Playing Classic RPGs

+
Just finished my first playthrough of BG1. I can indeed confirm that the final encounter is really tough! It wasn't so much the "boss" that gave me trouble, but his mage minion. Mirror image + missile immunity + spirit armor + globe of protection...by the gods I hate that bastard.

I can also see what secondchildren and others meant when they said that DAO is hardly a successor to the old D&D games. While companion interaction is better in DAO, everything else is better in BG. The enemies, the dungeons, the lore, the story, the villain, the player freedom. One aspect in particular that really stands out when comparing the two is how much more grand the world of BG feels. I had a sense of discovery and adventure that I didn't really get when playing DAO.

The internet says that BG2 fixes the companion interaction problem, while taking everything else to the next level. I can't wait to start it.

Lord of murder? I think not.

SmilingJack said:
But for a first time player like Glaroug that battle is...interesting.

Yep. Formative I'd say.

To be honest, I found the demogorgon easier than Kangaxx.

SmilingJack said:
Just finished my first playthrough of BG1. I can indeed confirm that the final encounter is really tough! It wasn't so much the "boss" that gave me trouble, but his mage minion. Mirror image + missile immunity + spirit armor + globe of protection...by the gods I hate that bastard.
For some reason I don't remember BG2 final boss fight to be that hard, Sarevok gave me a lot of pain. Even the cambion twins of IWD2 are easier.

I can also see what secondchildren and others meant when they said that DAO is hardly a successor to the old D&D games. While companion interaction is better in DAO, everything else is better in BG. The enemies, the dungeons, the lore, the story, the villain, the player freedom. One aspect in particular that really stands out when comparing the two is how much more grand the world of BG feels. I had a sense of discovery and adventure that I didn't really get when playing DAO.
Glad you agree. I find hard to understand why DAO had such a huge positive feedback. I guess one reason may be because younger players don't know BG or DnD and those games are now unplayable for them (for the isometric view, no 3D polygonal graphic etc.)

The internet says that BG2 fixes the companion interaction problem, while taking everything else to the next level. I can't wait to start it.
In one sense yes. Bg2 companions actively interact with you. I remember I let the game go for hours, while doing other things, waiting for those casual conversations with them. You have to experiment different parties. Coz different companions have different lines of dialogue and different ways to behave when together. And there are romances... ^^

Lord of murder? I think not.
Wasn't Bhaal the Lord of Murder? :-D

Dragon said:

Just use the "thief forward observer" trick. Have her stealth and go forward enough so the thief can see them, but they can't see your main party. Then have your mage throw a cloudkill or two using the _thief's_ line of sight.

The spell starts hurting them, but since they can't see you they dont move, and hence die, waste their spells, etc. The boss gets reduced to minimal hit points (no death until after his spiel which wont fire until he sees you). So once he finishes ranting you poke him with magic missile and insta win :). You can do the same with a certain character in BG2 making a hard fight a breeze.

Another one is to set a heap of traps in front of you and then lure them into the traps by kiting, or when in doubt - chaos spell.

You can get henchman interaction with BG now using the "BG1 NPC project". I tried playing BG:EE but stopped after an hour as it felt so lifeless without banter/comments from the henchies. They're updating it to work in BGEE but it is taking time.

Some guy and his mod team have been working on remaking Baldur's Gate and Tales of the Sword Coast using the NWN2 engine, and it seems they have released their mod:

http://kotaku.com/holy-hell-this-guy-re-created-all-of-baldurs-gate-in-511489475

This reminds me of another project. Baldur's Gate 2 Redux: a Dragon Age: Origins mod recreating Baldur's Gate II.

While I give credit to these guys for their hard work, I somehow feel like this is a waste of time. The games look fine they way there are, and many core elements of AD&D do not translate well to 3.5E (NWN2) and even less Dragon Age. Also, these are text-heavy games and having close up dialogue scenes looking at somebody's face without any sound coming out is awkward. Not to mention the high isometric camera from the Infinite Engine is a staple of excellent camerawork for tactical, decision driven battles.

While it sure looks fun exploring Candlekeep and Irenicus' dungeon in 3D over-the-shoulder perspective, I cannot see myself doing that in combat.

Anyway, what do you think?

I genuinely prefer the IE over DA:O and NWN2 engines so...no.
No if someone could port Mask of the Betrayer in IE, or Fallout:New Vegas in Fallout 2 engine...

To be honest... I'd give it a try ^^ Just for fun, why not.
I have to reinstall my NWN2 first. Direct link to nexus -> http://neverwinter.nexusmods.com/mods/794/?

Guest 2091327

I prefer the Infinity Engine as well, everything looks great the way it is, and the isometric view is great - needed I feel - for this type of game. Could be interesting to give it a go, but doubt I'd finish it. May be an alternative for younger players who can't take the isometric view or the graphics of BG and BG2. Must be one hell of a work he has done though, so I salute him for that.

Time to make a black dragon scale wallet!!!! Level 10, save for Nalia (12) and Korgan (11) on insane. Oh, it was an fun fight! I feel confident enough to bury that red lizard Firkraag!!!

Buts its a very bitter victory. Korgan and Valgar both perished...but they weren't just slain they sort of "exploded". Vlaygar died fighting the beast that threatened his new found home in the mountains, a worthy death of any ranger. Korgan, my beloved dwarven friend, died delivering the killing blow. I ran out of healing and could only watch, and hope he killed it because I was very near death myself.

Korgan's last moments, buffed with the awesome power of Nalia's brand new level 6 spell, Improved Haste. Korgan is behind the wing. Kimblar, the mighty dwarven cleric, is the one glowing from liberal buffs.

Korgan probably would have left eventually, since I wanted to increase my reputation as much possible, but he was such an awesome character. I'm pretty bummed. Such a lovable Chaotic Evil character, like Belkar from The Order of the Stick. zhe and Kimbar made such an awesome team. Korgan why?!?!?!

Death didn't stop others from coming back and it shouldn't stop your buddies. If you don't have a rod of resurrection or a scroll, pick up their belongings and have them resurrected at a temple :)

Also.... levels 10-12 and the shadow dragon?! Yes shadow, not black. He's tougher than Firkraag I think.

Hold on, can I resurrect party members even if they are torn to shreds? I thought the body had to be intact. Those brown bits below the dragon are Valygar.

LOL, I have been in a situation like that before, with the doom-sayer. Do I really want to take on him again, or does Khalid look better as a mince anyway? Feeling sorry for Jaheira, I reloaded....sigh.

Wasn't Bhaal the Lord of Murder? :-D
Yes, but Sarevok was so convinced that he was ascending to godhood that he started calling himself that towards the very end.

SmilingJack said:
No, you can't. If they were gibbed, it is the end. Either you reload and fight the dragon again, or you make a funeral. Choices...

I always reloaded after having party members killed, but I was under the impression it was possible. Hmm... I never considered the whole gibbing thing.

Usually I reload until I get a satisfying conclusion. It's good to know I did the right thing :p

Anyway, Glaroug. You're exerting your party way too much! Under these conditions they will keep dying! Wait until you are stronger if you want to kill powerful monsters without losing so many party members. There's only so many companions after all.

Haha, nah, we're doing alright. I feel bad Mazzy lost "her squire" but adventuring life in D&D is a hard one :D. I could reload, but I like to play games without reloading, unless I die of course :p . Makes decisions weightier and combat nerve racking at times, especially in Baldur's Gate where party members can explode. And the fight with Thaxll'ssillyia felt way too epic to reload though, don't want to cheapen that awesome battle.

Guest 2091327

Can understand why you don't want to reload after winning a combat like that; just wouldn't be the same to beat it again. You're playing pretty hardcore then, but that's cool too. Very impressive in fact. I used to reload as well if party members got chunked, as I was attached to them and didn't want to get new ones. Would revive them with a wand or in a temple if possible though. There is simply too much crap that can kill you, so it's bound to happen often, and then you run out of party members. Not my cup of tea :D

Your avatar is ever so fitting now ;)

Volsung said:
I always reloaded after having party members killed, but I was under the impression it was possible. Hmm... I never considered the whole gibbing thing.
90% you can just resurrect them. But when they are gibbed the portrait vanishes and there is no way to resurrect them. But that happens when they take too much damage at once, and only on hard and insane difficulties.

Guest 2091327

Happens on core rules too, which is what most people play with I reckon.

Yeah and it makes sense. I never payed for resurrections and rarely cast the spells. I enjoy pulling out a clean flawless battle.

And while I can see why Glaroug wants to play like this I don't think the game is designed that way. Unlike in pnp with a human game master, the game is mercyless and will throw lots of tough encounters at you without warning. Mess around with the wrong object, release a Lich and boom, you're dead!

But seriously, major respect points for Glaroug!

BTW Glaroug: how much do you play? you seem to progress impressively fast. Or maybe last time I played I was too slow, playing only little bits at night.

Pangaea said:
Happens on core rules too, which is what most people play with I reckon.
Yes, critical damage and you need to make another character sheet. But it's pretty rare and mostly depends on the Dm decision. One marvelous thing of DnD universe is that... everything is possible ^^

Top Bottom