Playing Classic RPGs

+
Pangaea said:
Such a friendly mob over there...
Aye. And when the scourge of ME2 came , I stood atop a hill, and declaimed it's right to taint the world of rpgs.The angry mob came, fire in their eyes, and fire dancing in their torches. "Kill the heretic", they cried. I cursed them for all eternity, and fled.A relic of the past is not worth serving if it has no power today.

Guest 2091327

Cloakwood hasn't been as frightening and difficult as I feared beforehand. Apart from the one with traps and nasty spiders it was okay. Though some of the caves were dangerous, to put it mildly! :DFun fight with the mages before the mines. Took 3-4 tries before it worked well enough. Web didn't take at all I think. So in my last attempt I fired off a fireball before the dialogue was initiated. That did it as those pesky mages couldn't mess us up in time. I'm going to need some new wands soon though. In particular a missile wand as that thing is essential (even if damage is almost non-existent).Will go into the mines tomorrow. Running low on arrows so hope I'll be able to pick up enough down there. I assume there will be a load of traps too?

Pangaea said:
Cloakwood hasn't been as frightening and difficult as I feared beforehand. Apart from the one with traps and nasty spiders it was okay. Though some of the caves were dangerous, to put it mildly! :D
That is exactly the part I was talking about a few posts later, while you were saying that you didn't know how to disarm traps. It was a nightmare to me too. Anyway, spiders are immune to web (since it's from their same...uhm...nature).
Will go into the mines tomorrow. Running low on arrows so hope I'll be able to pick up enough down there. I assume there will be a load of traps too?
Not too much as far as I remember. Indeed I don't remind not even one (except that in some chests). But I may be wrong.
Pangaea said:
Next step will be: BG2, NWN and Planescape Torment. Yea!Next stemp will be: BG2
This forum is scaring me a lot. Or I am scaring myself. I was sure I didn't type that twice. :(Now, considering the last mood we have in this forum lately, I wonder if we should stop to "own" this thread about BG, before being fired up by mods and angry users. Maybe we should continue this discussion somewhere else, via email or PM for example. *mumble*

Guest 2091327

secondchildren said:
That is exactly the part I was talking about a few posts later, while you were saying that you didn't know how to disarm traps. It was a nightmare to me too. Anyway, spiders are immune to web (since it's from their same...uhm...nature).
I was surprised to be honest. Based on what some people wrote I expected hell on earth in there, with basilisks hiding behind every 3rd tree and such. But apart from the traporama there was basically nothing. Well, some caves with you-know-what in them... ;)
Not too much as far as I remember. Indeed I don't remind not even one (except that in some chests). But I may be wrong.
Hmm, that's a bummer. Such a long trip back to civilization though, so I'll go down there and see what happens. I've got arrows of biting, ice and fire and stuff I have picked up here and there, so while most of those don't give extra THACO they do nice damage. Maybe that will do if I run out of normal or +1s.
secondchildren said:
Now, considering the last mood we have in this forum lately, I wonder if we should stop to "own" this thread about BG, before being fired up by mods and angry users. Maybe we should continue this discussion somewhere else, via email or PM for example. *mumble*
I suppose we could, but then it would just be a 1-on-1 thing, which would prevent advice from others, or advice for others reading this thread now or in the future. The whole discussion could perhaps be split from this thread into its own Baldur's Gate thread though. We've kinda drowned out Seeker and such who discussed fighting games about 10 pages back LOL. But that would be up to a mod as I can't do that.

Anyone here going to buy Dragon Age 2?I thought I'd preorder the game. I'd like a good RPG to pass the time until TW2 arrives and Dragon Age 2 looks promising enough. I think Bioware still makes quality games even if they have somewhat fallen from grace..

I am. I don't have it preordered, yet. When our income tax comes in, we will be pre-ordering that and paying off my TW 2 CE. My first RPG was Baldur's Gate 2 so the company has a spot in my heart. Plus, I want an RPG to pass my time waiting for TW 2. :)

eskiMoe said:
Anyone here going to buy Dragon Age 2?I thought I'd preorder the game. I'd like a good RPG to pass the time until TW2 arrives and Dragon Age 2 looks promising enough. I think Bioware still makes quality games even if they have somewhat fallen from grace..
I had intended to until I learned about the online DRM, which I hate. Now I don't know.

slimgrin said:
slimgrin said:
I had intended to until I learned about the online DRM, which I hate. Now I don't know.
It's not always online like Ubisoft games:While the retail version of Dragon Age 2 is playable in an offline mode, players will be required to login and authenticate the game after 'a select period of days'. http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2011/02/01/dragon-age-2-drm-explained/1Not a big issue for me. If my PC is on, so is my internet connection.And you can always apply a crack for it...and just preordered the game few minutes ago. ^^

Guest 2091327

slimgrin said:
Sheeeesh. They're putting that crap in? Probably wouldn't have bought it anyway as I didn't finish DAO and haven't heard good things about DA2, but now there is a 0% chance. The whole thing is so fantastically stupid. If people want to pirate it, they will be able to. Putting in intrusive DRM like that is not going to stop pirates. It will stop some people from buying the game though... So who are they really hurting?

I probably won't buy DA2 since I didn't really have a good impression of it and I don't really like micro-managing in battles. I suck at it. I started to play Vampire The Masquerade: Redemption recently. I'm a few hours in and wow, so much dialogue, that's something you don't see often in today's games. I had a problem with overwriting save games and lost some of my progression twice before I thought there was a problem. Anyway if anyone plays it on Windows 7, make sure to play it as an administrator and find your save game folder in game's directory and enable indexing service for it from properties. I have to start a new game as an administrator and after that I'll try and change the new save folder created in games actual directory with the one in virtual store folder. Someone did that and it should work.

e-ahmet said:
I started to play Vampire The Masquerade: Redemption recently. I'm a few hours in and wow, so much dialogue, that's something you don't see often in today's games. I had a problem with overwriting save games and lost some of my progression twice before I thought there was a problem.
You think Redemption has loads of dialogue?! You should try VtM: Bloodlines! One of the best CRPGs I ever played. No advice on Win 7, sorry, I'll stick to my good old XP, thank you very much.

gorthuar said:
You think Redemption has loads of dialogue?! You should try VtM: Bloodlines! One of the best CRPGs I ever played. No advice on Win 7, sorry, I'll stick to my good old XP, thank you very much.
After I'm done with Redemption, I'll probably look for Bloodlines too. At least I hope so. Btw, some of the locations remind me of TW1 which is really nice :)

Guest 2091327

I've finally gotten into the city of Baldur's Gate now. Am supposed to find some mansion and get 3 items within 10 days. Where is this place located?In general are here sort of Witcher-like quests here, in that if you help guy A, guy B will be locked out?Typically in these games you ought to say yes to all quests for XP and whatnot. Is that the way I should go about things here too?

Pangaea said:
I've finally gotten into the city of Baldur's Gate now. Am supposed to find some mansion and get 3 items within 10 days. Where is this place located?
The central part of the city, iirc. North from a group of tents.
Pangaea said:
In general are here sort of Witcher-like quests here, in that if you help guy A, guy B will be locked out?Typically in these games you ought to say yes to all quests for XP and whatnot. Is that the way I should go about things here too?
Very, very few quests work like that. And I *think* you can accept conflicting quests and finish the one you like more. It works this way with with the necromancers Nemphre and Arkion(?), mages Ramazith and Ragefast and the nymph, etc.So, how was the fight with Davaeron? :)

Guest 2091327

He was a tough one, that's for sure. But I actually got him on the first try, though we took quite a bit of damage. I don't remember exactly what I used on him, but at one point I thought we ran over a trap somewhere (besides the initial one). I aimed at him with the archers, he teleported to another room, and they went after him. He probably sent a fireball at us though, and those things hurt. Was a funny outcome of the fight with the mages on the 2nd floor of Sorcerour Sundries. I think I was very lucky actually, on the 3rd try. Just as they all fell dead to the ground one of them managed to send us all into horror or some spell like that, so we were running around the room. But they were all dead. Very lucky timing there. Didn't lose a single hitpoint actually. Hit them with a fireball right off the bat, with the archers taking on one of them. Not sure how we managed to kill everybody so quickly, before they could deal damage or horror. Maybe I was lucky with the rolls on the fireball and it killed 2 or 3 of them instantly.Thanks for the tip on location. I'll head off to the middle and see what I find there. Though I'm not sure I can even pull it off since Imoen isn't very good at hiding in the shadows or stealing from people. I've put virtually all points into lockpicking and trapfinding.Bit chaotic in the city. I'm using Tutu and labelling the map with stores and such. That should make it a little easier.

e-ahmet said:
e-ahmet said:
After I'm done with Redemption, I'll probably look for Bloodlines too. At least I hope so. Btw, some of the locations remind me of TW1 which is really nice :)
Absolutly right! Bloodlines rocks! Especially because the rules are much more similar to the pnp game than Redemption. Plus there are NPCs, incredibly strong characters, very well painted. The background and the environment also in great: dirty downtown, full of dums, pushers, pimps, hookers....any of the offsprings of RL. A masterpiece, if you ask me.

Guest 2091327

I've been playing this game way too much lately, and need to cut down and focus more on my uni work. Having gotten to Baldur's Gate itself I can't be terribly far off the end though, so I'd like to at least finish the first game. Such chaos in the city though. Feels like I have gotten a zillion fed ex missions, and it's very difficult to know where the places are. Without the time constraint that wouldn't be a big deal, but due to the damn poisoning I had to run all over the place trying to find the people and places listed in the journal. Finally got that mission (and the daughter stealing one) sorted out now, so can hopefully go back to systematically going through the areas. Glad I have the expansion installed, cause I'm not far off the XP cap now. Most are around 80,000 and the XP cap is on 89,000. But 161,000 (iirc) with the expansion. Haven't been grinding either, or gone to the new areas like Durlag's tower, though I have cleared almost all the maps.Little sad about the constraint on use of magical items though. Have several rings and cloaks of protection, and magical armour. But can't use it all :(Don't know if this was a terrible mistake or not, but I killed off that woman who I was supposed to give the book of wisdom to. Increased wisdom isn't really beneficial for me as a fighter, but didn't want to give it away :D

I used to be pretty obsessed with Bolder's Gate. I had to destroy the cd just so I could focus on my school work. It is a great game though. Get the expansion it is well worth it. Durlag's tower is pretty sweet, I won't spoil anything for you. It sounds like you are going to hit that XP cap real fast even with the expansion.______________________I keep my game up and mind sharp with purest colloids.

Pangaea said:
Don't know if this was a terrible mistake or not, but I killed off that woman who I was supposed to give the book of wisdom to. Increased wisdom isn't really beneficial for me as a fighter, but didn't want to give it away :D
Well you simply miss the XP. No big damage :D

Guest 2091327

Ah well. Guess I'll hit the roof soonish anyway. Getting a lot of XP for missions in Baldur's Gate city. So no biggie. I really wondered what the hell was up with a mission for Scar though. Met him before going to Seven Suns and said I would continue to look into matters, or something along those lines. Went to Seven Suns and cleared out the place. Then Scar said I should go back and clear out the place for a bigger reward. I went back, wondering if there were even more stuff to kill now. There wasn't. And when I went back to Scar I only had the option of saying I couldn't deal with it, or something like that. Then he gave me 2000 instead of 5000 (I think). Was this a bug or something?A ridiculous amount of people want me dead - that's for sure! I'm almost expecting to get attacked when I walk into buildings now. Seems like there is a neverending string of side quests here. My journal must be packed now, and I've lost overview of what to do. But I'm going around, going into all the houses, and sometimes solving a mission here and there. Like when I suddenly handed over a gem to some bloke in a bar and he thanked me. Errr, sure man. My pleasure. Not like I planned to sell the thing or anything like that... :DI've seen here that there seems to be one tome for each of the attributes in the game. When importing the character to BG2, will I retain these? So I will for example have 19 constitution and strength (in my case), and will there be more tomes like this in BG2? I don't dare to look around for BG2 information as I'm afraid they will spoil what happens in the first game.Also came across this brilliant map of the city. Will certainly Tab out of the game and look at it next time I need to meet some punk in Tavern X.

Top Bottom