Playing other games

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kodaemon said:
That's what I'm saying indeed.

If you read the GameInformer article, there's a whole section where they pretty much admit that for a long time, they had no fucking idea as to how to approach the game.

Then, Dishonored comes and a few months later EM finally has things to show, and what do you know, they look very much like Dishonored, with the setting shifted heavily towards XIXth and even early XXth century (just look at the clothing on the characters), almost identical colour palettes, a social tensions+plague+tyrant setup that IS identical and gameplay features that are very much similar to Dishonored.

Hmm...

Yeah, been waiting for that game, not anymore. Maybe if I had liked Dishonored a bit more. But just turned out not to be my cup of tea, unfortunately.

Also Dishonored took ideas from the Thief series now the Thief reboot will incorporate ideas from Dishonored, doesn't bode well. On top of that it has been in development hell.

Kodaemon said:
Oh hell yes, Severance: Blade of Darkness is on GOG! The Dark Souls before Dark Souls :D/>

Kodaemon said:
Severance on GOG...TAKE MY FUCKING MONEY YOU BEAUTIFUL BASTARDS! I'm off to cut off a goblins arm, then thrash its mates with the wet end. Dear Lord of gaming, we're not worthy.

What? WOOOT!?!? I'll run to GOG and buy my copy then, before they run out of them!!!

Oh, wait.

That's another good news after the ones about To The Moon 2 being in development! :)

Dona said:
Imitate Dishonored completely, of course not. But there is evidence they had no idea which direction to take until a few months ago and now too many similarities are popping up. More info. (edit - it's the Gameinformer article Kodaemon mentioned.)

My bad about object highlighting, so they did glow a faint blue. I had it off which is why I don't remember it. It still wasn't as prominent as Focus that paints the world black and white with objects glowing in your face.

I'm being cautious about it.

The info you linked says they had been working on the game for 4 years. You are equating "not having and idea which direction to take" to "they sat on their hands for 4 years talking about making another game, not doing any story boards, concepts, designs, etc., then saw Dishonored, and within 5 months they now have a game half done that imitates Dishonored".

But ok. Whatever. Yet another Bethesda "first", I guess...

Thanks for putting words into my mouth, I never said half the things you think I did. I won't be discussing this with you anymore.

Blothulfur said:
Severance on GOG...TAKE MY FUCKING MONEY YOU BEAUTIFUL BASTARDS! I'm off to cut off a goblins arm, then thrash its mates with the wet end. Dear Lord of gaming, we're not worthy.
Blothulfur said:
I just bought the bloody thing a few weeks ago for 40 fucking dollars on Amazon. Goddamit.
Blothulfur said:
What? WOOOT!?!? I'll run to GOG and buy my copy then, before they run out of them!!!

Oh, wait.

Something gives me the impression I should consider buying it...

I'll just quote my post from GOG:

One of my favourite experiences with this game:

I picked up an axe that my character was not able to properly use.

However, I could THROW it.

So I threw it at a group of three enemies.

DISMEMBERING THEM ALL.

Finished Tomb Rider. Not bad game, solid 6/10 from me quite fun. Too bad it's TR game only by name. Game suffer from too many QTEs and horrible hollywood style writing. Lara was impaled on rusty rods, was cut millions of times and after all that she was swimming in smelly gutters and even in river of not all that fresh blood. She would die of peritonitis on her first day on the island. Overall the game really insult your intelligence in the name of over the top action. It was fun but nothing beyond that, like watching cheesy action flick from the 80s. It would be much better if the devs focus on the videogame aspect instead of trying to make interactive movie. Would recommend renting or buying later when the price drop.

TR in the nutshell:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwjq-ZWnYyM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmV_NW8Zaeo

YUS! Finally beat FTL for the first time. The third phase of the last boss gave me so many headaches, especially playing an Engi ship.

Sirnaq said:
Lara was impaled on rusty rods, was cut millions of times (...)

Sorry, but complayning about unrealistic amount of damage suffered by protagonist in the Video Game is silly. In average game you got hit by hundreds of bullets at end of the game you still perfectly healthy. In Far Cry 2/3 protagonists took so much of metal out of their guts that if they would sell it on junkyard then they would be millionaires.

I'm almost half way through TR and I can see the writing on the wall. The game will be too short and the cinematics and QTE's aren't going to let up. Sirnaq is right. They are trying to make a movie out of it. Despite that, it's still quite a bit of fun. I'd recommend it on discount.

Im not complaining about amount of damage you took in the gameplay. Im complaining about wounds lara get canonically in the story. You can't prevent being impaled, it's in cutscene after that she casually take this metal rod off with her bare hands even though taking foreign objects out of your belly wound without special medical help would most definitely end up with bleeding, infection and death. Writing in tr is just naive and retarded, that's all.

Sirnaq said:
Im not complaining about amount of damage you took in the gameplay. Im complaining about wounds lara get canonically in the story. You can't prevent being impaled, it's in cutscene after that she casually take this metal rod off with her bare hands even though taking foreign objects out of your belly wound without special medical help would most definitely end up with bleeding, infection and death. Writing in tr is just naive and retarded, that's all.

In plenty of games there are 'canonical' unrealistic damage. Protagonists/antagonists are being shot during cutscenes all the time and yet, they keep going like it was nothing. They survive also heli crushes, car accidents, fall from extreme high etc. It's not first time when character is casually taking foreign object out of his body. I'm not saying that it's wrong, but it's video game standard.

Aver said:
In plenty of games there are 'canonical' unrealistic damage.
Plenty of games has retarded writing, doesn't change the point. Same with Hollywood movies actually, that doesn't mean games should get free pass especially games that are half movies like TR.

Sirnaq said:
Plenty of games has retarded writing, doesn't change the point. Same with Hollywood movies actually, that doesn't mean games should get free pass especially games that are half movies like TR.

And what is not giving free pass?

Lords of the Fallen from Tom Gop is reportedly still alive.

Marek Tymiński, City Interactive CEO:
Work is proceeding full steam ahead. The premiere is next year, but the game already looks very good today. Both gameplay-wise and visually. The combat system will be the essence, and the game will be released for nest gen consoles and PC. Details are still a secret, but we will be able to share them soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom