Playing Classic RPGs

+
Hmm I didn't have a single issue with modded BG1+2 from gog. The EEs on the other hand are said to have added more bugs than features and new content is often perceived as mediocre, if that. The one big upside I see is that these games (hopefully) get some more attention among a new generation of gamers influencing the industry as a whole.

Mine ran OK (BG1 + Tutu + Widescreen + Larger fonts; BG2 + Infinity Cracker + Widescreen + Larger fonts) but I could feel the mouse pointer stutter a little bit, which didn't happen way back then in my 1 GHz Pentium 3. I remember the game crashing a couple of times but it could be normal. These were disc versions of both games. I have them on GOG as well but haven't actually tried those.

One thing that bothers me a little is how tiny everything looks in larger resolutions. The enhanced editions let you zoom in but from what I've seen it is not a very high quality, looks all blurred.

Icewindale has been fun, but its defiantly not the Baldurs Gate 2 like game I expected (combat not story elements). I expected puzzles, tactical combat and encounters that allow me to think, instead of the freaking hords upon hords of enemy brawl-fests. The wights in this game don't even level drain me, which is a sin against Gygax :yes Its pretty sad that there is hardly any enemy variety with respect to combat mechanics. O well, its not that bad, more or less Torchlight with more than 1 character :p

And just where is this freaking dragon I keep seeing at the loading screen?! I will find you dragon! :horse: Come on game give me a dragon, not another skeleton. By Moradin's hairy ass there is waaaaaaaaaaaaay to many undead in this game :p

Well back then I thought action RPG meant a game like Icewind Dale. Then I found out what they were actually talking about... sigh.

The Loremaster portion of The Heart of Winter has been exactly the sort of thing I've been searching for this whole game. Fun riddles, puzzles, cheesy awesome lore behind a dungeon, or as in this case, a castle, hard-ass combat and a very satisfying boss fight at the end.

The final fight was insanely frustrating during my first few of attempts and felt pretty impossible, but after taking one attempt at a much slower pace, I realized the ghostly heroes that I was fighting continued to spawn, that this fight was not like the one with Sarevok. So I stripped my trusty bowman of their swords and let them fire as they do best, summoned a few hobgoblins to attract the ghostly heroes and went strait for the Loremaster and bam! Victory! I really enjoyed this portion of the game and look forward to similar adventures in IWD and its sequel which I am very eager to play :yes

Don't remember if there is a Shadowrun or otherwise relevant thread, so I'll post here.

Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall was the expansion that essentally fixed the game and made it what it should have been: intricate, engaging, interactive, branching. Today Dragonfall: Director's Cut was released as a free update to current owners (or $14.99) bringing up several changes. The most important for newcomers being that it is now standalone, meaning you don't have to buy the original campaign (Dead Man's Switch) anymore! Replay value includes new locations, improved combat system and improved companion system.

Now is the time to play and for me the time to revisit. Too damn bad Wasteland 2 comes out tomorrow. I need a break just to play games.

I just wanted to say that for me a very long adventure has come to an end, an adventure that started many years ago. I first played Baldur's Gate as a teenager, and have replayed both Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 Shadows of Amn several times. But I never knew the ending of the saga until tonight when I for the first time finished Baldur's Gate 2 Throne of Bhaal. Watching the end credits roll I realised how much this series has meant to me while growing up, and how many hours I've spent in the land of Faerun. First time I played it isometric games were still the norm and several years later 'tis a thing of the past. Well, not completely, games like Divinity Original Sin and Wasteland 2 prove that these games are still very much appreciated. Nonetheless, feeling the nostalgia I'm feeling right now I just had to share this with my fellow witchers. ^_^

If you haven't played Baldur's Gate series I highly recommend it. People might bash Bioware for various reasons, but I'm grateful for getting to play these games.

I'm also very pleased with the ending I got, and can't really ask for more after the hours of entertainment I got in the process. Now, all that's left to do is to reminisce the many fond memories I have of these games. Anyone else having this connection to Baldur's Gate series feel free to share it. ^_^

Last edited:
Oh I love Baldur's Gate. The game that for me into RPGs. Play it somewhat regularly every once in a while, and it's always a lot of fun. For to show modern games have lost much and improved little behind the graphics.

My appreciation for the series is precisely what makes me resent Bioware so much. Like someone you admire deeply suddenly spewing insults at you and degrading everything they stood for.

Oh I love Baldur's Gate. The game that for me into RPGs. Play it somewhat regularly every once in a while, and it's always a lot of fun. For to show modern games have lost much and improved little behind the graphics.

My appreciation for the series is precisely what makes me resent Bioware so much. Like someone you admire deeply suddenly spewing insults at you and degrading everything they stood for.

Good example, but that is a sad development indeed. At least we'll have Baldur's Gate I guess.

I am playing BG1 for the first time. Half of the companions are ridiculous, especially that Xzar guy. I can identify traces of DA:I characters in most of the BG1 characters I've encoutered so far. DA:I is really just continuing all the trends BioWare established long ago.
Yeah Xzar is crazy lol. But then he's chaotic evil so what can you expect . And traces will become even more visible in bg2. If you get there that is. Still I played those games about a year ago(so there is nostalgia on my part) and still found them rather enjoyable.

Apart from the terribly clunky combat I am enjoying it so far. Any tips for a newcomer? Oh and Xzar died at the beginning. How can I revive him? Is death permanent?

Xzar yeah he's comic relief, same with a lot of BG characters. They don't take themselves seriously, unlike modern Bioware characters who we laugh at rather than laugh with like in BG, the bad writing of the ridiculous modern characters makes them totally unaware that they are morons. That and the humour has gotten considerably worse, going from Monty Python to squeeing sub par Joss Whedon cutesy, idiotic stuff. I wish they'd simply go back to the far better characters of BG 1&2 and of course the far more realistic art design, and the crisp distinct colours rather than blurry pastel messes.

And of course some level of logic and coherence in their worlds and stories rather than the lowest common denominator renaissance fayre settings they create now, but Faerun wasn't very good in that respect either.

Edit: Xzar and Monty are part of an organisation that has enemies, that can be part of your group also, so they may initiate in group combat.

Last edited:
I think the fact that the companions were only partially voiced help a lot. The voiced lines still gave you the idea how they sound like and added to their character, but there was still some room for more writing.

Hm, guess this will be the right thread to ask. Have any of you played Vagrant Story and/or Deus Ex? (Most likely Deus Ex).

I have both games on my shelf for a couple of years now. Originally I had a stab at them, but I think I was originally felt too intimidated by the difficulty. (I guess that is what you get for being a millenial starting to playing games only by the end of the 6th generation).

I've really wanted to play through them though again, along with some other games for the end of November/X-Mas break. Do any of you have any tips for a beginner on how to playthrough?

Hm, guess this will be the right thread to ask. Have any of you played Vagrant Story and/or Deus Ex? (Most likely Deus Ex).

I have both games on my shelf for a couple of years now. Originally I had a stab at them, but I think I was originally felt too intimidated by the difficulty. (I guess that is what you get for being a millenial starting to playing games only by the end of the 6th generation).

I got Deus Ex around a year ago on GOG (never played it before). It's a great game which allows finding different paths for completing each level and the story there is interesting too. For instance you can prefer the stealth approach and use non lethal weapons to complete your missions. I didn't complete the full game yet though (thanks for reminding me - I might just get back to it, anyway TW3 for Linux isn't coming out anytime soon). The other game it reminds me of with its stealth gameplay style and the dark atmosphere is Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines.

I didn't find it extremely difficult though, but I suppose your choices of augmentations and weapons can affect the gameplay quite a lot, so choose wisely to complement your preferred style (stealth or more action and so on). For instance you might want to avoid carrying a rocket launcher which takes a lot of space in your inventory in order to fill it with more sophisticated tools, if you plan to avoid some nasty robots using stealth, and the opposite, if you just want to run through as a tank, rocket launcher helps blasting those armored beasts quite a lot.

Last edited:
Last time I played Deus Ex I installed the Shifter mod with it, lot of good bugfixes and a few optional gameplay changes. I'd recommend it as Deus Ex is still buggy even with the Game of the Year edition.

Play slow, watch routines and strike only when you are prepared and confident. Explore everywhere and everything. Personally I don't use the GEP as LAM's are frequently found, Pistols and close combat weapons are my personal choice of armament, fitting with a covert operative. That said a lot of people swear by assault and sniper rifles, and the rocket launcher on the assault really does come in useful ocassionally.

Planescape: Torment. Got to say the Nameless One just grows on me every playthrough, I think like most of the best RPG's a pre-defined character is far more detailed, his choices carry far more weight and roleplaying him is just so much more intense and believable. Like the Avatar from Ultima, Geralt from the Witcher, Gorath, Owyn, James and Locklear from Betrayal at Krondor etcetera. Got to say that some of the best characters in my old pen and paper days were pre defined as well, with backstories in the world, contacts, personality and motivations that are actually reflected in the game.

Sure playing dress up and creating a character is nice, but all too often they're empty, hollow and aren't really recognised by the world at all. Sure you can play let's pretend and make up your story, but if the game doesn't recognise any of your decisions then there's no point playing the game, just play let's pretend without it.

Dragon Age's Origin stories were a good meeting point for merging the two, but after Ostagar the protagonist became fairly much an undefined and boring, featureless participant in the story. I remember Sten asking my Duster Dwarf about humans and magic, as if he'd know any more about this than the Qunari, just another example of the protagonist being an undefined, characterless placeholder really. Poor roleplaying really.

I think i'd like to see more pre-defined protagonists from now on, they seem a far more in depth, changeable and integrated part of the settings they inhabit. I prefer such characters in my roleplaying games, though the Sith Lords did some interesting things with defining the Exile.

For the reference, if anyone is playing VtM Bloodlines on Linux. I recently reinstalled it (disk version + Wesp5 patch 8.8 ), however Wine introduced some regression that renders character textures weirdly. This is fixed in the latest Wine (worked well in 1.7.31).

I think like most of the best RPG's a pre-defined character is far more detailed, his choices carry far more weight and roleplaying him is just so much more intense and believable. Like the Avatar from Ultima, Geralt from the Witcher, Gorath, Owyn, James and Locklear from Betrayal at Krondor etcetera. Got to say that some of the best characters in my old pen and paper days were pre defined as well, with backstories in the world, contacts, personality and motivations that are actually reflected in the game

I personally call such sub-genre adventure-RPG, since predefined character is a common aspect of adventure games. Not sure if there is some commonly accepted term for it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom