Playing other games

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Blothulfur said:
Real good interview with Larian boss Sven (of Divinity fame,) honest, open and PR speak free. Spotted at Codex, thought we had a forum for Original Sin but i'm buggered if I could find it.

http://pcgmedia.com/interview-with-ceo-of-divinity-series-developer-larian-studios-swen-vincke/

ah Codex.

I can't wait for Original Sin. It looks great especially the multiplayer dialouge. If there is one thing I liked about TOR it's the multiplayer dialogue.

Blothulfur said:
Real good interview with Larian boss Sven (of Divinity fame,) honest, open and PR speak free. Spotted at Codex, thought we had a forum for Original Sin but i'm buggered if I could find it.

http://pcgmedia.com/...os-swen-vincke/

"Swen: I think European games developers aim their games at themselves. And that American developers aim them towards a ‘target audience’, and that’s a very big difference."
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]
[/font]
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Someone e-mail this statement to Bioware.
[/font]

slimgrin said:
"Swen: I think European games developers aim their games at themselves. And that American developers aim them towards a ‘target audience’, and that’s a very big difference."
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]
[/font]
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Someone e-mail this statement to Bioware.
[/font]

With the exception of some smaller developers like inXile and Double Fine and recently Obsidian through Project Eternity, I'd say that is absolutely TRUE. Like the US American movie industry, they make material that sells. Period.

Should I get all of the Gothic series or just the latest one? What's the differences between them? I kinda wanna play it since they keep referring to it with TW3.

guipit said:
Should I get all of the Gothic series or just the latest one? What's the differences between them? I kinda wanna play it since they keep referring to it with TW3.

Do NOT get Gothic 4. The game is really mediocre. Gothic 2 Gold and Gothic 3 are both great open world games. If you want a newer Gothic game, get Risen instead (the original, I dislike the sequel).

guipit said:
Gothic 1 and 2 are the best, rest are just not the same.

Playing AC2. Some may crucify me for saying it, but I think there's a couple things CDPR can take from the combat system it has, namely the dodge mechanic and counters.

slimgrin said:
Playing AC2. Some may crucify me for saying it, but I think there's a couple things CDPR can take from the combat system it has, namely the dodge mechanic and counters.

I agree. AC has some good combat mechanics, but enemies attacking one by one and counters being so OP is what ruins it. But countering with a hidden blade or dodging and disarming enemies just feels great.

slimgrin said:

No Dodging and Countering is waaay too easy in the AC series. The only thing I like are the animations.

slimgrin said:
Gothic 1 and 2 are the best, rest are just not the same.

that's what I keep reading about it but how is it not the same? What'd they remove? Can I play Gothic 2 without playing Gothic 1?

guipit said:
that's what I keep reading about it but how is it not the same? What'd they remove? Can I play Gothic 2 without playing Gothic 1?

I did it just fine. Gothic 1 and 2 are nice open world games. Gothic 3 is even more open, very similar to TES games. In the first 2 games, you still follow the story and main quests to progress, but you can totally ignore that in Gothic 3. I personally liked all 3 games, but 3 is quite different and can be a bit overwhelming in the beginning. For example, you fight Orcs attacking a human city in the first 5 minutes, then you venture out and encounter non-hostile Orcs.

Gothic 4 was made by another company and its crap (read: Mediocre, absolutely nothing worth mentioning about it). You get a new protagonist and the overall tone of the game is very different. Also its quite linear. Its similar to MMOs with separate questing areas and not one open island.

As I said, for "Gothic 4", get Risen instead. It feels very Gothicy and is miles superior to Gothic 4.

Currently playing through Blazblue: Calamity Trigger on the PC to see how it is as opposed to the console versions and as a tripe down memory lane(and to chievo hunt/whore as well).

More questions for Metro 2033 players.

I reached the cursed station and then the "communist" station. I looked at their stores and saw those nice rifles they have. The Kalashnikovs seem to be much better than my original machine gun, but I didn't realize until now that I could have picked one up a few levels ago and ditched that rusty old gun.

Is weapon selection really all that important? Or is it a matter of preference? I do have a silenced revolver with a longer cannon for stealth kills, a handful of throwing knives, and an automatic shotgun for damage/close combat.

So far I am enjoying this game. I like the pace, it feels much more interesting than the average shooter. I also like the atmosphere and the general theme. I've never been a fan of shooters, but some how... *gulp* I actually really like this. If they add more narrative depth and gameplay hours to the sequel I might be interested in it!

guipit said:
If you can handle older graphics, play Gothic 1 and 2 (you can play Gothic 1 with textures from Gothic 2). If you can't, play Gothic 3 ...however be warned, melee combat is broken. I prefer bow and arrow because of that. It's a good game nevertheless (and yes, community patches are crucial). If you want mix of G1, G2 and G3 with great combat, play Risen. It's from the same guys.

Gothic 1 - 8/10
Gothic 2 - 9/10
Gothic 3 - 7/10
Risen 1 - 8.5/10
Risen 2 - 6/10

Gothic 4 never happened.

Volsung said:
More questions for Metro 2033 players.

I reached the cursed station and then the "communist" station. I looked at their stores and saw those nice rifles they have. The Kalashnikovs seem to be much better than my original machine gun, but I didn't realize until now that I could have picked one up a few levels ago and ditched that rusty old gun.

Is weapon selection really all that important? Or is it a matter of preference? I do have a silenced revolver with a longer cannon for stealth kills, a handful of throwing knives, and an automatic shotgun for damage/close combat.

So far I am enjoying this game. I like the pace, it feels much more interesting than the average shooter. I also like the atmosphere and the general theme. I've never been a fan of shooters, but some how... *gulp* I actually really like this. If they add more narrative depth and gameplay hours to the sequel I might be interested in it!
Just depends on your preference/playstyle. They all do generally the same damage.

Csszr said:
Just depends on your preference/playstyle. They all do generally the same damage.

Thanks. I made it past the commies and nazies, sneaking mostly, and got a pair of night vision goggles from the last guy. Should have got some earlier! I settled with the Kalashnikov and the Heavy Automatic Shotgun for now.

Now I just finished the trolley fight mission. That was pretty cool. Don't know if this is how modern shooters are, but Metro 2033 is a lot of fun!

guipit said:
Play G1 then 2. Story is good and characters and some locations are coming back in the part 2 defo worth starting from the beginning. Dont look at review score.. like it ever matters.
Gothic 3 started to be more open world then first 2 but it was just a not the same. Finish first two parts and then try G3.

Well what do you know, Thief 4.

Or should I say Thief: The Dishonored Project. I mean, seriously:

EDIT: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/03/05/april-cover-revealed-thief.aspx

Unfortunately, the City is broiling with social tension as it is ravaged by a plague and lorded over by a political tyrant

This is getting ridiculous.

Kodaemon said:
Well what do you know, Thief 4.

Or should I say Thief: The Dishonored Project. I mean, seriously:
This is getting ridiculous.

What a great find, I can't belive I forgot about Thief 4. I'll deffinitely get this.

Oh and yeah when I saw these pics I thought nice Dishonored is getting expansion. Still I believe it must be great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom