Playing other games

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
dragonbird said:
I haven't played Thief 3 yet, but there's no real story in 1 or 2.

I beg your pardon??!! The story takes a while to get rolling, but when it does...

They're good games in their own right, but they'd probably fall outside a lot of people's definition of "RPG".

They're not RPGs. The first one was initially labelled as an RPG, but that's only because stealth games weren't yet an established genre. (By the way, Thief, Metal Gear Solid and Tenchu all came out in 1998. The holy trinity)

secondchildren said:
I've got a question: someone has had any kind of experience\opinion with Darksiders and Darksiders II? I'm asking because there's another nice giveaway on Steam. Thanks in advance :)/>

I very much enjoyed both games. I would even go as far and say Darksiders 2 was my GOTY or at least top 3 last year. One of the main reasons why I loved the games that this genre is not very common on PC. Darksiders is a series which borrows concepts from a lot of different games, this is especially true in the first game. There is a LOT of Zelda influence in the game, some Portal, some environmental puzzles ala TR held together by a decent combat system. There is even some third person shooter action. I would give it a 7/10, nothing new but its just a lot of fun. Plus the story is pretty decent.

Darksiders 2 on the other hand, improved drastically on everything of the first game. Its much more RPG, with talent trees, loot, leveling (both weapons and character) and a semi open world with quest hubs compared to the linear levels of the original. The combat system also got massive improvements, and is probably the second or third most "flexible" combat system with a lot of combo potential behind DMC 3 and 4 (and a DMC "pro" agrees with me here). Easily a 9/10 for me.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

slimgrin said:
Playing the new Tomb Raider
I'm gonna need the deets on exploration. That's all I care about in Tomb Raider games. Is there any or is it a straightforward action game like the trailers advertised?

Re: Thief; yeah, those two screenshots look a lot like Dishonored. Which looks like previous Thieves. So, chicken, egg. I haven't played T1&2, but Thief 3 had a great story and was very fun to play. It's a dark game, so these new colourful screenshots confuse me :c

Also, do not want object highlighting. Finding all the treasures was a fun thing to do in Thief 3, why take that away! :(

You definitely should try the two first games if you liked the third one, Dona :)
Now is the perfect time, too, with them being available on GOG and the updated engine and compatibility.

I have the entire collection, actually, I just never got around to playing the first two (I played the third one quite a few years ago). Uh, off to install them!

Great :D

Fix compilations for Thief1/Gold and Thief 2 respectively:
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134733
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131106

Thank you!

edit: Speaking of Thief 3, I just found this screenshot that may be relevant to Witcher fans/new Thief screens:

(Seems I played it in May 2009. Four years!)

@Pham, cmd_flashheart
Ah I see! thank you guys, I'll think about it and then decided. Thanks a lot

As for Thief series: the story ain't among its strenghts to be honest. But the gameplay is funny (at least in Thief 3 DS). If it's at an affordable price, Thief 4 might be the next on my shopping list.

Ok, after a long night of just laughing watching a walkthrough of ME3's latest DLC, I've come to the conclusion that Citadel DLC is the best thing Bioware has done in *years* and that this should be their new direction.

It's evidently clear that they fail to do serious, complex storylines. They should never try to bring philosophy or deep meaning into things. They should stay the **** away from politics and military because they have no clue how either work. And they can't make compelling and multi-faceted antagonists anymore. And know what, it's fine! You don't need that to make great games.

So they should stick with their comparative advantage and focus on what they do best. Companions, relationships, romance, and humor. I would play an entire series if it was like the Citadel, where I could be entertained and laugh the whole time. It's light-hearted, it's hilarious, it's moving, it doesn't take itself seriously. It was practically the perfect bioware game. They should absolutely move in that direction.

It's not derogatory or demeaning for them to do this on the contrary. Goofy doesn't annoy me at all, in fact I enjoy it a lot. But goofy masquerading as deep and complex annoys the **** out of me. That's where Bioware's major failure these last years lies imo. They should drop all pretenses and do what they do best. It would be very entertaining and I can guarantee that I'd be buying bioware games again.

Maybe you would, but would you enjoy them as you once this or would you just dub them dumb entertainment? Games that you play just once, have some fun and the move on as are so many other games?

You are right in that I would enjoy them myself but I don't they would ever reach the level of either DA:O or ME1 + ME2 which I replayed six times for DA:O, 4 times for ME1 and over 15 times for ME2.

Anyway I played through the DLC and made this pic. I think I'll hold on to it as my desktop and the good memories I had of Mass Effect, it may rest in peace for me for what it once was and what should have been instead of what it became.

Oh there can be a lot of replay value if they do it correctly. They should proceed with romance and develop them to the point where you'd want to play another playthrough just to experience another romance. And if they make it a lot of fun, I can replay it. I mean I only replayed ME2 3 times, the 2nd being forced, because I couldn't' get through it. If it was like citadel, I'd most likely play it more than 3 times. It's definitely a kind of game I would enjoy.

Is it dumb entertainment? Maybe, but I'll focus on the entertaining part.

Meanwhile I only played through Citadel once and very likely will not touch again it though I am tempted to just do it once my fem Shep.

But beyond that? No, don't think so. Mass Effect is finally dead for me. For what it's worth that screenshot is my new Desktop and I think I'll keep it there for a while. A reminder of some of Bioware's greatness ( though to be frank I am quite pissed what they did with Javik in the DLC ).

Javik was awesome in that DLC hahaha

Glyph beeps red for just one second
Javik: IT APPEARS THE MACHINE IS PREPARING TO REBEL
hahahaha

Team Hammerhead: "let's show team Mako how it's done!"
Team Mako: "You're just copying us"
Javik: TEAM PROTHEAN HERE. I HAVE A HIGHER BODY COUNT THAN ALL OF YOU COMBINED"
LOL

And then sex with Javik bahahahah
Instantly Javik has become one of my favorite companions.

A guy who was one of my favorites along with Wrex, Garrus and Zaeed...reduced to this shit. So I don't share your views on this.

Wrex: "I wanted to go" *sad pouty voice* hahaha

I mean yes, wtf is Wrex doing when he's supposed to be leading an entire species, but you know what? Fuck all that, Bioware never did it well so it should just stop trying.

If I am going to replay ME, I am going to pick destroy, pretend that Shep and crew survived, and then reload and play this DLC pretending it's the ending.

Just finished watching the walkthrough of the Citadel DLC, and it was just like I expected it to be--a gigantic wankfest.

I do admit, I did enjoy the comical moments between the characters and other similar scenarios, but that is all there is to it, and no wonder since that is BW's strength with their latest games these days (feels like one of their only one now). They should stay away from stuff like politics and conspiracies--like in this DLC, since they don't know jackshit on how to make good ones. Though I would be lying if expected it to have any of the "intrigue" they claimed the DLC would have.

Anyhow, gonna save a picture of the crew photo just as a small memory of the characters, but other than that, won't bother with the series again.

My blueberry didn't get a lot or romance scenes wtf

yeah this dlc was really out of place from the whole saving the galaxy thing. Biowares next title should just be something more light hearted since that's what they're good at right now with the Reapers gone maybe in ME4.

also that photo is just silly all of your crew getting along and dancing is just rubbish.

Dona said:
I'm gonna need the deets on exploration. That's all I care about in Tomb Raider games. Is there any or is it a straightforward action game like the trailers advertised?

Re: Thief; yeah, those two screenshots look a lot like Dishonored. Which looks like previous Thieves. So, chicken, egg. I haven't played T1&2, but Thief 3 had a great story and was very fun to play. It's a dark game, so these new colourful screenshots confuse me :c

Also, do not want object highlighting. Finding all the treasures was a fun thing to do in Thief 3, why take that away!

It starts out straight forward and railroaded, then it begins to open up in areas that are fairly small but fun to explore. It has lite RPG elements which is always a plus in my book. I think it 's supposed to open up quite a bit at some point, not total sandbox style but enough to let you stretch your legs. I really like the animations for Laura and how she gets around. They make her seems like a newb ( which she is in this game) at her climbing and such but the controls are still tight and fluid. and she actually moves like a woman, a rare thing in games.

guipit said:
silly all of your crew getting along and dancing is just rubbish.

All of them getting together and taking a photo is not silly in itself. How they do that via the party is.

I still can't get over the fact Shepard can have fucking sex with JAVIK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom