Please add casual play!

+
Dear devs,

My wife and I love to play Gwent. However, every time we get into the game we reach a certain rank where all we do is keep losing. It's a shame because after a while, even though we would like to continue playin, we flunk out. We've reached that point again. These past few days I played several games and most of them were Monster decks based around Sir Scratch-a-Lot. Now I don't want to start a discussion about this particular card. What I'd like to suggest is a more permanent solution for players who get stuck at a certain rank.

My question is: Have you ever considered adding a casual game mode?

That way player who can't get beyond a certain rank can still enjoy the game and play against decks that perhaps aren't competitive, but are nonetheless fun to play.
It would be nice if playing in casual play helps you to progress in your journey. We bought the Geralt and Ciri journey, but as we can't win any matches anymore, we don't progress in the journey either, which doesn't seem fair.

I'm assuming that I'm not the first to suggest this, but I am interested to hear what your take is on this subject.

Thanks for listening!

Erik & Linda

My question is: Have you ever considered adding a casual game mode?
There is the "Training mode", which is supposed to offer a casual environment. It's the fourth game mode in the UI, after "Standard", "Seasonal", "Draft". In the "Training mode" there is no rank involved.

However, players might anyway bring their meta decks to the table. In "training mode" you might find a way weaker opposition (someone experimenting) or stronger players who want to avoid ranked games.

It's hard to define a casual setting in a 1v1 game.

Yes, there's always going to be a lot of people who play with strong cards. No matter how casual a casual mode is. Even newer players can quickly get strong enough meta decks so there's no way to really prevent any of that.

The only other way I could think of to really test noncompetitive decks without stress is playing against friends.

It's hard to define a casual setting in a 1v1 game.

Perhaps, but if it were up to me, I'd say that playing in casual mode might help you progress your journey, but it will not allow you to advance in rank. That way people who want progress in rank will do competitieve mode or ranked play. In ranked play you play against players of your own rank (if I understand it correctly), but in casual play you can get a match with anyone. That way you'll win some matches and you'll lose some matches and that keeps it interesting.

It very much sounds like training (vs. player) has all the features you are requesting —credit towards journey, quests, and most achievements, no pressure of advancing in rank, and opportunity to be matched against players of all ability and levels. Have you tried it? If so, what is it lacking that you are hoping to see?

DRK3

Forum veteran
Perhaps, but if it were up to me, I'd say that playing in casual mode might help you progress your journey, but it will not allow you to advance in rank. That way people who want progress in rank will do competitieve mode or ranked play. In ranked play you play against players of your own rank (if I understand it correctly), but in casual play you can get a match with anyone. That way you'll win some matches and you'll lose some matches and that keeps it interesting.
Casual mode (the 'training vs player mode' that other players mentioned) DOES help you progress in Journey, contracts, basically everything except rank.

I am a veteran that for years played more in casual than ranked, but lately it has become unbearable, due to its polarization - its either the exact same metadecks i see in ranked (the ones im trying to escape), or true newbies who probably started a few days ago, with starter decks or small variations of those, who still havent figured out that mode's current nature is a deception - its not appropriate to beginners at all, and you wont find experimentation or an easier time than in ranked if your rank is anywhere 30-10.

Casual mode (the 'training vs player mode' that other players mentioned) DOES help you progress in Journey, contracts, basically everything except rank.

I am a veteran that for years played more in casual than ranked, but lately it has become unbearable, due to its polarization - its either the exact same metadecks i see in ranked (the ones im trying to escape), or true newbies who probably started a few days ago, with starter decks or small variations of those, who still havent figured out that mode's current nature is a deception - its not appropriate to beginners at all, and you wont find experimentation or an easier time than in ranked if your rank is anywhere 30-10.

I only ever trained against AI and didn't realize it is exactly what I described. Really happy to hear it though - but giving it another name and seperating it from training against AI would help to make the distinction clear. I just played 2 matches. Both decks were very good indeed, but that's alright. Anyway, thanks a lot!

Last edited:
I only ever trained against AI and didn't realize it is exactly what I described. Really happy to hear it though - but giving it another name and seperating it from training against AI would help to make the distinction clear. I just played 2 matches. Both decks were very good indeed, but that's alright. Anyway, thanks a lot!
It was a separate mode, then an option of ranked play (you unchecked the box to play unranked - Gwent's casual mode). But now interface looks the way it looks - with unranked grouped with AI training being not the strangest decision.
Also - try "Gwent: Rogue Mage" (I'm not advertising, although Rogue Mage has to be bought separately). The game lets you play against different AI decks, and AI there plays way better and more diversely than many Gwent players.

Last edited:
I have exactly same experience as you. I really love Gwent but i don´t like play against meta decks.
I am currently around rank 7 and i meet two types of deck sir broken-a-lot and Renfri.

Traing mode
is deffinitely not a solution. I meet there even more broken decks than at ranked, very often they have full premium so they are veterans who can´t handle competetion at their lvl. I played like 10 game and it was worse than ranked around my rank. Its same at HS with "casual" mode, there are just same OP deck as ranked only difference is its played by player who just wish to abuse newbies.
Without some restrictions or lowering rewards (not a good way) you willl never forced out sweats from casual modes.

I have around 40k scraps so i can ez craft few meta decks, problem is i don´t like it. I don´t like play same 10 neutrals in every deck to thin my deck and rince and repeat same combo in 3 round over and over again.

I think about it for a while and best solution will be...

DEVOTION MODE

Yeah its from my perspekitve (i play only theme devotion decks) BUT.

for most toxic repetetive broken decks you need neutrals.
Devotion decks right now aren´t op and it can help casuals.
Casual (i think at least its my case) will like to play theme diverze decks.

Sounds decent. My favorite decks are all female or all creature or just card art I like; a lot of them are neutral, but I'd give Devotion mode a whirl. Until they balance Draft or bring back Arena I can only tolerate Patience Is a virtue seasonal mode whenever it comes around.

1657715867935.png

Such a skill such a wow. Sir-broken-alot + arachna + sabbath.
Rince and repeat 3 round (kidding this deck don´t need 3 rounds)

I am currently play against it "play silly and rope till last second every turn" deck I only wish iam able to deliver same levle of toxicity as player with this cancer deck.

9Yup. Those are two decks everyone plays now. But worse is still comming. Check out my opponents score with his Gold Cultists deck in round 3. This is truly ridiculous. Why am I even playing?

View attachment 11311435
Lel, you should have bleed him harder in round 2, but yeah it seems quite crazy. Developers seems not to be aware of how dangerous are cards that create another cards be, cards like arachas queen, Folsted or imperial practicioner are really dangerous for the meta.

Maybe create some algorithm that can compute which decks are the current top 20 meta and create a mode called non-meta. But the [...] who only play meta would probably play it and play whatever the next most popular metas were.... Ah, the psychology of the gamer and the [...]. It seems 80% if the players I play only play meta. I will never understand it. If only we had Arena again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom