Playing the Enhanced Edition without Discs

+
Playing the Enhanced Edition without Discs

I have the CD-ROM version of the Enhanced Edition of the Witcher.

When I run without the disc, it fails, but if I click RETRY it will suddenly load and run.

However, I'm not sure if this is the proper way to run the game, or if it will cause crashes later on.

Can I play without the disc this way?

Is there another way to play without the discs?

Last edited:
If you can play without issues after clicking 'retry', I suppose it should work.
DonkeyKongJr;n7811620 said:
Is there another way to play without the discs?
If you still have the user manual, I believe there is a CD key/Product key somewhere on it. If so, you can use it to get a free digital backup on GOG.com. After Downloading it, you can play without he discs. If that method doesn't work, you can also try the one here: http://thewitcher.com/en/backup

I do not see a CD key or Product Key anywhere. I just have a CD-ROM box and a disc. There is a PDF Manual but I don't see any product key there either.

The second website you provided, is that a pirate website? I don't pirate software, and I don't know how they would authenticate whether your copy is real.

I've heard the patches maybe help you play without a disc, so I will try that also.

DonkeyKongJr;n7812130 said:
The second website you provided, is that a pirate website? I don't pirate software, and I don't know how they would authenticate whether your copy is real.
We're delighted you don't pirate! Piracy is, in fact, absolutely against the rules here on CDPR's Forums. The linked website is an official backup application provided directly by the studio. Based on the information you supply, they will verify your copy, and send you a code.
DonkeyKongJr;n7812130 said:
I've heard the patches maybe help you play without a disc, so I will try that also.
You could indeed try that beforehand. What version do you currently have? The manual download for the patches can be found here: http://en.cdprojektred.com/download/...ct=the-witcher

And the instructions for manual patching: http://en.cdprojektred.com/support/e...edition-patch/

Last edited:
I just installed the game without the patch and it ran without the disc straight away.

That didn't happen last time I installed it from the disc.

Very strange! I guess the problem may have fixed itself.

Any explanation?

Also, I'm about to patch it, do I need the 1.4 patch or the 1.5 patch, or both?

It seems I have version 1.4.5.1304.

Will I need the language patch for either update?

Last edited:
DonkeyKongJr;n7813420 said:
Will I need the language patch for either update?
Sorry for the delay. Yes, it looks as though you will. If you have 1.4.5.1304, you can proceed to 1.5

You can still contact GOG support, and they might help you to get the GOG copy. May be show them the photo of the disk and etc. If not, TW1 often can go on sales, and can cost something like $2 or even less. You can just buy it.

Well as I said, it seems to be running without the disc right now. I'm hoping it won't ask for the disc later.

Tried to patch to the 1.5 version and got a "Cannot identify the installed version. Unable to patch".

What is wrong?

Does the patch have to be in a certain directory when you run it? I put it in the main folder.

Without giving spoilers, can you tell me if the 1.5 patch is even necessary, or can I do without it?

Last edited:
DonkeyKongJr;n7848040 said:
Without giving spoilers, can you tell me if the 1.5 patch is even necessary, or can I do without it?
I had to check on this: It looks like the main purpose of the 1.50 patch was to remove the DRM, which the older version of the game had, that required that the discs be inserted to play. (It also resolved some EAX technology issues, and added a few community-made side adventures, which are not part of the main game.) However, if it's currently running without the discs, I think you can probably proceed without troubling further with the patches.

Top Bottom