Playing other games

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I ve seen it at a friend's house... didnt really like it. :p
First, I find the writing plain horrible; overly pretentious, but with no soul... way to waste Patrick Stewart as a narrator. It didnt make ANY sense, as far as story goes. And failed IMHO at making you care about the characters and their stuff.

Friend says its the translator's fault, that Japanese version is so much better... :rolleyes: But again, she LOVES everything Japanese, so I dont know...

Gameplay wise it reminded me much of the infamous Dante's Inferno...

So no... I wouldn't recommend it... But again, everything shrinks to a laughable state when you compare it with the Witcher2...

yuikami said:
I just found out about this one... hopefully it won't turn out to be boring like Spore after few days of playing o-o From Dust

I think you should at least consider getting Black & White2... Same kind of genre, but much better game. And with LOTS of comedy, which "From Dust" doesnt have ANY. The first Black & White was even better, but I think you will have trouble making it work with Windows XP.

heres a link
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_13?url=search-alias%3Dvideogames&field-keywords=black+%26+white&x=0&y=0&sprefix=black+%26+white

JackintheGreen said:
I think you should at least consider getting Black & White2... Same kind of genre, but much better game. And with LOTS of comedy, which "From Dust" doesnt have ANY. The first Black & White was even better, but I think you will have trouble making it work with Windows XP.

heres a link
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_13?url=search-alias%3Dvideogames&field-keywords=black+%26+white&x=0&y=0&sprefix=black+%26+white

Thank you! I'll sure get it! I also liked the first one. Time to kill to kill more puny humy!! >8D

JackintheGreen said:

heres a link
Word

About Castlevania: LOS: I din't expect nothing more that a Dante's Inferno style game. But I was thrilled by the visual. Thanks a lot :D

You are right. The game IS beautiful. And not to sound such a hater, I have to admit the boss battles are pretty sweet...

But my point is, such an unoriginal clone of God-of-War+Shadow-of-the-Colossus, I wont recommend to "buy". Dont konw if you can rent games in Italy, but if you cant, good and BETTER alternatives to this are both "Enslaved" and the PS3 "collection" version of the classic "Ico+Shadow of the Colossus" (which is going to be out in a month).

Enslaved
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnrOPv1Peno&feature=related[/media]

Ico
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMsGiJ_Fc3g&feature=fvst[/media]

@Jack
Well thanks
Fact is I could borrow Castlevania: LOS for a friend of mine, but unfortunatly I have no console :)
So for now, I just watch and appreciate :D GOW3 for example, I've watched the entire gameplay on youtube. Same for Dante's Inferno (bleah...)

Regarding those games:

@Yuikami
I'm not a great fan neither of FF series nor Soul Calibur, but if there is something that I do really love of Japanese games is the way they make trailers: they treat them like anime, with an incredible careness to direction. Seems like watching a movie not a game teaser. This I like!

I feel the same about JRPGs, good trailers. Some of the old JRPGs are pretty decent(like over 10 years ago...) although ever since I got my hand on western RPG, I can never enjoy them anymore, more free decisions to make, or may be I just got bored of JRPGs since I grew up with them. The only FFs I can stick to is 4-7 and I spent years hating FFXIII since the day japanese version came out and XIV Failed even worst... Ever since SquareSoft turned into Square Enix they've ruined many games I used to follow and the last one that made me snapped was The 3rd Birthday... Good bye Aya...

Monster Hunter(s) actually are pretty fun game, spending time building up characters and farm bunch of items to defeat bunch of badass monsters... But all I hear is western people complaining when they just started the game with mission on collecting mushrooms while only a couple missions after that they would get into a real fight... May be it's just diferent gaming tastes.

Just started Two Worlds II, got it cheap on a Steam sale. So far its...OK, but there's a lot to do so maybe I'll get drawn in more as it progresses. I didn't find the first one as bad as everyone said..but I got it on a wicked sale at GOG :p

Finishing up Avadon:The Black Fortress, which has been great fun. Highly recommend it.

On the casual side, I've been going back to Din's Curse and Hinterland. Both of which are enjoyable time wasters :D

Been meaning to give Starpoint Gemini another shot. Didn't get past the tutorial because of real world interference (hate it when that happens).

But on Aug 23 all this goes out the window when Deus Ex:Human Revolution drops

I just played a bit of LA. Noire but its so repetitive and linear I got bored half way through the game. But recently I found HD remake of Beyond Good and Evil! on PSN store its pretty fun! and really worth those few $

Talking about consoles Im just waiting for Uncharted 3 and Tekken Tag Tournament 2 and also new Soul Calibur as well (love fighting games :cool:)

Geee, Jackie!

I've just watched the Last Guardian's trailer (for some reason I missed it today reading your latest post)... well, sounds so Miyazaki
Still wondering what kind of game it'll be. I'll keep an eye it. Thanks for sharing

Beyond Good and Evil! I love that game so much, it's one of those rare ones where I just had to complete all challenges, haha. I want the sequel so bad... hell, even news about progress in development would be nice.

Isn't Last Guardian the game that was surrounded by some drama about changing the gender of main character (they changed it from a girl to a boy, I think)?

About Last Guardian, they making that game for so long now Im pretty sure game will come out next holiday even tho It might be ready sooner then that just SONY will have more AAA titles for busy holiday season.

Still wondering what the game will be about. Will it be something like past titles or something completely new?

JackintheGreen said:
But my point is, such an unoriginal clone of God-of-War+Shadow-of-the-Colossus, I wont recommend to "buy". Dont konw if you can rent games in Italy, but if you cant, good and BETTER alternatives to this are both "Enslaved" and the PS3 "collection" version of the classic "Ico+Shadow of the Colossus" (which is going to be out in a month).
Okay, you lost me there. Lords of Shadow was a good game with some annoying flaws. Enslaved was decent but that's about it.

But OT, at the moment I'm playing a Wii JRPG called "Xenoblade" after reading some very positive reviews from it and I have to admit, it's really, really good. I generally dislike JRPGs but this one is a gem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRGh8Vv7HRE

eskiMoe said:
But OT, at the moment I'm playing a Wii JRPG called "Xenoblade" after reading some very positive reviews from it and I have to admit, it's really, really good. I generally dislike JRPGs but this one is a gem.

What makes it really, really good? After playing TW many games started to feel like it's all about (mindless) fighting and the story gives only a stupid reason to fight and some drama. Environment in the trailer looks beautiful but is there anything else?
I could use my Wii more frequently so I'm interested.

Arosus said:
What makes it really, really good? After playing TW many games started to feel like it's all about (mindless) fighting and the story gives only a stupid reason to fight and some drama. Environment in the trailer looks beautiful but is there anything else?
I could use my Wii more frequently so I'm interested.
I'm gonna quote Gamespot on this (because I pretty much agree with them):

"Xenoblade Chronicles is a remarkable game. It drags the JRPG into the 21st century, modernising many of the genre's traits and nailing a pace that outclasses the majority of its peers. Even coming from Tetsuya Takahashi--a man whose previous credits include Chrono Trigger and the other Xeno titles--it's a hugely surprising, versatile game. It has everything that seasoned JRPG veterans are looking for, but it also manages to lift the barrier for entry for those new to the genre. It retains the traditions it wants to and modernises the aspects it needs to. It's not only one of the best JRPGs in years; it's also one of the best RPGs regardless of subgenre. Xenoblade Chronicles is a captivating, magical game which deserves to be hailed as the revolution it is."

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/rpg/monadobeginningoftheworld/review.html

In a nutshell, it has a huge and interesting world, terrific battle system, lots and lots of things to do, plenty of general improvements to the genre (e.g. no more random encounters, proper armor system). Can't say much about the story (I'm only at the beginning) but it seems pretty standard for the genre (with some unexpected twists) and there are some characters that can be a bit annoying at times but nothing that would kill your fun.

But I still have to say, if you don't like grinding at all, avoid the game. It's all about defeating monsters and leveling up but unlike most games in the genre it's addicting and fun (imo). Easily the best JRPG of this hardware gen.

Borrowed Shadows of the damned and LA Noire from a friend yesterday. Will play them during the weekend probably. Also, don't know if you guys knew but Street Fighter III: Online Edition has just been released for XBL (PSN yesterday)! Oh happy day!!!!

@Secondchildren: Lords of Shadow is great! If you have a chance, definitely pick it up. Amazing visuals and familiar dark setting from previous Castlevania games make this one a must have IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom