Playing other games

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
NotSlimgrin said:
I'm disappointed in how I've leveled up so far. This is why I tend to have so many starts in an RPG. Should have upgraded social skills and stealth (like cone of vision) abilities right off the bat.

The devs site 3 ways to approach game play: pure stealth, pure combat, and 'adaptive' which is a mixture of both. I lean toward adaptive. One note DB, you get bonus XP for many different types of feats ( head shots, take downs, verbal skills, etc.) Some of these bonuses even stack, so how you play affects how fast you level up. This is exactly what I wish every RPG would do - have a dynamic XP rewards system. ( RED's...you reading this? :p) I'm finding the game pretty difficult as well, but cover and iron sights sure help. Also, my rule of thumb quickly became don't rush in.

I'm getting better :)
I guess I'm using adaptive too - stealth until I get spotted, then kill them all.
I think I made some bad decisions too on the levels, but that's what the second playthrough is for. Also for everything that I'm missing.
I also keep forgetting this one is three-dimensional. I just had to take my first look at a walkthrough after getting stuck because I forgot I could jump over low obstacles.
I agree with you about the XP though. It is well done.

Just beat the first boss, and barely a hint of the creative game design so prevalent in previous conflicts is present here. A few RPG's to the enemies face helped alleviate my disappointment though. My recommendation to Eidos Montreal for the sequel is to licence RED Engine.

The XP system in DX:HR is actually horribly broken, since it forces players into a specific playstyle if they want to maximize experience. Hack everything (even if you have the password!), take everyone down nonlethally.

Kodaemon said:
The XP system in DX:HR is actually horribly broken, since it forces players into a specific playstyle if they want to maximize experience. Hack everything (even if you have the password!), take everyone down nonlethally.

True, the system actually rewards hacking/stealth more than headshots. Oh, and the bosses are so much @#*%&@

Yeah, the boss fights are easily the worst part of an otherwise pretty great game. They were actually outsourced to another studio, and it shows, it looks like the developers didn't quite understand what type of game they were dealing with.

I just installed the original Deus Ex for the first time (with fan patches and whatnot). Let's see how that goes 8D

Dona said:
I just installed the original Deus Ex for the first time (with fan patches and whatnot). Let's see how that goes 8D
Once you are done you can follow a hilarious 'Anti-Walkthrough' of the original Deus-Ex here

An 'anti-walkthrough' is a like a normal walkthough of the game, but exploits all the bugs, glitches and easter eggs in a game to turn the 'official' story inside out. The catch is though you have to have played it to get a lot of the humor/references.

Lyc said:
Once you are done you can follow a hilarious 'Anti-Walkthrough' of the original Deus-Ex here

An 'anti-walkthrough' is a like a normal walkthough of the game, but exploits all the bugs, glitches and easter eggs in a game to turn the 'official' story inside out. The catch is though you have to have played it to get a lot of the humor/references.
Oh, sweet! Bookmark'd :]

Well, I did the tutorial and I'm pleased because first-person view didn't make me sick. Key configuration is a bit weird, but I'll get used to it... I hope.

Pangaea said:
THAC0 is a measurement of how easy it is for you to hit others. When it's high it's difficult, when it's low it's easier.

Am playing Torment myself, and just got to Sigil now. Fairly confused by the whole thing so far, but killed some dude and his wife in a house as they went apeshit on me. That may or may not be a huge mistake, but oh well. Want to play this game without checking up guides and whatnot, so am bound to make some howlers along the way.

Am playing it on my laptop with native 1366x768 resolution, and that looks pretty good. Anything bigger would be pointless really, as it's difficult enough as it is to pick up stuff from the ground and such. I used 40% bigger font too, which is fitting for my eyes.

Lovely game it is :)
Thanks for THAC0 information Pangaea and secondchildren.

@Pangaea
You're talking about Angyar. I can tell you did it wrong xD, though I don't think there is a wrong way. What you do throughout the game defines your Nameless One's character. IIRC when intelligence points are high you get more dialogue options. According to your statistics you get different or more dialogue options each time you play.

Also quick saving is very useful. Q on keyboard.

Dona said:

You are in for a treat. The original is much superior to HR in my opinion. There is one very handy (and simple) "exploit" that eliminates the need for leveling hacking and lockpicking, I can tell you what it is if you want :D (Its kinda cheating though, well, exploiting game mechanics)

Guest 2091327

e-ahmet said:
Thanks for THAC0 information Pangaea and secondchildren.

@Pangaea
You're talking about Angyar. I can tell you did it wrong xD, though I don't think there is a wrong way. What you do throughout the game defines your Nameless One's character. IIRC when intelligence points are high you get more dialogue options. According to your statistics you get different or more dialogue options each time you play.

Also quick saving is very useful. Q on keyboard.

Heh, maybe I should have reloaded and NOT killed them - but that's rather late now. It wasn't because of that, but later in Sigil I changed to Chaotic Neutral, and later yet back to True Neutral. Not sure why, but I have some suspicions.

It's a great little game with so much dialogue it's unreal.

Q is indeed very useful, particularly since the game has a nasty habit of crashing every now and then. I thought it was supposed to be Win 7 compatible...

Pham said:
You are in for a treat. The original is much superior to HR in my opinion. There is one very handy (and simple) "exploit" that eliminates the need for leveling hacking and lockpicking, I can tell you what it is if you want :D (Its kinda cheating though, well, exploiting game mechanics)
I don't want to cheat, but I'll definitely poke you if I feel the need to.

@siklara
Ahhh wish he'd do one for Thief 3, too. Welp so many old games to play...

Oh dear, Deus Ex. I will NEVER finish it. I keep reloading because, oooh can I do it this way? YES! Oooh I found data I needed for that thing over there, no need to use Multitool, RELOAD. I am a hacker now, woooo~ omg chocolate. Can I eat it? Hazmat suit! Batons! Weapon upgrades I am too scared to use so early on! There are so many items I'm all giddy, lol.

It's just a really really really good game. The soundtrack is beautiful.

Dona said:
Oh dear, Deus Ex. I will NEVER finish it. I keep reloading because, oooh can I do it this way? YES! Oooh I found data I needed for that thing over there, no need to use Multitool, RELOAD. I am a hacker now, woooo~ omg chocolate. Can I eat it? Hazmat suit! Batons! Weapon upgrades I am too scared to use so early on! There are so many items I'm all giddy, lol.

That's the beauty of the game. So many ways of solving every little problem.

OMG. Now I know what Not Slimgrin meant about the first Boss Fight in HR.

I played it twice. First time, every noob mistake in the book. Went for the main quest too early, no side-quests completed, very little exploring done, poor choice in augmentations, totally unprepared, totally impossible.

Rewind most of the first chapter.

Second time, I had a rocket launcher. :) :) :)

dragonbird said:
OMG. Now I know what Not Slimgrin meant about the first Boss Fight in HR.

I played it twice. First time, every noob mistake in the book. Went for the main quest too early, no side-quests completed, very little exploring done, poor choice in augmentations, totally unprepared, totally impossible.

Rewind most of the first chapter.

Second time, I had a rocket launcher. :) :) :)

Just wait until the final boss fight! Ooooh boy, please come back and share your thoughts, I wanna read that! :)

Pham said:
That's the beauty of the game. So many ways of solving every little problem.
Yes! I peeked at anti-walkthrough and it seems I did everything a bit backwards. But that's what makes it so fun, every way is the right one ;)

Quick question, will I shoot myself in the foot if I focus on melee/stealth weapons only? I'm most comfortable using the baton, stealth pistol and tranq dart crossbow. I do have a sniper rifle but I hate using it and would rather just drop it off my inventory completely. But something tells me I won't be able to take on bigger enemies with just a baton in my pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom