Playing other games

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I started playing Deus Ex:Human Revolution.

Not bad, but being 6 hours into the game and seeing it scoring higher on metacritic than Witcher 2 just makes me laugh.

I'll elaborate more when I finish it, but I have mixed feelings so far.

EDIT: A little update just so people are aware of something that I wasn't when grabbing the box from the store and what might piss some off - the box(retail) version requires STEAM to play.

Yes, plz do it. I'm interested in that game. Can't afford to buy it right now, but planning to do it as soon as the price will low a bit.

A friend who's been playing it since, uh, May, called it a love letter to Deus Ex. I am yet to play both games, siiiigh (skipping DE2 because everybody told me it's crap).

Just like Dona, I'm also fairly new to Deus Ex, many friends recommended the first game over the years, and I know it's like the sacred cow of PC gaming, but never made it past the first level. Out of curiosity I tried the demo of the second game when it came out, but didn't really like it, and now I'm playing Human Revolution, since it's a prequel anyway. It's not perfect and not nearly as beautiful as TW2, but it's so addictive!

It's like Blade Runner taking place in near-future Detroit and you play as Adam Jensen, head of security at Sarif Industries, the most powerful corporate in the city. In the tutorial you're immediately thrown into the middle of a powerful attack against the HQ. Jensen is among the very few survivors, but in order to save his life, his body gets heavily augmented and he ends up being more robot than human. As you progress through the game and follow the leads on the attack doing quests, you gain XP and can unlock your dormant new superhuman abilities.
Since I love stealth games such as Thief, MGS or Splinter Cell, I really enjoy sneaking around, breaking into apartments, robbing people blind, and hitting them from behind. I spent most praxis points on hacking skills so far and probably the majority of people do the same because stealth style gameplay is the most rewarding. Just gimme a stun gun and I'm good to go, if I wanted a simple cover shooter, I'd play Gears of War. :) I managed to knock out everyone during the first mission and got the ghost bonus, it was worth all the quick loads.
I like how the game switches to TPS view whenever you take cover, climb a ladder or take out enemies (the takedown animations are so badass), I also enjoy the hacking minigame and the conversation system, but exploring this yellow-grey steampunk world full of secrets, easter eggs and occasional pop-cultural references is the best. The story is good and important characters are quite entertaining, my favorite is Pritchard, the prick IT guy with the cool voice, and Ezekiel, the one-eyed terrorist bro who ripped the augs out of his body. Damn.

Prepare for Bible references and don't forget that Adam means human. SO DEEP.

Dona said:
A friend who's been playing it since, uh, May, called it a love letter to Deus Ex. I am yet to play both games, siiiigh (skipping DE2 because everybody told me it's crap).
Try the demo. After playing like 20 minutes of it, I deleted it and don't want to touch it ever again.

And I really liked Origin :/

eskiMoe said:
Try the demo. After playing like 20 minutes of it, I deleted it and don't want to touch it ever again.

And I really liked Origin :/

I meant Deus Ex 2, not Dragon Age 2 :] I gave DA:O a shot because of a friend who was obsessed about it and even let me borrow her discs, but it was so... bad. Three hours in and there was nothing that interested me. Graphics were godawful, writing poor, premise horribly cliché - I know it's supposed to be one of the best RPGs ever, but I just couldn't get into it. The same happened with NWN, so I guess Bioware games simply aren't made for me. I find party system a bit annoying and romance bores me to death. Heh.

Klara, that sounds good - it's pretty much what my friend said about it, too. I am too a Thief/MGS fan, so sneaking sounds so tempting (apparently it's possible to beat the entire game without killing a single soul - woop!) I want to play the first one first, still, unless it makes me motion sick like such games usually do.

gregski said:
I started playing Deus Ex:Human Revolution.

Not bad, but being 6 hours into the game and seeing it scoring higher on metacritic than Witcher 2 just makes me laugh.

Looks interesting, but I'm not crazy about it. Seems like too much of an FPS for my taste.

Remember that game scores are also a measure of popularity, not just quality. Some movies/music/games/books are underrated because they are harder to get into, and do not appeal to such a large audience.

Finished yesterday Deus Ex HR, A good game. Story was good but nothing ground-breaking or amazing.
It was also bit obvious. Especially If you are one to notice the small details.
Story-wise my choices mattered little, Very little replay value If you look at the story.
Jensen character... Is something we all saw before. Nobody knows about his early life. He is working to save the world, Bla Bla Bla. He's VA is preety good though, Reminds me of Clint Eastwood.

It deserves a perfect 7/10 in my book.

Bastion is a great game, Some very neat desgin ideas like that narrator telling the story.

PsyCoil said:
Finished yesterday Deus Ex HR, A good game. Story was good but nothing ground-breaking or amazing.
It was also bit obvious. Especially If you are one to notice the small details.
Story-wise my choices mattered little, Very little replay value If you look at the story.
Jensen character... Is something we all saw before. Nobody knows about his early life. He is working to save the world, Bla Bla Bla. He's VA is preety good though, Reminds me of Clint Eastwood.

It deserves a perfect 7/10 in my book.

Yeah I agree with this.
I knew right from the start where she got that special DNA from, by reading some of those hidden Ebooks.

Thank you for the vids secondchildren, the Mass Effect dance montage is fabulous. :p It's been a while since I played Bloodlines and Mass Effect and watching these videos brought back good memories. : )

Playing Bloodlines these days, I spend WAY too much time on the dancefloor. It's so much fun! And that gorgeous girl in long white dress... will I ever get a chance to find out more about her? (no spoilers, please, a yes or no will do :'))

You call those dance moves? Check this out! ;)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfVlI9b0ms4&feature=related[/media]

Dona said:
Playing Bloodlines these days, I spend WAY too much time on the dancefloor. It's so much fun! And that gorgeous girl in long white dress... will I ever get a chance to find out more about her? (no spoilers, please, a yes or no will do :'))
You mean the one you see dancing in the Asylum? She's not a NPC. She's just part of the environment :D
And the answer is... yes :)

I prefer the kind of "dancing" when you're just messing around with the game mechanics. :D

Like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj1nJzQPVYA

Or this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx5MB-FvpDA

When I was playing Bloodlines I couldn't stay away from that dancefloor for too long. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom