Playing other games

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
gregski said:
Yeah, because you know, you can come up with something totally unpredictable and creative when you're dealing with fantasy setting.

Well you can, you just have to step out from Germanic/Norse focused (design and mythology) comfort zone. You can reach for Hungarian, Baltic, Slavic, Cossacks, Arabic mythology, and character/world design. It's that simple.

On the other hand, not every game suffer from being 'generic'. If it's not character, story based RPG, it's not a big deal.

cmdrsilverbolt said:
Lol, c'mon- it's one snapshot of an entire game. You could take snapshots of TW2 from some POVs, and they would look generic too. You also think this because the medieval fantasy RPG genre is saturated like crazy, but I feel like it's mostly saturated with BS, so I wouldn't mind another game making an effort within this genre.

TW2 has a great art style there's always something special about it. It's convincing to say the least. LoTF has some cartoony character design.

just look at that guy he's just full of spikes(in places we've already seen) which hurr durr means he's evil. We've all seen that bad guy many many times though I like that flame effect.

also the hero guy has a large pauldrons and sword. I hate seeing this unconvincing exaggerated cartoony art style. It's for kids.

this is a more creative spiky guy.

cmdrsilverbolt said:
Yeah, because you know, you can come up with something totally unpredictable and creative when you're dealing with fantasy setting.

Yes the Dark Souls inspired gameplay and C&C is good and yeah I like that second picture.

but yeah that flaming spikey dude is just really uncreative, even FF designs look a lot better compared to that. The way the artist painted it is nice though.

M4xw0lf said:
I recently bought Divine Divinity from the evil overlord of classic games (aka GoG).
It took me some time to get used to the game mechanics and the final part of the game was a bit boring and repetitious, but overall it was very entertaining.

That's not good to hear, I wanted to give it a go. Well, I am playing Div II right now, and I'll admit that it can be repetitious as well.

And call me crazy, but I still don't think it's a good idea to call the art direction of a game generic based on a couple of snapshots. But whatever, it's your party *shrug* I like this game already because it mentioned something about tough combat and CHAOS and player-driven impact on plot. Like I said, this genre is already filled to the brim with many similar-looking titles, but they seldom have any character or quality. So, I guess I am preemptively pleased, but it sounds groovy to me ^^

@ guipit: Also the thing is that if you play a lot of these types of games, eventually they all look the same. Personally, I've only played Skyrim, DS, TW, and Div II, and probably something else I can't remember, which are like the medieval fantasy RPG type. So, there's that. But I see your point.

cmdrsilverbolt said:
That's not good to hear, I wanted to give it a go. Well, I am playing Div II right now, and I'll admit that it can be repetitious as well.
Oh I think you should - for only 6$ it's worth a try. :)

Cool, Max, I will.

Here's a fun way to kill some time http://designtaxi.com/news/356533/The-Great-Gatsby-Recreated-As-An-8-Bit-Game/

The novel Great Gatsby as a game :D/> It's all just superficial silliness, but I thought it was a novel (haha) idea.

Dona said:
Hey, remember that time Remedy developed Alan Wake for PC, but Microsoft demanded they drop it a couple of months before the release and make it an Xbox exclusive, their excuse being it's meant to be played from the couch? Oooh, good times.

I actually didn't know that! This makes me feel better, and not just like I'm playing an Xbox game on the computer :p

Dona said:
oop, sorry for a bitter-sounding post, I promise I'm not. Nothing much going on my end, I'm a bit bored of gaming :(

That happens. Make good use of your newly found free time and draw some concept art or go on walks outside :)

Or, play some classic adventure games while sipping on hot tea. That might work too!

Saoe said:
Anyone knows some deals for Borderlands 2 and season pass/dlc's? :)/>

Yeah, you missed a lot of deals for BL2, but it's been going on sale like crazy lately, so you're better off waiting.

You can use cheapshark or something to send you an email when the game will reach your desired price point.

I suspect they'll pack all DLC and content in one GOTY edition during after summer like the previous one. No hurry I'll just wait for that.

SD is really fun- it has great action elements, enjoyable story, and it mixes it up with the main story missions so you're not always doing the same stuff. I enjoyed the mini-games like the fights, the statue collection, and racing. Overall, it's an enjoyable game to play, and if you like action TPS games, you'll enjoy it.

One bit of advice- don't rush to finish the Triad missions. It's better to do the cop storyline first because the end of the Triad missions add some finality to the game, so it's hard to get back into it because you feel like you've "ended it".

Also, there are certain combos of items which give you bonuses when you wear them together, so that helps with fighting and shopping.

cmdrsilverbolt said:
SD is really fun- it has great action elements, enjoyable story, and it mixes it up with the main story missions so you're not always doing the same stuff. I enjoyed the mini-games like the fights, the statue collection, and racing. Overall, it's an enjoyable game to play, and if you like action TPS games, you'll enjoy it.

One bit of advice- don't rush to finish the Triad missions. It's better to do the cop storyline first because the end of the Triad missions add some finality to the game, so it's hard to get back into it because you feel like you've "ended it".

Also, there are certain combos of items which give you bonuses when you wear them together, so that helps with fighting and shopping.

ohk thnx for the suggestion

RSIK4 said:
how's the sleeping dogs review.....i want to play that game too

Very solid open world game. Runs good on mid range PC's. My only real complaints was the ending...not terrible, just not as I'd like. And the driving is a bit too arcad-ish. I recomend it.

slimgrin said:
Very solid open world game. Runs good on mid range PC's. My only real complaints was the ending...not terrible, just not as I'd like. And the driving is a bit too arcad-ish. I recomend it.

thnx for the info...going to buy now sd

Arcanum is cool, I've enjoyed what little I've played of it.

Also, guys, the SR4 box art is pretty awesome. SR3 was weak as a TPS, so I am hoping for a revamp in that aspect.

Only 2 days playing Arcanum I am locked as I was with Fallout 15 years ago! /> What a delicious discovery!!/>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom