Playing other games

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Csszr said:
Well the great thing about their games is you create your own goals. My first real game I had De Jure: Poland, Lithuania, Pomerania, Finland, Hungary, Sweden, Norway, Ruthenia, The Papacy, The Penchenegs, and parts of Rus' under the banner of the Wendish Empire. At one point I had England until they started getting discontent with me. My two biggest rivals were Cumania who I paid tribute to through three Emperors until Karol I 'The Great' had enough.

The other was HRE who viewed me as a as a friend but they to me as a threat. I installed my bloodline into their nobility. My then current son was voted Emperor and I had him assassinated. I inherited it, created the de jure royal titles, gave them off to the Germans and Italians. And that's how I dismantled my rival.

But that was just one game where I wanted to see how big I could grow my Empire.

So yes it is very easy to immerse yourself/roleplay in that wonderful game. :)

Hehe, my very first game lastet about 100 hours. I started as the count of Nuremberg with the aim that my dynasty should one day be Emperor of the HRE. I became duke of Bavaria after some forged claims, strategic marriages and assassinations.

After that I pressed the emperor to accept me as successor, which sparked a civil war that I won. So I became Emperor and conquered the Kingdoms of Italy, Hungary and Jerusalem through crusades. After that I made the mistake of creating various other kingdoms on the territory of the HRE and giving away the titles to family members and allies.
You should never have a vassal which alone can raise 20% of your levy! Very soon I had a civil war on my hand, which I lost and ended up with a fractured HRE with the independent kingdoms of Lotharingia and Italy. Ah, it's simply a great game, where even "losing" (if you can call it that) is a lot of fun! :)

Yep, sounds about like that match I just posted. Roughly 100 hours, give or take.

One of my trial games, I started as Duke of Apuila, later King of Sicily. Ended badly because I didn't realise you could buy courtiers. xD

Csszr said:
Yep, sounds about like that match I just posted. Roughly 100 hours, give or take.

One of my trial games, I started as Duke of Apuila, later King of Sicily. Ended badly because I didn't realise you could buy courtiers. xD

Oh, my. Thanks for all of the info. I know where I'll be going when I get stuck :)

Got a tablet these past holidays and I've been trying out some Android games. You'd be surprised at how well some of them play.

For starters, I played Spelltower and Spider: Manor of [something]. Spelltower is an excellent word forming puzzle game that requires a lot of thinking and in some modes, quick fingers. Spider is a very fun arcade/action game where we explore an abandoned mansion as a spider, hunting insects, spinning webs, and uncovering the story of the manor. Very fun and addictive.

Then I tried Kingdom Rush, a tower defense game that I believe is also on the computer. Very engaging and entertaining, allows for variable tactics/approaches and seems replayable.

I also got Frozen Synapse and Shadowrun Returns. Frozen Synapse is a deeply tactical game about infiltration/defense that plays by assigning routes and actions to our team members anticipating what the opposite team might do. It's not a traditional turn based system. Visually it's simplistic but slick.

Shadowrun Returns is a fun semi serious cRPG with the airs of a full fledged classic that falls just a little bit short. Character creation is fine, skill progression is good, dialogue options are prefiltered according to the style/personality you choose as well as skills and talents, and combat is good ol' turn-based. The issues: very limited reactivity (only a handful of objects and people to interact with in each area), seems relatively straightforward (no branching storyline it seems) and the worst of all: no manual saves, just autosave occurring sporadically when you enter a new area. This one is tough on a mobile device. Overall, a great if somewhat limited true cRPG for tablets. It's also fun to see this cyberpunk rendition of familiar places.

I'm looking forward to trying the desktop version once the Berlin expansion comes out.

Edit- I'm playing the first Duke Nukem. It's actually pretty damn good, far better than many of the NES platformers I've recently played on my emulator. Level design, shooting shit and finding secrets, that's my kind of platformer.

Don't need these newfangled games anyway...

Rehost that, Slim, it's just showing a "no hotlinking allowed" image. :c

+ that's exactly how I feel with my busted graphics card and outdated hardware, haha. At least it forces me to catch up with awesome oldies...

dragonbird said:
Oh, my. Thanks for all of the info. I know where I'll be going when I get stuck :)/>/>

My pleasure. I'm not going to claim ultimate mastery over the game but I'll gladly help you out. :)/>

Once you get those basics down I think you'll do just fine.

Two more tidbits of advice I'd like to give:

-Unless you're current player character is a dumbass have your heir educated by you.

-Your other children, mainly younger ones(since something could happen to your main heir), have them educated by your nobility who has lesser stats. That will make them happy giving you a +20 like towards your ruler.

Dona said:
Rehost that, Slim, it's just showing a "no hotlinking allowed" image. :c

+ that's exactly how I feel with my busted graphics card and outdated hardware, haha. At least it forces me to catch up with awesome oldies...

Really? I see the image just fine. If you want I'll delete them.

I see one saying NO HOTLINK and that modern Doctor Roo in the rain.

Just finished Expeditions: Conquistador, fuck me that was good. Choice, consequence, guile and force and a great band of men and women under my command. Forged a wobbly alliance with the natives that I doubt will hold and kind of satisfied the King of Spain. Thanks for the recommendation Volsung.

Can't believe they made this on a budget of eighty grand, these dudes are fucking superstars.

slimgrin said:
Really? I see the image just fine. If you want I'll delete them.
You can see it because it's already in your browser cache, but people who load it through hotlink for the first time get the "no hotlinking" message. IMO it's an outdated mechanism, but websites still use it, nothing anyone can do about it. :/ You can just rehost on imgur or as an attachment here and it'll be fine.

And ohhh, secrets! Does anyone really do the true, hidden, hard-to-find secrets anymore anyway...? I loved those.

Dona said:
You can see it because it's already in your browser cache, but people who load it through hotlink for the first time get the "no hotlinking" message. IMO it's an outdated mechanism, but websites still use it, nothing anyone can do about it. :/ You can just rehost on imgur or as an attachment here and it'll be fine.

And ohhh, secrets! Does anyone really do the true, hidden, hard-to-find secrets anymore anyway...? I loved those.

Arkham games, Dishonored, Hard Reset and Shadow Warrior all have hard to find secrets that affect your XP score. With the latter two, it'd be almost impossible on harder settings without finding the secrets.

Dona said:

Dark Souls, there were entire levels behind these illusionary walls which were almost impossible to find if you didn't have a guide.

Exploration in Dishonored was my favourite part, beautifully done, but I wouldn't put it on par with old games (as much as it tried to become a classic, in more than one way).

I really regret not playing Dark Souls sooner. I'll definitely keep it in mind to play oooone day, those walls sound like a challenge. :D

Well, the past couple of months I played a number of games which I got on different sales. I don't think I went over $40.00 while getting them all. I guess I enjoyed some of them because of the little I paid for them. A couple of them, I would've been offended had they pay me to play them. So, a short recap of each.

Sleeping Dogs
Liked it. I thought the story was good, the combat and movement were good, although I thought it needed more firearms here and there, and the controls felt "consoley" (but the again, which game doesn't feel like that nowadays?) Has the same issue as AC where the player is surrounded by 10-20 people and they all attack one by one. May replay it sometime.

Max Payne 3
Really liked the narrative of the game. The bullet time got tiresome, and made the game very easy. This type of game I think needs saves, not checkpoints, I think. Hated the golden guns: I am playing a middle-aged drug addicted, alcoholic, regretful, hard on his luck dishonored cop from New Jersey, not an Angolan war lord. No replay value to me.

Mass Effect 3
I can see where fans of the game went ape when the game was first released. However, since I got it for $8.00, and was able to edit some files to bypass the multiplayer requirement to see the various endings and get 3rd person view (bit fisheyed, but oh well), I was entertained... I even played through a couple playthroughs, as male Sheppard (made him look like Randy Couture), as female Sheppard (made her MILFaliscious), bad ass Sheppard, paragon Sheppard... I do like the ME universe, so I'll keep an eye on the next ME.

Assassin's Creed 3
First game I think in which I wanted to kill my own character. I actually would start fights just to see my character get a beat down. HORRIBLE story, badly executed. Voice acting left a lot to be desired. It is the same freaking game as AC1, but AC1 had Knights Templar, and I am a sucker for Knights Templar.

Alan Wake
WTF is this crap? 2nd game I think in which I wanted to kill my own character. I guess that was supposed to be a sort of suspense/horror game. The horror was that I paid money for it. I want my $2.99 back.

Tomb Raider
I enjoyed this game more than I thought I would. First Tomb Raider game I ever played. Suffers for consolitis as well with the QTEs and stuff, but I found it entertaining nonetheless. I thought it had good animations, especially the running animation, which has the character stumbling and looking around, rather than the uniform running animation you see in games. Will play again sometime in the future.

Deus Ex: HR
The devs really tried to make this one look and feel like the original DE, with a touch of Blade Runner, and thought they did a good job of it. Still trying to figure out where does Jensen keep his coat.. would've preferred a 3rd person experience... but other than that, overall, good game which I felt honored the original.

Waiting to see what Thief brings.. Big fan of the original series since its inception

For the viewing pleasure of all Dark Souls fans, I found these videos on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SunlightMaggot/videos

This guy makes very esthetically pleasing compilations, it is as much pleasure to watch as it is to play.

SystemShock7 said:
Deus Ex: HR
The devs really tried to make this one look and feel like the original DE, with a touch of Blade Runner, and thought they did a good job of it. Still trying to figure out where does Jensen keep his coat.. would've preferred a 3rd person experience... but other than that, overall, good game which I felt honored the original.

Honoured original? I don't think so. IMHO, it doesn't hold the candle to the original. Funnily enough, I missed DeusEx when it was released and played it for the first time just a year before DX:HR was released. Initially I had to overcome the disgust with outdated graphics but then it felt like one of the best games ever, which it is. The plot was unpredictable (for me at least) and highly entertaining, which I cannot tell about DX:HR, which does feel too cliche to many other games and plots. In DX:HR there were no plot twists to write home about. DX:HR failed to deliver proper cyberpunk/conspiracy feel and was too sterilized for cyberpunk/conspiracy style. DX:HR also features the bullshit style "press one of the 4 buttons for different endings" feature. Overall, DX:HR felt like a pseudo-DeusEx game. The positive thing about DX:HR was that it had very few bugs I ran into, I must give them props for quality.

Since we're talking about DX:HR, I'll just say it's better than I expected. Never played any other DX games before, but I thought it was fun. Granted, I thought it to be a moronic shooter with a cyberpunk theme, so I was positively surprised and entertained despite the cheesy plot, the awkward and sometimes improper use of pseudo-scientific references, the overdone raspy voice, and the completely detached hacking mini game (which was actually fun, for what it was). So I think as an action/adventure game, DX:HR is above average and fun. That said, the average right now is kind of low.

About Alan Wake, yes, it was kind of disappointing. But it was never meant to be visceral or disturbing horror. More like a mysterious, engaging detective thriller, which it kind of is if you give it a try. They said it was like Twin Peaks, and it was! Combat is very dull though.

Right now I'm wrapping up my XCOM: EU playthrough and trying to finish a King's Bounty: The Legend playthrough (not a fan of the battle system). I'm eagerly awaiting Wasteland 2!

The Banners Saga looks awesome thinking about buying it.

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/the-banner-saga-review/1900-6415626/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom