Playing other games

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
fchopin said:
Lara is one of the best made up characters i have ever seen in a game.

I can only partially agree. At beginning of the game she was great, she was believable, vulnerable and still a little bit "innocent", but then after 5-6h she turned into this inhumanly strong mass killer that screams at group of fleeing enemies "I will get you all!". At the end of the game they toned down this pandering, but they already wasted potential for strong, but believable character.

Modern compound bows are in this year, every game has to have one even if it's set in a fantasy universe.

I would say that it fits steampunkish universe.

Aver said:
I can only partially agree. At beginning of the game she was great, she was believable, vulnerable and still a little bit "innocent", but then after 5-6h she turned into this inhumanly strong mass killer that screams at group of fleeing enemies "I will get you all!". At the end of the game they toned down this pandering, but they already wasted potential for strong, but believable character.

I agree that she does change from a scared and confused girl in to an action hero very easily but she was trained in how to look after herself, climb mountains and use weapons before in her life. The only thing she had to conquer was her own belief in herself as before she was always looked after and did not depend on herself.

After a few of her friends died she came out of her shell and started to not be afraid any more, and said "i will get you all" meaning for what they did.

That is how i see it.

guipit said:
Wtf I know they're real just saying they look really jarring compare to Lara and the setting.

How? Modern bow in modern setting, I don't see anything wrong here. The fact that Lara found classic reflex bow is more unusual. If not magical ancient Japanese warriors that are still alive then I would call it bullshit. But compound bow fits perfectly. I don't see anything unusual.

Aver said:

Well I've always seen Lara Croft as a super action hero type figure, comparable to comic books and action flicks. She's not meant to be that realistic, but rather a legend type figure.

No one really questions all the shit Batman does. Like punch dead a horse at full gallop speed. And mind you I'm a huge Batman fan. Same with Indiana Jones.

I've been researching Tomb Raider more and more, including story wise, and it looks at the very least decent to me. Lara being op is not that big an issue for me if it's in tone. I mean mostly all male protagonists that I know and love are greatly op and the transition from innocence to badassery is usually fairly short (you'd need something like Breaking Bad with 50 episodes to get it really right).

So it's not an issue for me unless it's very jarring. Can people give me a more detailed review with regards to the story? I'm hoping that Lara might be the first female set protagonist that I play as.

Not much to say. Lara get's stuck on a Island with the crew of an expedition she was a part of and she must find a way off the Island while surviving from the wild life and the islanders who wants to kill her while indulging in Tomb exploration.

There's also this whole crazy religious cult for the islanders worshiping a godess

She's....not well done.

Look I understand that a character can become hardened through a traumatic experience, but Lara starts off as this very naive, childish character who by the end is this ruthless mass murdering bitch who takes some joy in slaying her enemies and I am supposed to find this believable?

KnightofPhoenix said:
Well I've always seen Lara Croft as a super action hero type figure, comparable to comic books and action flicks. She's not meant to be that realistic, but rather a legend type figure.

If you look for characters that are like from comics then it's ok. I like realistic characters made out of flesh, not steel. Characters that feel fear, despair and pain. First hours of TR gave me impression that she will be like that. Then they turned her into Batman in body of teenage girl. If you like super heroes then you will like her. I wanted something different.

Well it's like Indiana Jones. A super badass.... archaeology professor...

I can enjoy Lara Croft for what she is. An action hero.
I mean I loved Tommy Angelo, who's this badass mafioso who can slaughter dozens of gangsters without showing much remorse despite being a cab driver.

So it's not a huge issue for me, if she is still interesting and entertaining throughout.

Well sure, but India Jones starts off like that unless you count the Young India Jones series but even in that series he wasn't far from it and the character growth was believable. I don't find it so with Lara.

The problem isn't that she's slaughtering dozens of foes and enjoying it at the end, the problem is that at the beginning she almost crying over having to kill a deer alone a human being, and she's constantly freaking out over it.

It's not unbelievable if it's done well but Tomb Raider is a short game. About 10 hours.

KnightofPhoenix said:
Well it's like Indiana Jones. A super badass.... archaeology professor...

Oh, Indiana Jones doesn't have even 30% of badassery that new Lara has. ;)

Aver said:
If you look for characters that are like from comics then it's ok. I like realistic characters made out of flesh, not steel. Characters that feel fear, despair and pain. First hours of TR gave me impression that she will be like that. Then they turned her into Batman in body of teenage girl. If you like super heroes then you will like her. I wanted something different.
Why would you play Tomb Raider then? While it's an origin story and they're trying to make the characters a bit more believable, it's still Tomb Raider at heart and Lara's still going to end up being an untouchable badass even if they try to make the setting and her rise to badassery a bit darker (think Batman Begins).

When people go through a lot of shit, they can change quite dramatically. Esp if it's something within them that's been there all along.

It's like Ezio, who is my favorite protagonist. The death of his family awakens a mass murderer who I think enjoys the killing. Now granted he had growth, but he had 3 games so.

KnightofPhoenix said:
When people go through a lot of shit, they can change quite dramatically. Esp if it's something within them that's been there all along.

It's like Ezio, who is my favorite protagonist. The death of his family awakens a mass murderer who I think enjoys the killing. Now granted he had growth, but he had 3 games so.

The thing with Ezio vs Lara, and I did play the beginning of AC2, is that Lara doesn't go through anywhere as much shit as Ezio does and she becomes a worse killer then him.

Also isn't AC2 a somewhat long game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom