Playing on a Laptop?

+
Playing on a Laptop?

Who here plays on a laptop and what do you have? My parents are getting me a laptop but since the only (specific) thing I said I wanted was for it to be able to play The Witcher. (There's no point in getting a brand new laptop that can't play my favorite addiction!)They said laptops don't have the right video cards and they don't want to get a different card for a brand new computer. However, my desktop has a lame video card anyway, so I don't think it will be an issue. Suggestions?And, many thanks of course!

Your best bet is ether talk to Mobidoy or Licaon_Kter on that there the Tec mods and they should have a good idea what you will need ;)

ArtreriGreyjoy said:
Who here plays on a laptop and what do you have? My parents are getting me a laptop but since the only (specific) thing I said I wanted was for it to be able to play The Witcher. (There's no point in getting a brand new laptop that can't play my favorite addiction!)They said laptops don't have the right video cards and they don't want to get a different card for a brand new computer. However, my desktop has a lame video card anyway, so I don't think it will be an issue. Suggestions?And, many thanks of course!
Sure you can play on a laptop and yes, you can have a laptop with a Video card that will enable you to play any games.If your parents want to, they can contact me on my email (see my signature) as i offer a free guiding service for those who know less about the mysterious and filles with scammers world of computer. To explain it briefly, cause sadly we had before a nice post explaining it but i van't find it anymore, the numbers of the video card have a meaning. The number of the Thousands is the generation, the number representing the hundreds tells you the strength of the card, if it can run games or not and finaly, the last 2 numbers, unity and tens are for extra features. (hey you techies out there, it is meant to be easy to understand so please, dont come and a screw it up with too much details.So, as i said, the Thousands is the generation. So for Nvidia the latest generation is the 9 (as in 9000) and for Ati it is 4 (as in 4000). This is something to look for if you want your card to be DirectX 10 capable.Second, the magic number, the one that many can get ripped with. The Hundreds. the higher the number, the better the card will be to play games. 100, 200, 300 and 400 are only good for Office work. Those cards are not strong enough for games. 500, 600 & 700 are in between cards, you could be able to play a game with fairly high graphic details with a 700 card. What you are looking for is 800 and 900 as those are cards beefed up to run Graphic intensive application (IE: GAMES).So, what you should look is a Laptop with either an Nvidia Geforce 9800 or Ati Radeon HD4850, you will be in business. You though it was over, JUST NOT YET, games now demand more than just Video, and The Witcher is one of those, they also need a good processor. All those scripts to make the town alive are hard on the processor and if it cant keep up, you will suffer from slowdowns big time :) So as i have said, if you want more info or if your parents have questions, i am available either on the forum here or to my email address in my signatures :)PS: Nvidia has released nes GPU (video card) for Laptop that have things like GTX 280M just dont be fooled, the second number is the good one so, yes, this card is good for gaming.

I play on a laptop, five times so far. :) I assure you that playing on a laptop is quite possible. I'm running the graphics at medium, rather than high, but my laptop is three or four years old, so it's not exactly state of the art.

My parents are computer savvy, so I don't know why they are having issues with this. I just needed to have some proof and was looking for a little help, so thanks bunches, Mobidoy! Your post was excellent! Pretty much just what I needed. They were planning on getting me a fairly state-of-the-art computer anyway, since I might have to run some pretty crazy simulators and CalPoly's website didn't have specifications as to what they might require in the aerospace engineering program. They just said I have to have a laptop.I don't think processing speed will be too much of an issue. I'm currently playing on a system with 2 gigs of ram and a single 3 gHz processor. The game lags every now and then, but not too bad. It would probably run better on my dad's laptop. He has more ram and two 2 gHz processors... *ramble*Thanks, everyone, for your posts!

With this one, there is no way they can say that a laptop can't play The Witcher, in fact, i would like to see if they can find a game that That laptop can't play :)Or, i could for the fun of it build you one that will cost over 6000$ US and show them once again that yes, a laptop can actually have video cards that runs easily the games that are on the market and, the coming ones :)I hope you will get something nice. Good LuckMobi.

Alright, my point to them was successfully proven when I loaded The Witcher onto my mother's laptop and it looked, sounded, and ran better than on my desktop. Thanks for all of your help, you've been wonderful and gave me more than I hoped for when I first posted.

I play on a a year old Clevo gaming laptop4gb, 8800gtx, dual core. Its runs the Witcher great at highest details.

liveinabox said:
I play on a a year old Clevo gaming laptop4gb, 8800gtx, dual core. Its runs the Witcher great at highest details. Personally i would avoid any Asus laptops.
If you say such things, it would be nice from you to say why to stay away.... You may have an excellent reason that, others could benefit :) So?

Mobidoy said:
Mobidoy said:
I play on a a year old Clevo gaming laptop4gb, 8800gtx, dual core. Its runs the Witcher great at highest details. Personally i would avoid any Asus laptops.
If you say such things, it would be nice from you to say why to stay away.... You may have an excellent reason that, others could benefit :) So?
Sorry my mistake...for some reason I was thinking of Acer, I got em mixed up :wall: :-[ Avoid Acer! Awful build quality and support. I've never owned one but I have friends who have had nothing but problems with em.

I play on a laptop. I have a "ASUS G50VT-X5" This thing is screeming FAST!!!!! Look up the revews . I wish you well with what ever you choose..

Thanks, man. ^Welp, my parents decided on a custom Dell that has sufficient specs to play the game as a standard thing. However, since I am going to be playing quite a few games and I'm going to have the laptop for a minimum of five years, my parents and I compromised. I'm going to dish out for an upgraded video card and an upgraded sound card. I think it's perfectly reasonable and I'm excited to get my laptop. :beer:

Alright, so my video card is going to be an ATI radeon 4330, I think. That's the upgraded version and it is the best they offer, so that's what I'm getting.

The Wicher is running on my (now) very old computer with 2.4 Ghz (single) processor, a Nvidia (asus) 6600GT videocard and 2GB RAM. On medium-to high settings. Just to prove that a 6 year old computer can play this game. However, I'm looking to upgrade the computer - soon. With a better videocard..

ArtreriGreyjoy said:
Alright, so my video card is going to be an ATI radeon 4330, I think. That's the upgraded version and it is the best they offer, so that's what I'm getting.
Only thing i can say is to refer to my first post explaining how videocards are numbered.... You are looking for problems...

I don't have any other options. That is the top they offer. That card /is/ the upgrade. My mother has the unupgraded card and it plays fine on her laptop.

Top Bottom