Playstation 4 Framerate topic

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Still downloading the patch, but it's really, really sad that it doesn't seem to have helped with the FPS drops at all, according to some of you guys. Why can't we just get a 900p OPTION (not forcing it on anyone that doesn't want it or think that there isn't a FPS problem)? Is it hubris on CD Projekt Red's part that doesn't let we get this option, because of what would the gaming press and industry followers think of this decision? Sony doesn't force developers to make their games 1080p on a PS4, as Assassin's Creed Unity ran at 900p, so it must be the developer's choice. Hell, lots of games on consoles these days have already started letting us choose settings, like we would on a PC. Rocket League, for instance, lets you select V-sync on or off, inFamous Second Son and The Last of Us let you choose between fixed or variable framerate, etc.

This framerate debacle goes to show that we can't really trust every reviewer out there, something most should already know. The gaming press received PS4 early copies with a pre-installed patch 1.01 to review the game on their PS4 systems and you can count on one hand the number of reviewers who reported this FPS problem, which was MUCH worse at launch. To some of the reviewers, this game is a 10/10 masterpiece, but how can a masterpiece have all these gameplay problems, be it player movement related, quest bugs related, framerate related, etc etc etc?

I'm not saying this is a bad game by any means, but it's really disappointing that we have to face these issues, after paying for a finished product. It definitely put me off of the game, to the point I'll be skipping the Season Pass. Also, this will make me think twice about buying a new CD Projekt Red game for consoles in the future and stains the developer's name in my mind. As a Witcher 1 PC early supporter, Witcher 2 PC early supporter and Witcher 3 PS4 early supporter, I'm not even angry, just disappointed and sad.

After patch edit: Well, so I just got back from testing the patch myself. The FPS has noticeably got better, though the swamp area still shows the framerate dropping. The unstable FPS in that area is really jarring, going from a little above 30 to low 20s depending on where you're facing. Light sources still make the FPS drop, as does the presence of enemies. Foglets and the mist they spawn don't seem to have a huge effect since 1.0.5. Horse riding on swampy areas used to make the FPS drop like crazy, but it's less noticeable now. The effect of rainy weather on FPS seems to be smaller, but still there.

I hope this isn't the final performance patch. It's getting better with time and at this point, at least in my opinion, the game is playable, but I wish this manages to hit the steady 30 FPS the Xbox guys have access to. We're close to that, as far as I can see. A little more optimizing and we'll reach it without having to mess with the resolution or pretty graphics. If you're reading this, CD Projekt Red, consider adding more graphics options in the menu for us to tweak our experience. Be a force for good and add graphics options for us console players. Give the gaming industry another message by adding a full-fledged graphics options menu in Witcher 3, as you did with your DLC policy.

Last edited:
Patch installed. Did a little testing to see it for myself and to my surprise i get no framerate drops in the swamps. Not anything really noticeable anyway.

Now, the swamps weren't that bad before, at least in my experience it was really bad in Novigrad at night/fire effects and/or rain, so i've yet to test that.

So so far my experience has been satisfactory, Bear in mind i started a new game, didn't want to use any of my old save files.

oblivion came out at the beginning of the last generation of consoles, and it ran like garbage.

Statement seemed alittle harsh haha I disagree with Oblivion running like garbage on the PS3 when it came out. For bad Bethseda games, worst for me personally was Fallout 3, then Skyrim as far as day 1 launches go. Got F3 day one and the fps on it was so bad, it was the first game ever on my console that I stopped playing because of the constant lagging. Going into a fight and instantly dieing because the fps was so bad was gamebreaking. Took a long time for them to get that game up to speed. Dont even get me started on Skyrim. How that is even considered remotely successful for Sony users is mind blowing considering it played like crap for months and to top it off they didn't release expansions for what, a year or more after PC/Xbox offering us crappy excuse after crappy excuse as to why they couldn't give us "Dawn Guard" lol My only gripe with Oblivion was I played the hell out of it for a year or so (can't remember how long but it was long) before it even came to PS3, by the time I got it, I was already burnt out but I would argue it was the best Bethseda game to drop during the PS3 era personally. Ran good on launch for me and no issues with DLC's. Funny that people complain about Witcher 3 fps when I think of other highly praised games that were way worse in their infancy, only after years of tweaking becoming playable.

Just stunk that back in those days, we didn't have trophies for games like Resistance and Oblivion because I would of had platted them easily! haha. Ok sorry to go off track. Just had to comment on that statement because out of Skyrim, F3 and Oblivion, Oblivion was my favorite as far as the overall purchase/playability experience for me on the PS3. Just was so burnt out after 1000's of hours dumped into PC, wasn't as enjoyable for me at that time lol Good ol' days though. Too bad these new consoles are so pitiful and I have been a console guy since 1993 a Sony guy since 1997 and can say, the PS4 is a disappointment. (Never went Xbox so won't comment on it) Really sad that numbers mean more than quality anymore. Hope the next consoles go back to being competitive to PC's, even if it means they cost more. Until then I use both PC/PS4 haha! Just really hate gaming on PC.. \\_(X_X )_//

Statement seemed alittle harsh haha I disagree with Oblivion running like garbage on the PS3 when it came out. For bad Bethseda games, worst for me personally was Fallout 3, then Skyrim as far as day 1 launches go. Got F3 day one and the fps on it was so bad, it was the first game ever on my console that I stopped playing because of the constant lagging. Going into a fight and instantly dieing because the fps was so bad was gamebreaking. Took a long time for them to get that game up to speed. Dont even get me started on Skyrim. How that is even considered remotely successful for Sony users is mind blowing considering it played like crap for months and to top it off they didn't release expansions for what, a year or more after PC/Xbox offering us crappy excuse after crappy excuse as to why they couldn't give us "Dawn Guard" lol My only gripe with Oblivion was I played the hell out of it for a year or so (can't remember how long but it was long) before it even came to PS3, by the time I got it, I was already burnt out but I would argue it was the best Bethseda game to drop during the PS3 era personally. Ran good on launch for me and no issues with DLC's. Funny that people complain about Witcher 3 fps when I think of other highly praised games that were way worse in their infancy, only after years of tweaking becoming playable.

Just stunk that back in those days, we didn't have trophies for games like Resistance and Oblivion because I would of had platted them easily! haha. Ok sorry to go off track. Just had to comment on that statement because out of Skyrim, F3 and Oblivion, Oblivion was my favorite as far as the overall purchase/playability experience for me on the PS3. Just was so burnt out after 1000's of hours dumped into PC, wasn't as enjoyable for me at that time lol Good ol' days though. Too bad these new consoles are so pitiful and I have been a console guy since 1993 a Sony guy since 1997 and can say, the PS4 is a disappointment. (Never went Xbox so won't comment on it) Really sad that numbers mean more than quality anymore. Hope the next consoles go back to being competitive to PC's, even if it means they cost more. Until then I use both PC/PS4 haha! Just really hate gaming on PC.. \\_(X_X )_//

the bad framerate on oblivion is well-documented, but yes i played the hell out of that game and loved it.

much more expensive consoles would be something of a solution, yes.

fyi i was a console gamer exclusively until the last 3 or 4 years, and i tend to use gamepads even when i play on pc now, even when it might not be optimal. but more power and customization is just too good to pass up for me.

Last edited:
Luckily I didn't buy my ps4. Although I could have sold it when I won the thing. But when you had a console it used to mean you would pop something in to pay and it would work the way the devs intended. These next gen consoles are pure crap tho. They easily could have held off another 2-3 years before releasing new consoles as they were getting some damn good stuff out of last few years.

As for this game tho there are times Im playing and get into it and dont realize or don't care about performance. Other times I'm sitting there pissed it's chugging along or looks like crap.

I can't really tell if this patch helped. I honestly wasnt really expecting it to do much of anything. Only so much a patch can do.

I turned off the post processing. While it looks a tiny bit diff idk if it sped anything up.

With this new set of consoles and all these kids going on about framerates and resolutions and textures, which up until a few years ago only pc ppl dealt with, they should just put the graphic options in console games. Let you pick what settings you want on and what resolution. With a full menu of settings I could get it running to my preference on the ps4 hardware. At least to something I'd like better than it currently is.

the patch did not fix the performance issuse at all !!!

Curious how did you get the patch? Because it's not out in Denmark. That's why i'm asking.

---------- Updated at 10:37 AM ----------

the bad framerate on oblivion is well-documented, but yes i played the hell out of that game and loved it.

much more expensive consoles would be something of a solution, yes.

fyi i was a console gamer exclusively until the last 3 or 4 years, and i tend to use gamepads even when i play on pc now, even when it might not be optimal. but more power and customization is just too good to pass up for me.

Just so you know 7 people, yes 7, explained very detailed to Zero how a PS4 GPU works and operates. How it's very possible for a 7850 OC (PS4) to output 30 fps with witcher 3 if they actually bothered (see batman ak) but time after time he just ignores that.

In short PS4 should be able to run w3 at 30 fps with no problems

Well, not that i was expecting them to fix the FPS anytime soon - but so far i find it hilarious that we have to deal with blatant lies everytime ....

when the game got released ppl asked if the day one patch would fix the fps drops mentioned by the reviewers - Mr. Momot: yes- guess its safe to say that was a load of bullcrap.

now ppl asked if patch 1.07 would improve the fps - Mr. Momot: yes - sorry but thats some crap again...

its safe to assume that the ps4 has enough horsepower to run that game at least at 900p 30fps or maybe even 1080p 30fps - like the Xbox One at 900p (30fps most of the time)...
and it would be fair to your customers to just acknowledge - "ok we somehow arent able to utilize the performance of the PS4 - maybe because we arent experienced with the coding on the PS4 or insert any other reasonable excuse - lets maybe get some outside help" or whatever - but those lies wont let you get back the trust of your customers - it does the opposite...

I am going insane over here because although I never let the frame drops (such as they were) bother me I see a much better performance, I don't know what you are all talking about. The game was always playable to me and only time I noticed drops was if I was fighting monsters in the swamps while it was raining and even then I wasn't bothered by it. Also when fighting wraiths because of their FX.

So far with this patch the wraith problem has been solved near as I can tell and the swamps were running smooth as Triss's ass, though I didn't try it while at raining. Overall the performance has vastly improved despite me thinking it was pretty good before . Does this have something to do with me having the physical version of the game instead of the digital? I don't have any of the problems people mention in these forums.

The other changes are awesome as hell. The inventory changes, a book tab that tells you what you've read!! Halle-fucking-luja!! A stash! Geralt is much more responsive and he controls better than before ! All in all a very awesome patch.

You guys are nothing but a bunch of spoiled entitled idiots who want this $400 console to do what a $700+ PC can do and find fault and issues where there really are none . CD Projekt works their ass off to please you and all you do is complain and complain about non-issues. Have fun in these forums while I go enjoy this masterpiece!

I am going insane over here because although I never let the frame drops (such as they were) bother me I see a much better performance, I don't know what you are all talking about. The game was always playable to me and only time I noticed drops was if I was fighting monsters in the swamps while it was raining and even then I wasn't bothered by it. Also when fighting wraiths because of their FX.

So far with this patch the wraith problem has been solved near as I can tell and the swamps were running smooth as Triss's ass, though I didn't try it while at raining. Overall the performance has vastly improved despite me thinking it was pretty good before . Does this have something to do with me having the physical version of the game instead of the digital? I don't have any of the problems people mention in these forums.

The other changes are awesome as hell. The inventory changes, a book tab that tells you what you've read!! Halle-fucking-luja!! A stash! Geralt is much more responsive and he controls better than before ! All in all a very awesome patch.

You guys are nothing but a bunch of spoiled entitled idiots who want this $400 console to do what a $700+ PC can do and find fault and issues where there really are none . CD Projekt works their ass off to please you and all you do is complain and complain about non-issues. Have fun in these forums while I go enjoy this masterpiece!

Hey guys, I have piss poor eye sights, also I've never owned a good PC in my life. Therefore 18 fps is good enough for me. You're all spoiled brats!!! I played games 20 years ago at 12 fps so you're all spoiled for expecting a 2015 console to run it at 30 fps minimium. Who cares about graphics? Let's play witcher 3 at 480i instead of 1080p!!!!! Also the devs worked their ass off!!! The only took our money for a product that was released almost 2.5 months ago. Would you please think off the poor devs guys? .....guys?

(sarcasm)

Last edited:
It's a shame to hear the fps problem is still present and I now hear the Xbox One version has the same issue as well. I think they messed up something or I don't know what kind of performance problems they addressed but not the same that we all experiencing for sure. Or these fixes are only for the PC version and we don't see any actual benefit from it at all. Very disappointing this could have been a 2016 release because the time it will actually play well (if at all) will be in the distant future.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I have piss poor eye sights, also I've never owned a good PC in my life. Therefore 18 fps is good enough for me. You're all spoiled brats!!! I played games 20 years ago at 12 fps so you're all spoiled for expecting a 2015 console to run it at 30 fps minimium. Who cares about graphics? Let's play witcher 3 at 480i instead of 1080p!!!!! Also the devs worked their ass off!!! The only took our money for a product that was released almost 2.5 months ago. Would you please think off the poor devs guys? .....guys?

(sarcasm)

I wish I had the time and energy to write a response to match your amazing diction and witty sarcasm but I am tired and at work (you know it comes with having a life). But I feel you dude I really do. I'm just a dirty console peasant who does not know better and have to settle for the lesser things in life.

I guess I'll just have to return to my miserable ignorant gaming preferences when I get out of work. If only I was a smart, educated, cerebral gamer I could spend my time complaining in forums as telling others how they should enjoy their games. :(

I wish I had the time and energy to write a response to match your amazing diction and witty sarcasm but I am tired and at work (you know it comes with having a life). But I feel you dude I really do. I'm just a dirty console peasant who does not know better and have to settle for the lesser things in life.

I guess I'll just have to return to my miserable ignorant gaming preferences when I get out of work. If only I was a smart, educated, cerebral gamer I could spend my time complaining in forums as telling others how they should enjoy their games. :(

When i'm working I don't have the time to browse gaming forums, but that's just me. Because at work..... I actually work

While I fancy being proclivity for hard work, i'd never go as far call it "love for life".

Incongruity ---->

Seems quite a few people have different opinions on how effective this patch was at addressing the FPS issue then...

Is the swamp better at least overall, would you say? surly it can't be as bad as before. I haven't got my ps4 setup up at the moment so I can't check.

I hope Gamersyde makes a new video showing it like last time.

Seems quite a few people have different opinions on how effective this patch was at addressing the FPS issue then...

Is the swamp better at least overall, would you say? surly it can't be as bad as before. I haven't got my ps4 setup up at the moment so I can't check.

I hope Gamersyde makes a new video showing it like last time.

with a 7gb patch? I can't believe it hasn't improved at least a little bit

Yeah weird.
I think there were differences before. No idea why, possibly different hardware builds or whatever. I have noticeable performance issues, but nowhere near as bad as what some people are reporting. Whereas in GTA V I've had more issues than people were reporting.

Really curious what the patch will do for me.

When i'm working I don't have the time to browse gaming forums, but that's just me. Because at work..... I actually work

Incongruity ---->

I admire your work ethic but I like to be on my phone whilst taking a shit even while at work . ;)

Also I don't see how my posts are incongruous. Here is the definition: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/incongruous

While I fancy being proclivity for hard work, i'd never go as far call it "love for life".

Dude.... What? Your adorable attempts at being eloquent don't seem to jive well with your angry internet guy persona and angry entitlement.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom