Playing other games

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
e-ahmet said:
@Pham and others interested in Katawa Shoujo
I finished one of the paths on Katawa Shoujo yesterday. I checked the play time. It says 8 hours or so and that's only one of the paths. I think there are five total, not sure.
Thanks for your comments on Katawa Shoujo; I was interested to read them. It does, indeed, take a long time to play read experience Katawa Shoujo. I've played three paths over the last few days, and it takes a looooong time.

It has a great quantity of polish. I loved the artwork, sound effects.
It does, indeed, have a great deal of polish. Just lovely.

I'd like to add this is the first visual novel I've ever read.
I read a couple of others, when I was searching for game engines for the game I'm making. The RenPy engine can make something that's a lot more like an actual game than Katawa Shoujo is, and even the other visual novels I've experienced had more choices per hour of reading than Katawa Shoujo does. Of course, I only read a handful of them, so I don't know what the average really is. There was a cute one about a girl and her robot.

The first time I went through Katawa Shoujo, I didn't use a walkthrough, and I died at the end of the first act, even though I didn't make any obviously silly or or stupid choices. So I recommend a walkthrough. :'(

Using a walkthrough, I played the Lily path first. Although I liked Lily herself -- and the nude Lily is gorgeous -- I didn't like this path as much as some of the others. Lily's sedateness made it feel as if I were going out with a middle-aged lady, even though we were both supposed to be in high school. And I thought the ending was forced and didn't really grow out of who the characters were.

I played the Rin path next. I liked Rin a lot when I first met her -- she seemed like a free spirit who thought deeply and spoke unconventionally. Even the "good" path relationship with her is extremely unsatisfying, though. She seemed a lot weirder in a relationship than she did when I first met her. I usually like quirky and unconventional people, but Rin got more standoffish and strange, and it was like having a relationship with a photograph.

I played the Emi path next. I had avoided Emi because I thought she's probably give poor Hisao a heart attack, either through his trying to keep up with her, or through whacking him in the chest or something. I thought her path was the most realistic of the ones I played. She seemed to me to have realistic problems that matched what she'd been through, and it felt like she was reacting to those problems in ways that people actually do. A relationship with her was the most satisfying of the ones I tried.

I didn't like Shizune at all, so I'm definitely not playing her path. I'm not sure if I want to try Hanako's path or not -- have people played her? What's she like?

The one I really wanted to have a relationship with was the librarian, Yuuko, but she wasn't an option. Something about her just seemed endearing to me. Maybe it's just that TW1 gave me a taste for redheaded women.

Hanako is my personal favorite. She is just too adorable and cute :) Her route is basically about white knighting, but I don't want to spoil it.

I have not played the other routes yet (and probably never will). Playing them and knowing that Hanako is all alone in her room just makes me get back to her immediately.

The first time I went through Katawa Shoujo, I didn't use a walkthrough, and I died at the end of the first act, even though I didn't make any obviously silly or or stupid choices. So I recommend a walkthrough. :'(
xD
Did it involve splatting on the ground?
In my second and third play I died like that, after that on the fourth time I could advance to Lily's path.

My first choice was Emi and you're right.
Hisao nearly died trying to race with her.
Of course that was Hisao. I'd told him it was dangerous :p

I don't think many people would like the Shizune character. My regret was Misha wasn't an option.

Pham said:
Hanako is my personal favorite. She is just too adorable and cute :) Her route is basically about white knighting, but I don't want to spoil it.

I have not played the other routes yet (and probably never will). Playing them and knowing that Hanako is all alone in her room just makes me get back to her immediately.
Awww. That's sweet, Pham. I like knowing that about you. :)

Pham said:
xD
Did it involve splatting on the ground?
In my second and third play I died like that, after that on the fourth time I could advance to Lily's path.

Yes,
Much splatting, I'm afraid. Nice use of English, by the way; I think most non-native speakers wouldn't have thought to use "splatting" there, but it's entirely appropriate.

You played again after dying TWICE IN A ROW? Wow. After dying on the first play-through, I nearly decided that the game wasn't worth it and sent it to the recycle bin.

Pham said:
My first choice was Emi and you're right.
Hisao nearly died trying to race with her.
Of course that was Hisao. I'd told him it was dangerous :p
*smile* I like the identity blending that one gets when playing these kinds of games. For awhile, you are the character, and then something happens and you pop out and become just the advisor, then after awhile, it's back into character again.

I don't think many people would like the Shizune character. My regret was Misha wasn't an option.
You liked both Emi and Misha, huh? I think I'm sensing a pattern here, one of high energy levels and extreme cheerfulness.

Well I finished Portal 1 yesterday and I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised. Not only by the creative and fun gameplay, but by the story and GLaDOS as a character.

GLaDOS is surprisingly complex and interesting, all while being incredibly entertaining and strangely loveable. This is the game that came closest to making me feel something resembling Stockholm syndrome.
And since GLaDOS was the only character there and the only thing that talked, we got to see her develop as a character at every single stage.

Now I don't agree with a lot of sites / awards that place her as the best PC character and / or antagonist out there. But I'd definitely rank her pretty high.

And this made me be interested in Portal 2, which I am going to buy on my 360 for the splitscreen coop (with my bro).

I just got back to playing a game I left due to TW2 and other titles: Deus Ex: HR. This is one classy game. A thinking person's game in terms of level design and multiple approaches. If you haven't picked this one up, do it.

Speaking of Deus Ex: HR, a friend showed this to me yesterday. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NTjLhPlq5A

I got Rule of Rose, finally! It's impossible to get my hands on a copy, but a friend lent me his, yay. I wanted to play it with the PCSX2 emulator and it runs beautifully, but it doesn't play the cutscenes (so I watched them on youtube). ;_; Gotta fix my TV asap.

Scissors out of reach? You've got to be kidding me.

Alan Wake's PC version comes out in a few hours. :)

Dona said:
You'll have to play with settings to get cut-scenes to work, but it's possible. This thread may help: http://forums.pcsx2....rt-Rule-of-Rose
Thanks! I found this very same thread yesterday, but it says you need to use Zero GS video plugin in order to get the cutscenes work. Zero GS is slower than GSdx, it only allows native resolution, and I also have a weird shadow glitch. :/

siklara said:
Thanks! I found this very same thread yesterday, but it says you need to use Zero GS video plugin in order to get the cutscenes work. Zero GS is slower than GSdx, it only allows native resolution, and I also have a weird shadow glitch. :/
Ah, I played in native resolution, windowed actually, so it didn't bother me. The only glitch I had were some very minor slowdowns, but nothing game-breaking. Well, I hope you enjoy the game :>

You played again after dying TWICE IN A ROW? Wow. After dying on the first play-through, I nearly decided that the game wasn't worth it and sent it to the recycle bin.
I played both of them with skip mode, so it didn't take much time. Also, the fact that I enjoyed my first playthrough so much was a motivator to see more of the game.

Much splatting, I'm afraid. Nice use of English, by the way; I think most non-native speakers wouldn't have thought to use "splatting" there, but it's entirely appropriate.
I've picked it up from TotalBiscuit Listening to daily/informal native speakers helps a lot I guess.

You liked both Emi and Misha, huh? I think I'm sensing a pattern here, one of high energy levels and extreme cheerfulness.
Yes, my energy level in RL close to of Lily's. I don't know if it's a good or bad thing. I think the people with high energy levels complete me or rather entertain me.

Scissors out of reach? You've got to be kidding me.
LOL It is out of reach because of an unknown reason she can't jump :p

Alan Wake's PC version comes out in a few hours. :)
I'm interested in that game. Let us know about it, if you get it please :)

Dona said:
Ah, I played in native resolution, windowed actually, so it didn't bother me. The only glitch I had were some very minor slowdowns, but nothing game-breaking. Well, I hope you enjoy the game :>
Thank you. :3 I think I'll stick with GSdx to have good graphics with a steady framerate and watch cutscenes on youtube, this combo works for me. :) That shadow glitch I have using Zero GS is really annoying.

Corylea said:
Awww. That's sweet, Pham. I like knowing that about you. :)

Damn it, it slipped out :D Nah, I really am like that.
In hindsight, Hanako was a natural choice for me. Shy, cute, likes reading, likes computers, introverted. Just like me in real life, just a bit more extreme I guess. Also I'm a sucker for purple (and dark) hair/eyes in general. Also her casual clothes... if I would be in Hisao's place, I would get a heart attack out of sheer cuteness/adorebleness (is that even a word, I doubt it :D)

I read about all routes and saw the flowchart, so I know what happens. I just don't have to suffer through it.

Lilly would be a second choice for me, Rin was too.... ehm Rin. Emi was more of a friend friend for me, and Shizune.... I really didn't care about her at first, but once I advanced more into the story, I kinda began to like her. Misha..... is Misha, loud and annoying :D Not my kind of person.

Spoiler regarding Misha btw:
If you go through Shizune's route, you get to ehm "comfort" Misha in the bad ending. Comfort as in sex. Also you learn why she is not an option
she is lesbian and is in love with Shizune
Yay spoilers in spoilers :D Spoilerception

And the death is awesome. It was a manly picnic after all.

Alan Wake for PC is out today.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz7HhSzvuak

If you haven't already played it on XBox grab it ;)
21 euros on Steam

Can't say Alan Wake interests me in the least. Looks like a throwaway TV show plot.

If I'm going with horror, the hint from Friction studios is what get's me interested. These guys know how to make a man piddle his knickers.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/335653/amnesia-the-dark-descent-sequel-teased/

Yesterday I bought the Alan Wake. I waiting for this game since it's announced. And finally I can play this fantastic game. This game have an amazing atmoshpere, beautyfull OST and brilliant story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom