Saga. For future playthroughs just do BG + TotSC + SoA and perhaps the first few hours of ToB.

I think Throne of Bhaal is a good conclusion to the saga since, in a way, that's what the bhaalspawn were heading to. A war for power and domination. The first game was an adventure of self discovery and exploration, the second was about the realization that there was a taint inside and the cost of unlocking it, for you and those around you. ToB is about the rise to power and the decision of what to do with it. I agree, it is too crammed with constant combat. But once you get past the fire giants and meet the other bhaalspawn, battles get very intense. Abazigal and Sendai, for instance, are really challenging. There is some slight sense of satisfaction in seeing how your character slowly becomes a demi god, as you approach level 30 or so. Gutting common soldiers in one hit, casting massive spells, slaying dragons with your bare hands (OK maybe not so bare), heh.

In any case like Bloth said the high point of ToB is Watcher's Keep. By itself it's like twice the length and scope of a modern expansion, and possibly one of the best dungeons ever created.

If I were you I'd finish the game just to complete the Saga. For future playthroughs just do BG + TotSC + SoA and perhaps the first few hours of ToB.

Thanks. I get the intention of ToB and that it's what it all had to end with. The quarrel I have with it, is that being a powerful demigod trivializes most stuff. If you have 50 battles of epic scale in a row, what's so epic about it? What's the difference between a fire giant and a too-large goblin if the former is equally common? Mix in the game design choices I mentioned above, which imo were not a good idea to translate from PnP to a video game, and the lack/slow pace of narrative and it all feels weird.

An overall issue I have with BG (and probably all IE games I have yet to play) is the lack of feedback in combat. It's hard to tell how well you fare, when and how things go wrong, or what buffs and debuffs everyone has or their exact effects, or what exactly each and every spell does and when it's efficient to use - it's an overwhelming amount of information you have to keep in mind, extract and remember from the log and often even calculate if you want to be efficient. For me, as someone with quite a bit of PnP experience, but only little DnD(5) and no DnD2 (it is DnD2, isn't it?) experience, this often results in approximate choices, default procedures and trial and error. Although, obviously part of the problem lies with me and my unwillingness to dig deep enough into the rules and I can accept that.

Anyway, what do you think, how long does it take a first-timer to get from the Temple where you get the quest to retrieve Yaga Shura's heart to the finish line?
(Minus Watcher's Keep, already finished that and enjoyed it for the most part (mostly except the battles at the last seal, because I sucked at them and finally had to give in and turn down to easy. :sad: )

P.S.: Yes, I mistreat you as tools to vent my frustration. Sorry. :flower:

Anyway, what do you think, how long does it take a first-timer to get from the Temple where you get the quest to retrieve Yaga Shura's heart to the finish line?

I would guess around 15-20 hours, maybe less if you are good in combat and can clear the battles with the first try.

This sounds an awful like my first experience with the Throne of Bhaal. I played through BG and stormed through the magnificent BG2, slaying dragons and liches, but stopped playing the Throne of Bhaal at the Fire Giant cave. There are soooo many Fire Giants! I was pretty burnt out so I played through something completely different, Saints Row 2 :p , and picked up Throne of Bhaal later on.

In the very beginning the combat encounters are offer little but brutish "hord-like" mechanics of high level enemies but after you deal with the Fire Giant leader, the game opens up into some of the best boss battles I've ever experienced in any game. They combat encounters are truly incredible and surprising. On the higher difficulty they will require creative tactics, clever knowledge of game mechanics, and a bit of the old luck :p Watchers Keep is also an incredible addition to the game, an excellent dungeon of puzzles and difficult battles.

I would defiantly agree with Bloth, its far more of an ARPG, but its some of the most fun combat I've seen in any game. Its like a terrific sandwhich, but with a hair on it (the Fire Giants), but of course after you pick off the hair the terrific sandwich is still there :p

Use your buffs religiously, Haste and Improved Haste will help significantly, Clerics are badass (dwarf Cleric Power!). Spells such as Sanctuary are great for pulling back and using spells such as the AoE heal....err.....I can't think of its name at the moment but I am sure you know, and always remember enemies will also buff religiously so make sure to pack your debuffs. When bosses begin using spells that protect against enchanted weapons and huge dragons are eating you with improved Haste :cry: Pack. Your. Debuffs. Pack them :yes

After the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition, another Infinity Engine classic gets polished for a re-release: http://www.icewinddale.com/

For the record: I decided to put ToB aside for a little longer, and instead play the Gothic and Risen series again to prepare for getting Risen 3. Total Piranha Bytes overkill! :victory:

After the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition, another Infinity Engine classic gets polished for a re-release: http://www.icewinddale.com/

Interesting. Don't know what to think about these IE remakes but I noticed the website said Steam would offer a Linux version.

Honestly it just seems to me these are desperate attempts at squeezing the last bit of money out of these games. But who knows, maybe they do play better. The originals aren't completely stable in modern platforms.

Interesting, I just so happen to be in Dorn's Deep at the present :p Found my old save hidden away in an unlikely place. Thought I lost it when I reinstalled my system a few months ago, after which I was promptly struck by Geralt's Cupid Bow and set off on a Witcher Renaissance.

Interesting. Don't know what to think about these IE remakes but I noticed the website said Steam would offer a Linux version.

Honestly it just seems to me these are desperate attempts at squeezing the last bit of money out of these games. But who knows, maybe they do play better. The originals aren't completely stable in modern platforms.

Hmm I didn't have a single issue with modded BG1+2 from gog. The EEs on the other hand are said to have added more bugs than features and new content is often perceived as mediocre, if that. The one big upside I see is that these games (hopefully) get some more attention among a new generation of gamers influencing the industry as a whole.

Top Bottom