Playing other games

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
ReptilePZ said:
That's like... your opinion, man. :p/>/>

Indiana in movies surrendered several times. Lara being surrounded, at gunpoint, outnumbered grabs her bow that has on her back and is ready to fight. "Screw your automatic guns, I will kill you all with my provisional bow made out of sticks" ;)

CostinMoroianu said:
The thing with Ezio vs Lara, and I did play the beginning of AC2, is that Lara doesn't go through anywhere as much shit as Ezio does and she becomes a worse killer then him.

Also isn't AC2 a somewhat long game?

Yea it's not too short.

In any case, like I said I don't mind. Tommy Angelo's turning point was simply having his cab be assaulted by gangsters. If she's entertaining and interesting, I can enjoy her.

Aver said:
Indiana in movies surrendered several times. Lara being surrounded, at gunpoint, outnumbered grabs her bow that has on her back and is ready to fight.
It was but a tactical maneuver. After he surrenders, he ends up kicking everyone's butt. Plus, this builds up tension and makes the moment of pure badassery even more memorable.

^ Is this where I point out the fun fact that scene is like that because Harrison was sick as hell and couldn't act out the choreographed fight? :D

KnightofPhoenix said:
Can people give me a more detailed review with regards to the story? I'm hoping that Lara might be the first female set protagonist that I play as.
As Aver said, the beginning is fine - it is very clear from the first scene that the setting is very gritty and dangerous, and Lara is scared but finds the strength to move on. The part I had problem with is that they made injuries/scary situations an important part of the journey (and that, I liked), but Lara seems to shrug off things in a very comic book way and doesn't seem to react to injuries, except for the first one when she gets impaled on a rusty nail (D:!) The overall progression seems very clunky... I normally like 'origin' stories, but this one is poorly done.

If you want a good female protagonist, go and enjoy Beyond Good & Evil. Jade kicks ass

ReptilePZ said:
Why would you play Tomb Raider then? While it's an origin story and they're trying to make the characters a bit more believable, it's still Tomb Raider at heart and Lara's still going to end up being an untouchable badass even if they try to make the setting and her rise to badassery a bit darker (think Batman Begins).

Games are not only about story. I really liked gameplay in TR and I consider it a good game.

They promoted game like they aimed for more realistic story and characters. At beginning it was true, then they turned into superhero game. That's why I'm disappointed - if they would aim for old Lara from beginning then it would make better impression on me because I would know what to expect from beginning. But I would say that they made her even more 'hardcore' than old Lara was. Because they didn't showed old Lara shrugging off serious injuries.

You can make character "badass" and at the same time make them realistic. I prefer them that way. I know that some people may find new Lara interesting and like her. It's just not my cup of tea.

Aver said:
Games are not only about story. I really liked gameplay in TR and I consider it a good game.

They promoted game like they aimed for more realistic story and characters. At beginning it was true, then they turned into superhero game. That's why I'm disappointed - if they would aim for old Lara from beginning then it would make better impression on me because I would know what to expect from beginning.

You can make character "badass" and at the same time make them realistic. I prefer them that way. I know that some people may find new Lara interesting and like her. It's just not my cup of tea.
I know what you mean. What I'm saying is, it is a Tomb Raider game so it was inevitable that Lara would become the hero from the previous games.

Dona said:
As Aver said, the beginning is fine - it is very clear from the first scene that the setting is very gritty and dangerous, and Lara is scared but finds the strength to move on. The part I had problem with is that they made injuries/scary situations an important part of the journey (and that, I liked), but Lara seems to shrug off things in a very comic book way and doesn't seem to react to injuries, except for the first one when she gets impaled on a rusty nail (D:!) The overall progression seems very clunky... I normally like 'origin' stories, but this one is poorly done.

Well that's the mindset you need to have when playing such games, no? I mean Lara Croft was always this action super hero. In Arkham Asylum and City, Batman goes through a lot of shit, but he still shrugs it off. Because he's goddamn Batman! heck, even in Dark Knight Rises, the horrible back injury he sustained was only used to showcase his inner doubts and weaknesses, not so much physical pain perse.

I don't think you can criticize a Batman game for doing this (because again, it's goddamn Batman), and neither can you a Tomb Raider game I think.

I mean yea it would have been better if every injury really felt like an injury (though I can't think of a game I played that really does that), but it's ultimately Tomb Raider game.

If you want a good female protagonist, go and enjoy Beyond Good & Evil. Jade kicks ass

Aver said:

They promoted game like they aimed for more realistic story and characters. At beginning it was true, then they turned into superhero game. That's why I'm disappointed - if they would aim for old Lara from beginning then it would make better impression on me because I would know what to expect from beginning.

My feelings exactly, you just said it better.

The only difference is that I did not enjoy the gameplay at all, so there was nothing to keep me going. Her 'growth' was very unrealistic and seemed forced. It shouldn't have been.

@Knight
I know what you mean, it just isn't done well. It's hard to explain. I love the classic Lara, even the lil' psychotic moments she's had, but the 'in between' is baaaad. I might enjoy the next one... if they cut down the QTEs and not force a god damn bow on me.

You never heard of BG&E?! Nooooooooo! Yes, it's on GoG, go get it!

Beyond Good and Evil has one of the best female protagonists in video games - she's not even sexualised. *shock and horror*

ReptilePZ said:
I know what you mean. What I'm saying is, it is a Tomb Raider game so it was inevitable that Lara would become the hero from the previous games.

It wasn't inevitable. It is reboot after all. They could have changed her a little bit. After all they changed gameplay quite heavily.

Dona said:
@Knight
I know what you mean, it just isn't done well. It's hard to explain. I love the classic Lara, even the lil' psychotic moments she's had, but the 'in between' is baaaad. I might enjoy the next one... if they cut down the QTEs and not force a god damn bow on me.

You never heard of BG&E?! Nooooooooo! Yes, it's on GoG, go get it!

I love bows!!

I think I'll get TB when it cheapens. I am not expecting stellar writing, but from what I see it does look enjoyable and Lara Croft does seem like an entertaining protagonist.
But yes I hope future games explore her more.

And thanks for the link! I don't think I have much time these days, but in summer I'll most likely play it.

Aver said:
It wasn't inevitable. It is reboot after all. They could have changed her a little bit. After all they changed gameplay quite heavily.
Batman begins was a reboot - sure, it was grittier and more "realistic", but it was still Batman. You have to keep the core of the character, even in a reboot. And Lara's core is, well, a sexy badass.

ReptilePZ said:
Batman begins was a reboot - sure, it was grittier and more "realistic", but it was still Batman. You have to keep the core of the character, even in a reboot. And Lara's core is, well, a sexy badass.

Yea I agree.

I see where Aver is coming from though and the type of character he wanted to see is in general something I prefer over the superhero types who sometimes seem invulnerable (and I'd be more tempted to put Geralt in that category than the former).

But my preferences aside, I would not criticize a Tomb Raider game for staying true to the original "spirit" of the series. Anymore than I would Batman or James Bond, both of whom are favorites of mine.

I am current trying Banner Saga, the matchs are kind of fun it is like chess but with Viking pices LOL I am still finishing Planescape: Torment and Arcanum, yay for gog.
About TR the only thing that piss me off was some characters getting kidnapped more then one time, it was stupid as a plot mechanic, the plot twist has really weak too, the rest was ok and I did love the animations and gameplay, hard is the way.

Aver said:
I'm weak. I just ordered Simcity even tho it has this infamous always online DRM. I did it because:
a) It looks like really good game.
:cool: I really wanted to play casual "virtual playground" game for a long time.
c) My friends reported that game is now stable and there are no queues anymore.

So yeah, I'm supporting the devil.

Get off my internet.

Aver said:
I'm weak. I just ordered Simcity even tho it has this infamous always online DRM. I did it because:
a) It looks like really good game.
:cool: I really wanted to play casual "virtual playground" game for a long time.
c) My friends reported that game is now stable and there are no queues anymore.

So yeah, I'm supporting the devil.

After you kill your first guy Lara already becomes a cold blooded murderer killing three dudes right after no sweat. It feels like an aracade game when you 'have to' kill all these dudes if you avoid 'em that'd be better.

If you're going to make a believable cool part why not make the whole story like that? It doesn't make sense she can kill a hundred people in a day. It would've been believable if there were time skips and she was gradually okay with killing and it could be explained through her journal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom