Playing other games

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
guipit said:
After you kill your first guy Lara already becomes a cold blooded murderer killing three dudes right after no sweat. It feels like an aracade game when you 'have to' kill all these dudes if you avoid 'em that'd be better.

If you're going to make a believable cool part why not make the whole story like that? It doesn't make sense she can kill a hundred people in a day. It would've been believable if there were time skips and she was gradually okay with killing and it could be explained through her journal.

Don't let pesky things like internal consistency get in your way.
It's a fun game despite the flaws. Upgrade melee and your climbing axe becomes a handy weapon that she swings like Barry Bonds.

guipit said:
If you're going to make a believable cool part why not make the whole story like that? It doesn't make sense she can kill a hundred people in a day. It would've been believable if there were time skips and she was gradually okay with killing and it could be explained through her journal.

It is a lost opportunity if they didn't do it.
And many women are questioning, and are even offended by, the idea of strength through abuse. I hope future games explore mental scaring.

Batman and James Bond suffer from that problem as well depending on portrayal. A lot of things they are in show them to be perfect badasses. The good incarnations of them however show them for what they are: broken.

I do hope future TR could explore that, while still showing Lara to be the epic badass action hero that she is.

So playing HoS...not as bad as one might think.

The derp is there though. Not as prevalent as I expected but still there.

Now excuse me I'm off to butcher billions of people for revenge.

Well, I decided to get the new Tomb Raider game. Like KoP, I enjoy comic book heroes like Batman, and don't really mind Lara becoming overpowered within a few hours. Everything else looks amazing, from gameplay, graphics, sound, voice acting, to pacing. As a fan of Indiana Jones and Uncharted, I feel this game needs to be given a chance.

Besides, it has been a while since I played as a good female protagonist.

KnightofPhoenix said:
lost opportunity

perfect word to summarize new TR. It has better Uncharted but it could've been more. There were some good unique moments like those wolves in the bushes and going into that wolf cave. The puzzles aren't insulting and actually require some pause to figure out.

As for the story
I kinda wanted Sam to kill herself after that bullshit spirit entered her body just so she wouldn't become another damsel in distress. Commit Seppuku like the old way! Lara could've said some shit like "she conquered Himiko's evil with her good spirit" or some shit like that.

KnightofPhoenix said:
A TR/Uncharted fan friend described it as "better than Uncharted" so there you go :D/>/>

Uncharted had more diverse locations and some characters were more interesting like Chloe and Sully. We should have got something like Nathans notebook, I really liked that thing.

TR is not bad game. Definitely too easy if you are playing with mouse and keyboard, it's really hard not to kill everyone with one bullet to the face. It was designed over idea that you can't aim for shit. If uncharted is worse than it's probably rather weak game, and i thought it was one of the precious flagship console exclusive.

Played a bit at a friends last night, we got through 18%, and while it was fun, and seems to have a tight story, it didn't feel particularly Tomb-Raider-ish to me.

KnightofPhoenix said:
Well that's the mindset you need to have when playing such games, no? I mean Lara Croft was always this action super hero. In Arkham Asylum and City, Batman goes through a lot of shit, but he still shrugs it off. Because he's goddamn Batman! heck, even in Dark Knight Rises, the horrible back injury he sustained was only used to showcase his inner doubts and weaknesses, not so much physical pain perse.

It's nice that you mentioned new Batman Movies, because I loved them and if they would make Lara like that it would be great. New Bataman, even tho he is super hero, feels real, like character made out of flesh and bones. He has his doubts, weaknesses and limitations. Lara doesn't have them. Well, she has them for first 2-3h of the game - she is great in those parts of the game. Then she stop showing any weakness at all - physically nor mentally. This in addition to fear that she causes in her enemies that contrast with her new teenage-alike design, makes it feels like pandering to player ego. I want characters that are overcoming their weaknesses, not characters that doesn't have weaknesses.

But it's hard to discuss with someone who didn't even play the game, so let's return to the topic after you play it.

Aver said:
But it's hard to discuss with someone who didn't even play the game, so let's return to the topic after you play it.

Might take a while though

But yes you're right, apologies if I sounded presumptuous. It's just me debating with myself out loud whether I should get it or not.

I do want Tomb Raider it looks fun. I'm playing the new Mass Effect content now however. Its going to be strange to see new games in that universe without Commander Shepard.

Alright gotten somewhat into Heart of the Swarm here's my conclusions so far.

Overall story is Kerrigan wanting to get revenge but since she has lost control over the Zerg she is working to gain control back to wipe out Korhal. She wants to march on the planet and kill Mengsk. Nothing more at this stage.

Gameplay is fun and challenging so far.

Kerrigan is written very very poorly. On one hand she orderss her zerg to kill everyone and show no mercy while shouting this herself in combat ( you control her in-game ) but she expresses regret for the mass murdering she's done?

FUCK OFF METZEN. You can't do both a regretful killer and a merciless brutal murderer with the same character!

But is she still a sexy redhead?

I enjoyed the last one, and I played original at launch, no doubt I'll play this one too... though it has taken too long for it to release, my understanding of this whole 1 race / game change was that they would release the other two fast on the heels of the first.

edit: btw, I think she always was a little melodramatic, or at least thats a common theme under Blizzz...

See? Takes so long for this franchise they can't even remember the character designs

Yeh, i'm a bit underwhelmed..... what 3 years since sc2? ridiculous, for what is essentially an addon.

I wouldn't complain about to be honest. They spent a lot of time tweaking multiplayer and such, too much I think

That said they do give you 27 missions.

CostinMoroianu said:
I wouldn't complain about to be honest. They spent a lot of time tweaking multiplayer and such, too much I think

This is where their money is. They basically earns their money on MP players and E-sports. Minority buys this game just for SP.

The three races were a hallmark of Starcraft (and Blizz games in general, well... there were 2 races in WC1&2, then 3 in WC3). Giving you only 1 in SC2 did some damage to the paradigm, at least it was a retrograde step, and the only obvious reason for this was maximising profit. Not necessarily a bad thing in itself, but I can't see any *good* reason why part 2 has taken 3 years. 27 missions & a few tweaks doesn't cut it.

Starcraft 1 must have had 45-60 missions, with its 2 expansions released within the same year. Full story... all told.

I'm not complaining, Its just difficult to feel any enthusiasm for something so lacking in forward momentum

Likewise not holding my breath for HL2ep3.

Starcraft 1 must have had 45-60 missions, with its 2 expansions released within the same year. Full story... all told.

Eh no it didn't, SC1 had 30 in total in terms of campaign missions while Brood War had 24 and what 2 expansions are you talking about? There was only 1 really.

Meanwhile SC2 Wings of Liberty had 29 and Heart of the Swarm has 27. So overall SC2 has more so far without counting Legacy which will have 25 at least.

Also the missions in SC2 are much more interesting the original Brood War.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom