Playing Classic RPGs

+

Guest 2091327

"Hello?"

"Helloo... hellllooooooo.... hellooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo........"

:D

Had a stint with BG2 again today, almost going the full stretch. A little left, but should be just around the corner now. We're still shy of 7 million XP though, so maybe there is a lot more left than I think.

Wiped Abazigal, which was easier than expected given the tough fight we had with Senai. Came back to Amkethran and everybody and their dog wanted us dead, so we had to kill everyone. That was much tougher than expected, because the monks and mercenaries piled on, and they both hit hard and had much health. Eventually we snuck into the monastery and had a run-in with Balthazar. This time I prepared well, and had a Deva, Mordekainnen, Juggernaut golem, Prince Earth Elemental and Skeleton Warrior walking in, with the party well-protected and buffed. The fight went very well, and I think we actually killed the poor sod in one round, because Greater Whirlwind hadn't worn off yet. HLAs from 3 mages can be brutal ;)

Unfortunately I haven't found any silver breeches, so the guy in Amkethran can't make us whatever it is he wants to make with the golden pantaloons (I've held onto these fuckers for a looooooooooooooooooooong time :D). Slept and figured the last challenge would be a breeze, as they've mostly not been that troubling. Boy was I wrong! The Ravager was bru-tal! Kept spamming bone swords faster than we could take them down, and the ravager himself must have had some crazy natural protection, because it was damn hard to put a dent in him, and comets, dragon's breath and horrid wilting bounced off. This was after greater malison, lower resistance and pierce magic. I fairly soon gave up having Keldorn and Minsc take care of the summoned swords, because they were the only ones who could deal some damage to the ravager. This meant the mages missed some spells here and there when they got flooded with swords, but we scraped through. Was so happy when "The Ravager: Death" finally popped up on auto-pause :) :)

Think the fight took around 15 rounds, which is quite mental given the amount of HLAs we dealt out. Must have taken a good hour of real-time as well.

Early suspicion about Melisan bumming us was correct, and now it seems like the only hurdle left is to wipe that wanna-be Lady of Murder off the face of the planes. That will have to wait to tomorrow. It's getting late.

Pangaea said:
Unfortunately I haven't found any silver breeches, so the guy in Amkethran can't make us whatever it is he wants to make with the golden pantaloons

Ah, unfortunatly the silver breeches are gotten waaaaaay back in Athkalta in BG:SOA, so you may as well throw them away.

Way to go Pangaea, you're nearing the last part of ToB.

About the pantalettes and pantaloons, there are three total and you need all of them to assemble a nifty little secret suit. Look it up, it's called the Big Metal Unit.

Guest 2091327

Volsung said:
Way to go Pangaea, you're nearing the last part of ToB.

About the pantalettes and pantaloons, there are three total and you need all of them to assemble a nifty little secret suit. Look it up, it's called the Big Metal Unit.

Oh fuckety-fuck squared. That was easy.......

Managed to kill Melissan in the first initial fight. Keldorn was paniced so kept running around and then ran into the southern platform, so we went after him and managed to save him. Minsc had died but been ressurected. Okay, I think, first ordeal is over. Now we heal up and sleep.

"Can't sleep here dumbass."

Fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

No way in the Nine Hells can we manage this with what is probably four Melissan fights, without sleeping, and then somehow having enough spells to kill her and her many summoned f(r)iends, four times over. I only managed to take down the first one thanks to an Imoen alacrity-timestop-rain death sequence (first time I've managed to pull that off without interruption). After the first encounter we were basically out of spells. The second encounter went straight to hell. Although we managed to stay alive for a good while, there was just no hurting the damn bitch. Stayed on Injured forever. Something got her down to badly injured, but nothing hit after that, no matter what we threw at her. Found another horrid wilting, but that did nothing either.

How the hell am I supposed to pull this off?!?

Also, where were the silver breeches? Either I sold them after thinking it was nothing, or I never found them. Ah well, another thing to try to achieve in another playthrough.

Yeah, the final boss fight is ridiculous.

There are no silver breeches. There are golden and silver pantaloons, and bronze pantalettes. These last ones involve doing one of the funniest scenes in all BG.

When you were in Abazigal's lair, did you see some petrified (turned to stone) adventurers? One scroll of "stone to flesh" would have sufficed to bring them back and... well, you have to see the rest. Pure gold.

Guest 2091327

Pangaea said:
"Bondari reloads"

Saw that, and almost split my sides laughing

This final fight is simply ridiculous. I'll have to try again from scratch tomorrow, though I've no idea how to pull this off. Maybe I need to re-arrange the spellbooks first, to get more debuffs. It's good the final boss is so over the top difficult, because it will feel all the much better when I (knock on wood!) finally beat it.

Had a look at the weapons earlier, and maybe Minsc would be better served with off-handing Foebane instead of Axe of Unyielding. I love the regenerating and constitution from the axe, but given the enemies we face maybe Foebane will be better. Maybe worth a shot tomorrow.

Make good use of summons there, especially Daeva/Fallen Planetars. Use all of your potions, wands and scrolls. And do not use Time Stop because Melissan is immune to it, she can move in it like the caster.
Dont memorize any healing spells than Party heal just let heavy wounded drink a potion.

And good luck :)

Guest 2091327

cyberarmy said:
Make good use of summons there, especially Daeva/Fallen Planetars. Use all of your potions, wands and scrolls. And do not use Time Stop because Melissan is immune to it, she can move in it like the caster.
Dont memorize any healing spells than Party heal just let heavy wounded drink a potion.

And good luck :)

Thanks. Not actually tried the fight yet, but I went into the game earlier today and changed a lot of spells. Put in more breach, pierce magic and such, and a bit more death ward and chaotic commands. Not sure if that will really matter much given the damn anti-magic rays, but worth a shot. Haven't removed healing yet, but I'll take a look if there are other more useful spells instead of healing. We should have plenty of healing potions, after all. Unfortunately only the PC has access to planetars, but I can put in 2 (max) of that instead of dragon's breath and comet. They'll be good to have I hope.

If I am to pull this off, we need to somehow conserve good spells and not die. May be worth to check out those spike traps again too, they could be useful. Think I have 5 or 6 now.

Talked much about a kensai/mage for the next run, but actually think I want to give a sorcerer a try-out. Won't be nearly as sturdy as the now 129HP illusionist/thief, but a pure spellcaster should be fun, and he'll have more high-level spells for the later part of the game. Sucks a bit to be restricted by so few different spells per level, but maybe it won't be that much of an issue. Just have to make sure I choose good ones, because to my understanding it's impossible to alter it later.

Beat she-devil yet? :)/>

I think after playing an illusionist/thief, a pure sorc is going to be roughly the same character. Try focusing on a heavy melee character like kensai/mage,fighter/cleric, ranger/cleric or figher/thief i say. You can even try a cavalier and smash your foes with mighty Holy Avenger :)/>

I really liked the fighter/cleric I played years ago. I specialized in hammers and flails and dual wielded Crom Faeyr and Flail of Ages! Add to that heavy armor, relatively decent THAC0 (fighter's) and a good selection of offensive and protective spells. By the beginning of ToB my character was gibbing normal guards with just one hit.

Guest 2091327

cyberarmy said:
Beat she-devil yet? :)

I think after playing an illusionist/thief, a pure sorc is going to be roughly the same character. Try focusing on a heavy melee character like kensai/mage,fighter/cleric, ranger/cleric or figher/thief i say. You can even try a cavalier and smash your foes with mighty Holy Avenger :)

cyberarmy said:
I really liked the fighter/cleric I played years ago. I specialized in hammers and flails and dual wielded Crom Faeyr and Flail of Ages! Add to that heavy armor, relatively decent THAC0 (fighter's) and a good selection of offensive and protective spells. By the beginning of ToB my character was gibbing normal guards with just one hit.

Not yet. I've gotten sidetracked by "To The Moon". Played it a bit yesterday and today. I'm also a little awestruck by the whole battle, so have postponed getting my ass kicked again. Btw, can potions such as invulnerability get dispelled, or will it stick? Since saving throws are mostly very good now, I was hoping this would take care of death and fear spells.

You're right that a sorcerer would basically be the same as the current PC, but I like being spellcasters and it makes most sense in terms of being such a powerful character. It could be fun to be a killing machine myself of course, that makes sense powerwise too. There are already good fighters(ish) in the game though, but only one really good mage, and he's evil.

Have been trying to find a way to reduce or remove the reputation-linked comments from NPCs, but not getting any luck. It has started to get on my tits, especially Minsc's comments - which I used to love so much. If any of you know a way to do that, without muting the lot, that would be great :) I hear Jan + Minsc is funny as hell, so that would be fun. But if Minsc is going to keep blurting out stuff about kicking evil's butt every 2 minutes, then I'll want to crush his windpipe myself :( Is this really hardcoded? Can't see anything in the sounds folder.

Volsung said:
You dual-wielded Crom Faeyr and the Flail of Ages? Holy fucking shit. *swoon* That must have been inCREDible.

Glad to see you're still hanging in there, Pangaea! I didn't read your spoiler-shielded text -- thank you for that -- but do I see that you're at the final boss battle in ToB? Wow. You've traveled down a loooong road, and you're almost done!

I've gotten into the Drow city and am working my way through the quests those people want me to perform. Why is it that nobody anywhere can do anything without me? I feel like I should put an ad in the yellow pages and set up shop. Sapphire's Hero Service: Monsters Killed, Fetch Quests Performed, Every Tiny Errand for a dozen different worlds Performed, albeit not cheerfully.

Guest 2091327

Corylea said:
You dual-wielded Crom Faeyr and the Flail of Ages? Holy fucking shit. *swoon* That must have been inCREDible.

Minsc has done the same in my game He has been a BEAST, with just short of 50% of the kills (and XP). Together with a ranger item (improving off-hand Thac0) and another that increases his attack per round, he's doing 4 attacks per round with something like -15/-14 THAC0. Shit dies!

He has used Crom Faeyr and Axe of Unyielding lately, but think I'll give the final battle a try with From Faeyr and Foebane. If that fails, I'll go back to the Flail of Ages, which is +5 now, though I suspect the enemy is immune to all its extra effects.

Have the same feeling as you on quests Corylea. Nobody else in the world are capable of doing anything? Most seem okay with stabbing me in the back after I help them out though. They're fucking BRILLIANT at *that* Makes for good gameplay, I suppose, as you said earlier, but it's probably overused when I simply assume everybody will stick a dagger between my ribs if I turn around to take a leak.

That's not to say the game is poor of course. You have sooooo much to look forward to Corylea :) Looking back, I think Watcher's Keep has been the greatest. Very, very difficult, but simply awesome. There is one fight in particular that will blow you hat off!

Finished To the Moon. Ho-ly SHIT

Graphics could have been made in 1980, but it's a wonderful little game. Everyone should play it. Won't say anything about the story because it's basically just an interactive story, but it's great.

Pangaea said:
Have been trying to find a way to reduce or remove the reputation-linked comments from NPCs, but not getting any luck. It has started to get on my tits, especially Minsc's comments - which I used to love so much. If any of you know a way to do that, without muting the lot, that would be great :)/>/>/>

Use the BG2 tweaks pack from Gibberlings 3. It contains a lot of tweaks (which you can ignore if you want, but some are very useful), but under the section "Convienence tweaks" there is one called "Happy Patch"...

Happy Patch
This component disables NPCs complaining about the party's reputation. For example, evil characters will no longer be unhappy in a high reputation party. This component will also disable the BioWare NPCs from fighting with one another: in Baldur's Gate, Kivan/Viconia, Tiax/Quayle, etc. and Keldorn/Edwin, Valygar/Viconia, etc. in Baldur's Gate II. This component is completely compatible with the Neutral Characters Make Happy Comments at Mid-Range Reputation component.

Guest 2091327

It mentions "complaining", but since we have 20 reputation with a good party, the issue is rather bragging/being content. Will this tweak remove those comments too, or only negative comments about reputation?

Pangaea said:
It mentions "complaining", but since we have 20 reputation with a good party, the issue is rather bragging/being content. Will this tweak remove those comments too, or only negative comments about reputation?

No. It only stops 'conflicting reputation' events.
Eg: NPC's complaining about being too good or too bad. I don't remember how annyoing it is as my original game is buried under a pile of mods.
[And I hate Minsc anyway and leave him in his cage at the beginning. />/>].

You could get Shadow Keeper and edit your reputation to below the 'trigger' level (18 at a guess), or modify the NPC's alignment.
Eg: Switch Minsc to Pure Neutral so you no longer get 'I love good guys' banter at high rep.

As for shutting the repuation banters up all together, it could be done if you knew the name of the sound file. Then you put a blank file in the override folder and hence get no sound, or edit the Dlg files with IEEP to remover Rep-banter triggers. But I dont think you want to do that. :)/>/>

I played BG and BG2 for the first time when I was a teenager, and had the time to put up with these crazy mechanics! The only mods I've used in recent BG/BGII playthroughs are widescreen mods, infinity cracker (to avoid having the CD's in) and larger font, and it still is a hell of a lot of fun.

But then again, inventory management is a lot easier when you already know what items you will get, which you want to keep and which you want to sell :p

Guest 2091327

The blank file trick would be useful, it's the same for the scrolling sound when you hover over anything, but first I'd need to know the names of the files, and that can't be easy to acquire. It would be the best solution as then it won't affect store prices and such. Editing the reputation is an alternative too. It will affect prices, but that's not a big concern for the most part. We have 650,000 now Yes, I'm a loot monster who can barely leave chain mail behind, and have sold a TON of stuff.

I do use some mods, but basically only the BG2 tweaks for bottomless bags, max hp on level up, no failure at spell scribing, that kind of thing. Stuff that makes my life slightly easier. Also have icon and animation improvements, which I think means there is more stabbing and such during fights, instead of mostly swinging.

STILL haven't tried the final fight again, but maybe I'll do it today. Will be sad to be done with the whole series though :(

Guest 2091327

It is done!

It went rather well this time, and we managed on the first try (so second combined). I used 2 spike traps on each of the last 3 Melissans, so that helped a lot, since she 'started' the fight Badly Injured. Used summons to keep her summons at bay (could only use one of Deva OR Planetar though). Minsc and Keldorn whacked at her with Hardiness and Greater Whirlwind, while our mages did their best to de-buff her, and throw in some damage spells in between. I've heard she's supposed to bugger off north in the last fight, but she didn't get the chance. Either because we kept whipping her so hard, or because her spells to bugger off and/or summon demons got interrupted. She was alone in the last fight.

Chose to become Mortal. Was just too nasty to leave Aerie behind with child. To my understanding this also means that the Lord of Murder's line is broken off, since the essence was destroyed. Unless our own kid somehow still has it.

I don't know why, but I checked the Movies list before quitting the game, and at the bottom it said "Throne of Bhaal Ending Three". Solar said I only had two choices, but there must be at least three endings then. I could replay from the final save, before the fourth Melissan fight, but think it best to go for a different ending next time. If I play with neutral and evil characters next, it makes more sense to become Immortal, so that will be two endings covered.

Keep in mind this is in spoiler tags, so don't write anything that may muck up the experience for Corylea or others outside of spoiler tags :)

Fantastic game, and although the final battle went much better now, it was very, very difficult. Bit sad to be done with it now. There is only one first time :( Want to replay the whole saga at some point, but probably best with a break from the games now. This has taken a loooooooooot of time

Top Bottom