Playing Classic RPGs

+
The original Baldur's Gate is excellent, it has some kind of dark age atmosphere (perhaps due to the "low" level campaign and the chiseled stone interface, heh). Baldur's Gate II is on a different level. Everything the first one did is there, and then some. Better, more cohesive narrative. More intricate plot and subplots. Much more elaborate NPC's, affecting party stability and opening up dialogue/quests. The combat is even more exciting and dynamic, I'd say, perhaps due to the higher level mage spells.

One drawback of BGII is perhaps that high level D&D campaigns are usually over the top. You're basically walking around with a party of mythical heroes. But if you get past that little detail, it is a satisfying, well rounded computer RPG.

For me, BGII sets the standard for all other cRPG's. Planescape: Torment may have better narrative and reactivity, and others may have less fantasy stereotypes. But BGII features ALL desirable cRPG elements and implements them very well, fantastically in many cases.

Finished playing Wizardry 8. Great game, but really tough. The Road to Arnika is one of the most grueling sections out of any RPG I have played (even those fucking mind flayers), and it's only the second area of the game.

Still, it was worth it for the great atmosphere, unique setting and surprisingly deep story. It's a real shame this series is dead, because it's unique and perfect mix of sci-fi/fantasy is refreshing. More wizards controlling space ships and samurais fighting with light-sabers pls. :(

Volsung said:
The original Baldur's Gate is excellent, it has some kind of dark age atmosphere (perhaps due to the "low" level campaign and the chiseled stone interface, heh). Baldur's Gate II is on a different level. Everything the first one did is there, and then some. Better, more cohesive narrative. More intricate plot and subplots. Much more elaborate NPC's, affecting party stability and opening up dialogue/quests. The combat is even more exciting and dynamic, I'd say, perhaps due to the higher level mage spells.

One drawback of BGII is perhaps that high level D&D campaigns are usually over the top. You're basically walking around with a party of mythical heroes. But if you get past that little detail, it is a satisfying, well rounded computer RPG.

For me, BGII sets the standard for all other cRPG's. Planescape: Torment may have better narrative and reactivity, and others may have less fantasy stereotypes. But BGII features ALL desirable cRPG elements and implements them very well, fantastically in many cases.

Now I want to play it even more!!!
Too bad that I have exams to grade when I return home today... I hope that I can be done with it soon!

GibbGeralt said:
Ah, a pervy teacher/lecturer. I like.

Let´s make it clear: they are all over 18...

Back on topic, though. I finished grading the exams last night so today is gaming day after work! BG II, here I come!

Guest 2091327

Volsung said:

A very good post as usual, but I do have one slight issue with it. BG2 is a fantastic game and it deserved all the laurels it gets, but one thing where its predecessor bettered it was in exploration.

There aren't really wilderness areas in BG2, at least in the way you know them from BG1, and the story isn't as "do what you wish, when you wish it". This freedom can make BG1 a little disjointed at times, so overall it may actually be a positive change, but I would be lying if I said I didn't miss it.

It's a wonderful game though, and right up there as one of my favourites of all time, next to Planescape Torment, and quite possibly Icewind Dale 1. The Witcher 1 was great, but it doesn't quite reach those standards.

I'm now tempted to retake one of my playthroughs of BG2. I believe the main character was called Nelson Mandela. It would be fitting for such a day (for later readers, he died today, December 6, 2013) that he went through it and beat down all the evil in his way. He did much of that in life. Not with magic, but to transcend all the injustice he suffered, he will perhaps seem a bit magical when students read about his life in 50 and 100 years.

Pangaea said:
A very good post as usual, but I do have one slight issue with it. BG2 is a fantastic game and it deserved all the laurels it gets, but one thing where its predecessor bettered it was in exploration.

There aren't really wilderness areas in BG2, at least in the way you know them from BG1, and the story isn't as "do what you wish, when you wish it". This freedom can make BG1 a little disjointed at times, so overall it may actually be a positive change, but I would be lying if I said I didn't miss it.

I´ve put some hours into BG2 already, and I see your point.

In BG1, once I left Candlekeep after the prologue I was like: "Ok, now what do I do???". There is that feeling of freedom to do as you like, while BG2 may feel a bit more restrictive at this point.

Although that´s subjective, IMO. For example, I´m exploring Athkatla now (great city, BTW!!), and there are a lot of things to do, to check out, to explore, etc.
I mean... I still haven´t fully explored three sections of the city and I´ve already defeated a great illusionist literally living in his own delusions of grandure, disrupted the trade of slaves in the slums, and even found a talking sword!!! And now I´m investigating what appears to be a serial killer, so I´ll see where that takes me...

What I mean by all this is: the freedom you felt in BG1 is subjective, IMO. It may be related to the fact that most of the game takes place in the wilderness. But the freedom to explore and do lots of different stuff is there in BG2 too, as far as I can tell from what I´ve played so far.

All in all, I´m really enjoying this game. And I totally agree with Volsung so far: it´s totally in a different level...

So, I´m advancing (slowly, but securely) in BG2. It´s a totally enthralling game, no doubt about it!
I want to tell you veterans about my current situation in the game. If you could give me your opinion, I´d be really grateful!

Gotta warn: there will be some spoilers here, although I know most (if not all) of you who read this thread have already played the game.

Here´s the deal:

After questing around a bit I´ve got enough money to hire the Shadow Thieves to rescue Imoen (not meaning to join the vampires...). Normally, I´d wait a bit more and gain more experience, before advancing with the story. But I have a Good party, and I think Imoen will be an important part of it, so I want to get her back as soon as possible.
Right now this is my party: Jaheira, Minsc, Anomen, Yoshimo, Nalia, and my character who is an Archer. For a while I had Aerie instead of Anomen, but reading a couple of guides made me switch them (Aerie seems to be not very useful... which is a shame, because I like her!).

My plan is to get Imoen and switch her for Nalia, and then go get Keldorn and replace Yoshimo with him. So, I´ll have Jaheira, Keldorn and Anomen as full melee characters, my character and Imoen as ranged, and Minsc as a mixed character (could be used with a longbow or a two-handed weapon, depending the ocassion).
What do you think about this party setup?

That party generally covers all of the bases, spells, prayers and scrapping wise. When you say that you're an Archer do you mean the Ranger class and if so have you done the stronghold quest for that in the Umar Hills, it gives some nice loot. Do that before you leave Athkatla with the thieves, and good luck.

Blothulfur said:
That party generally covers all of the bases, spells, prayers and scrapping wise. When you say that you're an Archer do you mean the Ranger class and if so have you done the stronghold quest for that in the Umar Hills, it gives some nice loot. Do that before you leave Athkatla with the thieves, and good luck.

Thanks for the advice!
I meant my character is a Ranger, with the Archer kit. And no, I haven´t done that quest yet... The only quest I´ve done outside of Athkatla is clearing the castle of Nalia´s family.

Oh i'd definitely do some travelling before setting off then, Trademeet and Umar Hills at least, when you get your stronghold you'll also get a few quests that need solving within time limits so either do them now or don't start them until you're back. Still I can understand if you set off straight away after Imoen, it makes sense family wise, but be prepared for a hard slog.

Blothulfur said:
Oh i'd definitely do some travelling before setting off then, Trademeet and Umar Hills at least, when you get your stronghold you'll also get a few quests that need solving within time limits so either do them now or don't start them until you're back. Still I can understand if you set off straight away after Imoen, it makes sense family wise, but be prepared for a hard slog.

Mmmmh, I understand. Then I´ll continue questing for a while until I´m better prepared, if rescuing Imoen will be too tough in my current situation...
Thanks!

So, I´ve been playing quite a bit more of BG2. I´ve just finished the Unseeing Eye quest... it was great!!! I absolutely adore this thing about these games: an innocent looking side quest can turn out to be a epic adventure by itself!!

And they totally nailed it with the deeper NPC characterization in BG2. I really like the characters, all of them! (Minsc being above them all, obviously, lol!!)

Just trying to keep this, one of my favorite threads, alive.

Has anyone played the free copy of Wasteland (enhanced) that inXile gave away?

I seriously considered it, but after reading a bit about it, I decided to defer gratification until it is complete.

Still, with the dearth of games these days - for me anyway - it was mighty tempting !

Can't you get your old nick back Volsung?

Just trying to keep this, one of my favorite threads, alive.

I was about to post here when I saw this, lol!

I´ve been playing quite a lot of BG2 lately. I´m close to the end of SoA now, I´m in the elven city and I´ve already got access to the palace to look for Irenicus.

What a game, it´s been a hell of a ride! It´s pure epic in every sense! The story is great, Irenicus is a hell of an antagonist (even though he doesn´t talk much each time you face him), the characters are well fleshed out, the quests are fun and interesting and the gameplay is great!
I particularly enjoyed the Umar Hills quest line, and the part in the Underdark, which was amazing IMO. The final showdown with Bodhi was also great.

If there´s still any plot twist that will make me go mind-blown, please don´t spoil anything!!

After this, I´m eager to continue the story with ToB!!

Personally I felt they dropped the ball a bit on TOB, but it settles things in a real nice fashion and takes account of your actions as well as wrapping everything up, think you'll be satisfied.

Hey Kudos,

I meant the reworked edition of the original (classic) Wasteland from 1988. InXile distributed free GOG and Steam keys to all backers (sadly no DRM-free Linux copy yet though...).

I agree with you about Wasteland 2 though. I wouldn't want to try out the beta of such a highly anticipated game. I'd rather wait and play the full version.

About my nickname, well... the forum thinks I am below 13 right now and I can't change it. As soon as they fix it I suppose I will go back to my previous nick. Sucks we can only change it once, doesn't it?

Top Bottom