Playing other games

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Chlong7Think I've got the idea.Watched some gameplays on Youtube and I saw that it's exactly like another game I tried, Penumbra. Same developer I guess, ain'it? Also is it me or the main character has the same name in both the games? lolAnyway, I've found Penumbra less scaring than the Cradle asylum in Thief 3. That made me freak out as hell!

Slowly wrapping up Dead Space 2, on chapter 13 now. Game is a mixed bag, amazing visuals and sound is kind of held back by the lack of bosses and game's length. Overall it's a very good game, just wish it was longer.

slimgrin said:
Downloaded some mods for DA, wish I had done it sooner. I'll keep picking away at it I suppose, now that I can skip the fade. :)
It's funny how different people can be. Both of us love The Witcher, so one might think we'd have similar tastes in games, but actually, The Fade was my favorite part of Dragon Age. It was different from the rest of the game, some actual creativity had gone into it, and players actually had to think for a second or two to make it all work. Plus, I didn't have to micro-manage three other people's combat for a change. :)The area I wanted to skip was the Deep Roads. They seemed endless and unchanging to me, the exact same thing over and over and OVER again.I haven't investigated all of the DA mods, but the two I wouldn't play without are the Lock Bash mod and the Expanded Inventory mod. My mage can rain fire from the sky, and my fighter can kill Ogres with half a dozen blows, but they're both stymied by a plain wooden box? Really? Uh-uh. Not playing that way. I have to pay for downloadable content to store all this crap I'm hauling around because I found gifts in Lothering that I can't use until I get to Orzzamar (which I do last)? Uh-uh. The game was expensive enough, thanks.

Guest 2091327

I actually quite liked the Fade too. But I know many hated it. As you say it was different than just mowing down enemies every 10 feet, so I liked that. Took some thinking and planning. Was a bit confusing with all the rooms and whatnot, but overall I enjoyed it.Deep Roads was the Dwarven place, right? I think that's where I finally gave up on the game, deep down there somewhere. Hmm, or maybe some other place. Remember killing some dragons somewhere, but by then I was so fed up with all the enemies everywhere that one day I simply stopped double-clicking on the icon. It had gone from "fun" to "chore". Still a good game, though, particularly compared to its sequel. Think I used one mod, and that was Lock Bash :thup:

I join same Corylea's taste. Thumb up for the Fade, thumb down for the Deeproads (annoooooying).I love the shapeshifting in the Fade and huge amount of skill points to upgrade the character for free. Cheating ;-)

I liked the idea of the Fade in DAO, but I thought the execution was a bit dull. It's true that you get a break from micromanaging a team, but it's still a bog-standard dungeon crawl. I wish they had implemented some new mechanics to make it feel like a dream world in which normal rules don't apply. I know that's risky, but it would have underscored how different the Fade is supposed to be.For example, the final boss in Beyond Good and Evil has to be fought with reverse controls because it messes with the main character's head. It's tough, but it's also a cool little tweak to the endgame. Professional level designers ought to have a few ideas up their sleeves for how to mix up the mechanics without destroying the game.@secondchildrenYes, Frictional Games (Sweden) made Penumbra before Amnesia. The games are similar, but the use of visible enemies is more restrained in Amnesia, and your ability to defend yourself is completely taken away. IF you run into an enemy, you can only run...and they're not slow, and the shadows won't always hide you if the enemy is too close. It's less, hmm, concentrated (more strung out, maybe?) than the asylum level in Thief 3.

Alright, so who is looking forward to Arkham City? I sure am. Rocksteady did an amazing job with the first one.

I liked Arhkam Asylum, but I didn't like it enough to really look forward to the sequel. I'll probably get it eventually when it pops up on Steam sale for $5 or so.

I am looking forwrd to Arkham City I just waiting to see what kind of CE there going to be The Batarang that came with the last one was nice and the case was cool the box that the game came in and the other stuff was Meh

Well when you're as old as I, you'll realize that games like Blood, Little Big Adventure 1 & 2, Civilization 1 and Settlers 2 are the only true games to go with.

JohanS said:
Well when you're as old as I, you'll realize that games like Blood, Little Big Adventure 1 & 2, Civilization 1 and Settlers 2 are the only true games to go with.
And what about Black and White 2? :D

secondchildren said:
secondchildren said:
And what about Black and White 2? :D
That's eight year too new for my taste. Not to mention it lost it's touch. Black & White 1 was still pretty new, the second game didn't really add anything and was mostly story driven. How to best describe Black and White 1 & 2 is to describe them as a coffee game. You sit in peace drinking coffee when you don't want to think or act that much. I did though enjoy beating my pet in the game. But I don't think that's a valid reason enough to play the game.I also forgot to mention, Age of empires, The Secret of Monkey Island & Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge. Damn I'm getting old and confused.Granted I do enjoy some newer games aswell like:The Witcher as RPG, Gta Vc & Mirror's Edge as action/adventure, Aoe 2, Aoe 3, King arthur Roleplaying wargame & Medieval 2 Total War as strategy and as simulation games, 18 WoS Long haul & Evochron Mercenary.Other games mentioning is Hoi 2, Europa Universalis 3, Fallout 3, Oblivion & Borderlands. (I could mention Fable LC but that's like tapping Peter Molyneux on the shoulder saying good job and I can't be that extreme)Since I don't play any game for a long time but rather switch between them (depending on my mood) I can't really say which game I'm playing at the moment. Why so little RPGs you ask?! Once you've played The Witcher what's the point playing any other RPG?

While I understand the question as mainly rhetorical I must say I would have missed a lot of RPG goodness if I had not had the luck of playing the Ultima and Wizardry series, Demons Winter, System Shock, Darklands, Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines, Temple of Elemental Evil and Divine Divinity ;) Ultima IV is available as a Flash game and V and VI are gloriously remade as spiffy Dungeon Siege mods. VtMB and ToEE have great unofficial patches./Dan

JohanS said:
Granted I do enjoy some newer games aswell like:The Witcher as RPG, Gta Vc & Mirror's Edge...
Yay! Someone else who likes Mirror's Edge! (Sorry, had to have a silly fan moment there.):)

The mention of Mirror's Edge made me think of the cult game Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy. Golden Oldies: Populous, Lemmings, Syndicate Wars, Fantasy General, Dungeon Keeper .../Dan

chlong7 said:
Yay! Someone else who likes Mirror's Edge! (Sorry, had to have a silly fan moment there.):)
Yes it's a little cute game who atleast is innovative and new. Sure it isn't perfect, they storyline is a bit flaw (we never get to know if we indeed are the good guys or just terrorists delivering bombs), the controls can be a bit deranged, causing you not to be fully aware where to go and fall down now and then, and it constantly can't deside if we're supposed to use guns or run away. Not to mention it's short. But it's still experimental and fresh so there is hope that Mirror's Edge 2 will polish off all the rough edges and become a great game. The only real problem I see is that after you've finished it, it's unlikely you will play it again. But it will provide some meaning if my friends ever wanna try it.

Downloaded Beyond Good and Evil HD last night. Game is great, once again I can't believe I slept on it for so long:(Looks like I'll spend my weekend going through this adventure since I'm sick and won't really go out (can't say I'm complaining though;D)

Just found another nicie shooter from EA, going to come in 2011: Shadows of Damned. Take a look a the trailer, if you like. It's funny for those who like pulp-horror-tarantinian movies. :DAlso, it seem that the date release for Alice MR is Jun 2011. I'm quite puzzled *shrug*

MM360 said:
Downloaded Beyond Good and Evil HD last night. Game is great, once again I can't believe I slept on it for so long:(Looks like I'll spend my weekend going through this adventure since I'm sick and won't really go out (can't say I'm complaining though;D)
Heh, I've called in 'sick' to work before as well when a good game came out.....*cough, cough*;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom