Playstation 4 Framerate topic

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Playstation 4 Framerate topic

i have played around 30 to 40 hours i love the game but i cannot take it Any longer
I cant enjoy the game The frame rate
is bothering me way to much

the game becomes unplayable as soon as it starts to rain the framerate takes such a hard hit ( the weird thing is i hear xbox dont have this problem So just a bit lazy with the ps4 port?)
it's like going very close to a big fire
or wavering your torch around any type of effect on the ps4 hits the performance hard

Rain/Fog/Fire/ and big City's special at night since all the fire/lights gets turned on at night time it makes it unplayable.

patch 1,03 Did not fix anything it might have giving the game like a extra 0,10 Fps boost in gameplay and cutscenes
But we are in 2015 on the so called next gen consoles and this is not good enough !
you should at least have delayed the ps4 version until this was fixed how it was released like this is beyond me

Please everyone post your opinion of the ps4 framerate and let them hear us so it can be fixed

Oh and also give us a option to take off ( blur Motion blur effects) since i for one can get very sick from it, and just to point out that
it really makes the game look ugly.

Please i dont hate the game i really love the witcher series But the bad framerate Got to go!

Last edited:
Exploration through the Bog is still terrible. The fog, added with signs, and smoke and fire + rain = 15fps - 20fps. Other areas around the Bog, and just overall Velen itself, honestly, performs like shit. Other areas have seem to become smoother to explore, but combat is still bloody atrocious. Any encounter involving more than 2 enemies results in major framerate issues.

Example: Traversing around the Bog, all seems fine in the world of The Witcher. Suddenly Drowners! It's killin' tim- oh wait, WOAH! WOAH! HEY! WHAT HAPPENED?! Game just dropped to 20fps! THE HELL IS THIS?!

Combat instantly becomes aggravating, and near unplayable, if not entirely unplayable. Once combat ends the game goes back to being SOMEWHAT playable, stable.

Fire, smoke, fog, fire, rain, alpha effects in general, using signs! COMBAT?! All destroy the framerate. Completely annihilates it.

Exploration through the Bog is still terrible. The fog, added with signs, and smoke and fire + rain = 15fps - 20fps. Other areas around the Bog, and just overall Velen itself, honestly, performs like shit. Other areas have seem to become smoother to explore, but combat is still bloody atrocious. Any encounter involving more than 2 enemies results in major framerate issues.

Example: Traversing around the Bog, all seems fine in the world of The Witcher. Suddenly Drowners! It's killin' tim- oh wait, WOAH! WOAH! HEY! WHAT HAPPENED?! Game just dropped to 20fps! THE HELL IS THIS?!

Combat instantly becomes aggravating, and near unplayable, if not entirely unplayable. Once combat ends the game goes back to being SOMEWHAT playable, stable.

Fire, smoke, fog, fire, rain, alpha effects in general, using signs! COMBAT?! All destroy the framerate. Completely annihilates it.

I can only agree with you and my personal opinion is how can a dev team let that happend on the ps4 when i hear that its not half as bad on xbox ?
i feel like im getting spitted at here as a playstation consumer and we only get 30 fps witch is already low but making it drop to 25-20 is unacceptable
please fix it.

Only two things I can think of. Maybe three.

One: CDPR shouldn't have released the console version on the same day as PC, clearly needed more optimization, especially PS4.

Two: 8th Gen is a FAILURE and someone, a development team, needs to come out and be honest, and admit that PS4/XBONE are garbage.

Three: No matter what CDPR does, no matter the amount of patches, the frames will forever remain shit.

Solution? PC.

You know. I'd been feeling pretty ill from playing the game and I figured it was the FR. I never really noticed the motion blur I guess because the FR was taking up my attention being so janky. Maybe the MB played a part as well but I didn't consciously pick up on it.

The FOV doesn't help either and when you mix it all in with Witcher Vision and looting controls it can make for a pretty disorientating combination.

Even being the only thing in a cave and pulling out my torch causes the FR to tank.

I think as another poster mentioned it could have something to do with Physical vs DL copys, maybe?

From what I've seen people who bought disc have no issues, digital do.

It's a shame to release a game with FPS problem on console!
It's unbelievable. FPS on most places lower than 24 on hi-end (haha) console.

And most important that the game cannot be optimized without rewriting the huge of the code and this is unacceptable after release. Also CDPR has a lot of another problems (most important is fonts and problem with corrupting savegames).

I want to say, that FPS problem will be here forever, don't hope for a miracle.
If it was possible developers made optimizations (refactoring the engine, etc.) before.
I know what I'm writing, I'm developer.

Just take it as it is. Any way the game is fantastic!

It's a shame to release a game with FPS problem on console!
It's unbelievable. FPS on most places lower than 24 on hi-end (haha) console.

And most important that the game cannot be optimized without rewriting the huge of the code and this is unacceptable after release. Also CDPR has a lot of another problems (most important is fonts and problem with corrupting savegames).

I want to say, that FPS problem will be here forever, don't hope for a miracle.
If it was possible developers made optimizations (refactoring the engine, etc.) before.
I know what I'm writing, I'm developer.

Just take it as it is. Any way the game is fantastic!

Yeah, then maybe it would be wise not to make such statements... http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/05...imization-our-coders-are-true-voodoo-shamans/

The framerate needs to be really addressed soon enough.

I am on PS4 and in quite a few areas/conditions the framerate is AC:Unity quality like... Bogs that have fog make the framerate go at around 20ish or something. And that is without rain... if it rains (and in bog areas it rains quite often) then the framerate goes somewhere around 15-20 fps! Needless to say this is way too bad.

But it is not just bogs that have issues, all around the framerate is very erratic in most combat cases and when it rains the things get even worse.

It is very disappointing, actually its the reason I put the game on hold because I just dont want to experience it in that state. I remember specifically CDP mentioning that we shouldnt be worried about framerate performance with consoles. You guys were pretty firm and reassuring on that front, and yet the end result barely resembles your promise.

I was waiting for patch 1.03 hoping that the "improved performance on cutscenes and gameplay" would actually make a difference. So I put the game off till 1.03 released, then I checked the game with 1.03 and it barely made any difference... so now the game is still on hold from me. Like I said, the performance completely ruins the experience for me. Combat is not enjoyable, navigating the world isnt enjoyable and couple with all that is the stutter issue to make things even worse.

I have very high respect for CDP and that is why knowing that the game has itchy performance I bought it to support the development team. Usually games that have poor performance like Unity for example get no support from me. In Witcher 3 I made an exception although its performance is in many cases similar to AC:Unity.

In other words I hope you can get this fixed as soon as possible. I dont mind big loading times, I dont care at all. I just need the performance to be solid, like W2 was for 360, like W3 seems to be for XB1 (if the framerate is locked).

Please guys try your best to fix it soon, not after 5 patches. It will be too late by then.[

Last edited:
You know. I'd been feeling pretty ill from playing the game and I figured it was the FR. I never really noticed the motion blur I guess because the FR was taking up my attention being so janky. Maybe the MB played a part as well but I didn't consciously pick up on it.

The FOV doesn't help either and when you mix it all in with Witcher Vision and looting controls it can make for a pretty disorientating combination.

Even being the only thing in a cave and pulling out my torch causes the FR to tank.

I think as another poster mentioned it could have something to do with Physical vs DL copys, maybe?

I can like say with 100% that it has nothing to do with digital or disk version because
witcher 3 runs alot better without those framestutters near Rain/fog/fire ( on xbox)

i think it has something to do with
CDPR are inexperince with the playstation platform since they never made a title there
so mabye that could be a reason why it runs as it runs on the ps4 because they already know how to make it for the xbox (witcher 2 xbox version)

but how they could release it in that condition is beyond me
i do not understand how a team can sit and feel, that the ps4 framerate is good enough to release.
they should have waited delayed the ps4 version
until it was fixed 100%

all i can say is i love the witcher series but first time buying a witcher game on console and im very letdown i feel like im in the freaking playstation 3 era again.
and that is not good enough.

Last edited:
I honestly feel like no matter how many patches they put out it will never run they it is supposed to. I mean if you really think about it. Only pc's are able to run it at its true potential. and those PC's are utilizing the best hardware available right now. The PS4's hardware isn't going to get any better which means that we are stuck with the only the game being optimized more and more as the months go on. Even if they release multiple patches I don't see it becoming that much better. Sure the frame rates will probably go up in the upcoming patches but I do not see it staying at a consistent full 30fps during combat and the changing weather reflects.The game just simply is NOT meant for consoles. Xbox One and PS4 do not have the horsepower to run the game at its full potential.
The devs even sai that without the console's financial support they would not have been able to create the game..which tells me that they concentrated more on the pc end of things to deliver the BEST possible game experience on the PC and then decided to worry about the console versions issues later.
Say what you want about the devs and how well they are making new patches and fixes for the consoles right now but seriously. they knew the issues that were going to be there when they released the consoles version. why would they be so quick to real ease the first patch then?!

I honestly feel like no matter how many patches they put out it will never run they it is supposed to. I mean if you really think about it. Only pc's are able to run it at its true potential. and those PC's are utilizing the best hardware available right now. The PS4's hardware isn't going to get any better which means that we are stuck with the only the game being optimized more and more as the months go on. Even if they release multiple patches I don't see it becoming that much better. Sure the frame rates will probably go up in the upcoming patches but I do not see it staying at a consistent full 30fps during combat and the changing weather reflects.The game just simply is NOT meant for consoles. Xbox One and PS4 do not have the horsepower to run the game at its full potential.
The devs even sai that without the console's financial support they would not have been able to create the game..which tells me that they concentrated more on the pc end of things to deliver the BEST possible game experience on the PC and then decided to worry about the console versions issues later.
Say what you want about the devs and how well they are making new patches and fixes for the consoles right now but seriously. they knew the issues that were going to be there when they released the consoles version. why would they be so quick to real ease the first patch then?!

Well with the xbox version they dont have that problem like us on ps4

with the crazy performance everytime there is a effect going on

and like i have said before i think it just comes down to,
they arent use to making games on playstation console

But like i have said and i will again They shouldent have release it in this state
it's their first playstation game ever and in my eyes Thats not a good message to give.

I agree that the frame rate is an issue on ps4. Early on I noticed that a slow rotation of the camera causes some hitching in the orbit of the scenery. That said, overall fps issues in White Orchard were minimal. But it gets worse once you arrive in Velen, esp. the Bog area and parts of Novigrad where the frames collapse at one or two choke points. I've been getting drops in combat and also during weather effects. It's kinda sad that we're still seeing games in 2015 struggling to maintain 30 fps. I really hope they can do something about it but it might not be feasible at this stage. Fingers crossed, and I hope the devs are at least reading these fps threads.

I agree that the frame rate is an issue on ps4. Early on I noticed that a slow rotation of the camera causes some hitching in the orbit of the scenery. That said, overall fps issues in White Orchard were minimal. But it gets worse once you arrive in Velen, esp. the Bog area and parts of Novigrad where the frames collapse at one or two choke points. I've been getting drops in combat and also during weather effects. It's kinda sad that we're still seeing games in 2015 struggling to maintain 30 fps. I really hope they can do something about it but it might not be feasible at this stage. Fingers crossed, and I hope the devs are at least reading these fps threads.

Agreed i hope so too im just worried i spyed on the devs twitter and they dont mention this at all :(

CD PROJECT RED What said present us with 16 DLCs, a beautiful booklet, soundtrack, instruction manual if the framerate is bad?

Not worth anything ..... please just fix before it's too late .....

the frame rate is horrible on PS4 and after the patch seems even worse both in gameplay and in cutscenes .. then when you fight with multiple enemies or allies at his side in a swamp in the rain becomes unplayable with the maximum .. (it rains almost always so do some of you) for a new patch you have to hurry or the game goes on the shelf until a new update

the frame rate is horrible on PS4 and after the patch seems even worse both in gameplay and in cutscenes .. then when you fight with multiple enemies or allies at his side in a swamp in the rain becomes unplayable with the maximum .. (it rains almost always so do some of you) for a new patch you have to hurry or the game goes on the shelf until a new update

Yeah im sad to say it but i actually did stop playing since i cant take the framerate anymore
so i hope they fix it really soon.

Try turning the right stick sensitivity all the way down in the options. I felt sick and got a headache almost immediately when I started playing. Turning down the sensitivity in the controls helped a lot.

I know we must get a fix for the framerate but i would like to talk about the issue with motion blur also

and it's kinda the same problem gta 5 had
but they did give them a patch, were they could choose for themself if they wanted to turn motion blur on or off

witch i believe would fit right in here with open arms since i notice in my 30 hours of gameplay that

the motion blur is so high if you turn the camara everything you see in the background turns into the blur ( the blur smallville referens XD )

and it did make me sick since i got a huge problem with motion sickness and just to top that off we got a really really bad framerate and that aint making my life any easier.

so my top list is kinda

(1- Fix framerate)
(2- motion blur option on/off)

and also this is my personal opinion but i always believe that with motion blur your frame rate gets worse at least thats how it is for my eyes
so the option to turn the blur off would mabye also help on the framerate.

The previous 2 Witchers show how dedicated the devs are to supporting their games long after release. Both games were released as an "Enhanced Edition" about a year or so later with considerable improvements to optimization and bug fixes all for free for anyone who ever purchased the original games.

Saying the game is simply "not meant" for the current gen of consoles is quite short-sighted. Obviously they wanted the game to look as good as possible on the consoles for their profit margins and bit off a little more than they could handle. All I know is my FPS averaged 25 to 35 on high settings (on my GeForce 560ti) with the Witcher 2 on release and a year later was a rock solid 50+ FPS with no discernible graphic detail reduction.

I have never seen any other game optimized that much over time..but these guys are not your average developers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom