Playing other games

+
Status
Not open for further replies.

Well, that is just ridiculous. Looks too similar to Dishonored. But I will wait for videos before passing judgement.

I just finished replaying Bastion on New Game+. Such a great little game, too bad its so short (finished it in 2 sittings). I really love the weapons and the way the game handles difficulty with Idols though. Its a lot of fun playing the game with all Idols active.

Thief was in production way before there was any info about Dishonored. Also it was always steampunkish franchise, so no wonder that there are similarities.

How can they be the same games? One is all blue, the other is red. /s

This is how a lot of games feel right now, same stuff in new packaging. Pretty much why I am fond of the witcher series.

Aver said:
Thief was in production way before there was any info about Dishonored. Also it was always steampunkish franchise, so no wonder that there are similarities.

Well, info about a plague and a tyrant brings it awfully close. We just have to find out which game is ripping off which one. But as I said, I will wait for gameplay. I expect it to be plenty different.

I don't. The combat already looks Dishonored-like (the screenshot with pseudo-Garrett pushing the guard), the grappling hook or whatever is the equivalent of blink, there's a "highlight every interactive object" vision mode, they emphasise freedom of playstyles (read: you can murder everyone with ease if you like)...

Oh, right, we'll get forced third person elemets in this one, so it's different.

EDIT: found the GI scans, check out this gem:

At one point, the game had so many third-to-first-person transitions that the constant camera shifting was making people sick.

BWAHAHAHAAAAHAAA

So this just came out. Downloading now.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=83NkPguw9Jg[/media]

Kodaemon said:
Well what do you know, Thief 4.

Or should I say Thief: The Dishonored Project. I mean, seriously:

This is getting ridiculous.

Hm.. so a steampunk franchise that's been around since 1998 looks like Dishonored, which has been around since last year.... ok.

Kodaemon said:
Not the franchise. The maligned reimagining of said franchise.

The screenshots you posted look very much like Thief of old (albeit the graphics are almost a decade apart).
The plot, a tyrant running a city... oh, yeah, Dishonored created that concept.

Kodaemon said:
I don't. The combat already looks Dishonored-like (the screenshot with pseudo-Garrett pushing the guard),
You assumed that combat is like in Dishonored because you see one screen shot where Garret push a guard? Are you serious? Serious serious?

the grappling hook or whatever is the equivalent of blink
You mean like rope arrow from previous Thief games?

there's a "highlight every interactive object" vision mode,
All Square Enix games have that - Deus Ex:HR, Hitman, Tomb Raider... But yes, it was copied...from few years old Batman:AA.

they emphasise freedom of playstyles (read: you can murder everyone with ease if you like)...
All previous Thief games had that... And tons of other games too... Deus Ex:HR anyone? Game made by same studio?

Sorry, but arguments like "They are copying Dishonored because you can sneak or fight" are just silly.

At one point, the game had so many third-to-first-person transitions that the constant camera shifting was making people sick.
DX:HR had that too and it worked fine. They probably still have to refine it a little bit, but I bet that it will be as good as in HR.

cmdrflashheart said:
How can they be the same games? One is all blue, the other is red. /s

It's left to right, not top to bottom :)/>
I must admit, when I saw those screenshots the first thing I thought of was a spoof like that "This is DA3" video showing Foltest's death. But this seems to be validated?

But the similarities in those shots and story description go beyond belief. The best I can think is coincidence, but that's stretching it. And it's what, 5 months since Dishonored came out? That's too long a gap for "Thief came first". Obviously Dishonored borrowed concepts from the Thief franchise, but this similarity is an entirely different level.

Oh, and lets stop with the personal attacks please.

Aver said:

Man I don't know, that looks like it's straight out of Dishonored.

I've got a question: someone has had any kind of experience\opinion with Darksiders and Darksiders II? I'm asking because there's another nice giveaway on Steam. Thanks in advance :)

I enjoyed playing the first Darksiders- the combat is typical hack/slash, but on the Apocalyptic setting it can be seriously fun. The story is engaging at first, but then gets predictable. Overall, it's a fun game to play. This one also came with game music and a comic, FYI.

I didn't like the second one because the MC movement in it is kind of awkward, and the beginning of the plot is incredibly cliche, so I lost interest. But as I never played the game beyond the first 30 min, I can't tell you if it gets better. Be advised that you don't need to make an account to play it.

If you like action hack/slash games with some storytelling, you will like Darksiders.

Does the Thief series have a really good story? The art direction is looking pretty good maybe they have the same render as Dishonored. I hope it won't be as cartoony as Dishonored.

Playing the new Tomb Raider - it's the best and worst of modern gaming...but mostly good. Quite good really. I just don't get the fetish for QTE's in the industry. Gamers almost unanimously hate them, and yet devs keep putting them in games, time and again. Can anyone tell me WHY THE FUCK THEY KEEP DOING THIS BECAUSE IT IS DRIVING ME FUCKING NUTS...Other than that, it's a good game.

*meanwhile, CDPR claims no QTE's in TW3 and the entire world celebrates.

guipit said:
Does the Thief series have a really good story? The art direction is looking pretty good maybe they have the same render as Dishonored. I hope it won't be as cartoony as Dishonored.

I haven't played Thief 3 yet, but there's no real story in 1 or 2. They're good games in their own right, but they'd probably fall outside a lot of people's definition of "RPG".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom