Please add HDR support to pc.

+
Please add HDR support to pc.

There is no tech limitation and it is not fair for pc gamers, we paid money too you know. Coming from CDPR, this is very disappointing.

Yes, I agree!!! It's sad when you see that console gamers have better features than PC Gamers. Even when there aren't so many monitors that support HDR, there would be in the future and I will come back to The Witcher 3 in the future. You have always been fair to everyone, so you should be fair now, with HDR!!!!!

I will chime in and say I am very surprised that CDPR is now neglecting their loyal PC fanbase with this. There is absolutely no reason why we should not have HDR support as well. If I remember correctly, I paid full price for me game too, just like the console gamers.

If the argument is that few PC monitors support HDR, why are we not getting an upgrade to the textures, particles and lighting then, to take advantage of the much higher capabilities of PC? What's the thinking here?

Furthermore, CDPR completely stopped communicating to fans about these concerns. Really looking like things are changing at CDPR, and not for the better...

Last edited:
We have 4k HDR tvs at home already pinned to PCs its 2018. PC shouldn't be chasing consoles but other way around. CD Project pealse add this feature to PC over 5 millions copies sold remember?

Last edited:
I love CD Projekt Red, but yeah this is definitely something that rubs me the wrong way. The PC gaming platform is superior than the console platform - there's no reason at all why consoles that struggle to run games in 1080p at a sad 30fps should be getting HDR patches while the PC platform, where gamers run games in better resolutions with better framerates and image quality are lacking it. Just doesn't make a lick of sense.

Razrback16;n10710901 said:
I love CD Projekt Red, but yeah this is definitely something that rubs me the wrong way. The PC gaming platform is superior than the console platform - there's no reason at all why consoles that struggle to run games in 1080p at a sad 30fps should be getting HDR patches while the PC platform, where gamers run games in better resolutions with better framerates and image quality are lacking it. Just doesn't make a lick of sense.

Not sure what you mean here. HDR (High Dynamic Range) is a lighting technique that is standard in most PC games, TW3 included. It works just fine. Or are you referring to high definition (2K / 4K) resolutions? This is also available on PCs already. Just change the resolution to the desired one if you have a true 2K / 4K display. If you have a 1080p monitor, you'll need to enable DSR (Dynamic Super Resolution) on Nvidia or VSR (Virtual Super Resolution) for AMD. You can find these options in the requisite control panels for the GPU.

The one thing that might cause a slight issue is the scaling of the 2D elements (like the font or inventory icons). Those will get pretty tiny if you up the resolution too far.

SigilFey;n10720651 said:
Not sure what you mean here. HDR (High Dynamic Range) is a lighting technique that is standard in most PC games, TW3 included. It works just fine. Or are you referring to high definition (2K / 4K) resolutions? This is also available on PCs already. Just change the resolution to the desired one if you have a true 2K / 4K display. If you have a 1080p monitor, you'll need to enable DSR (Dynamic Super Resolution) on Nvidia or VSR (Virtual Super Resolution) for AMD. You can find these options in the requisite control panels for the GPU.

The one thing that might cause a slight issue is the scaling of the 2D elements (like the font or inventory icons). Those will get pretty tiny if you up the resolution too far.

Hi Sigil -

I'm talking about HDR - let me try to embed a tweet here, not sure if this messageboard software allows it or not -

Looks like this messageboard software doesn't allow a direct embed, so I'll provide a link to CDPR stating they are not releasing HDR for the PC -

https://twitter.com/Marcin360/status..._site=pcgamesn

Just to add, I play the game in 4k @ 60fps, so no issues there with resolution.

Last edited:
Razrback16;n10722541 said:
Hi Sigil -

I'm talking about HDR - let me try to embed a tweet here, not sure if this messageboard software allows it or not -

Looks like this messageboard software doesn't allow a direct embed, so I'll provide a link to CDPR stating they are not releasing HDR for the PC -

https://twitter.com/Marcin360/statu...cher-3/the-witcher-3-pc-hdr&tfw_site=pcgamesn

Ah! Missed this bit of technical goodness along the way it seems. So it's native HDR on a physical display. (I wish they would stop recycling acronyms.) I remember HDR from the days of TES: Oblivion...when it made looking at a rock appear like you were staring into the sun. :p I follow, now.

Still, the color gradients used in the standard PC display will likely outstrip the standard console version. Brighter brights and deeper shadows, far less noticeable lines. I really don't notice the gradient lines at all on my screen. Only in the darkest areas can I clearly pick them out. There is at least some level of HDR being used through the GPU, but having a monitor capable of a billion colors would be pretty nice. (Unfortunately, from the reading I just did, I think the answer is a solid "no" for that one. It might be that the consoles simply have the feature built in to their systems by default. Makes sense, since TVs appear to have had the feature for significantly longer than monitors.)

I'm still unsure about exactly how much native, display HDR differs from GPU HDR, which we've had for a long time.

SigilFey;n10722801 said:
Ah! Missed this bit of technical goodness along the way it seems. So it's native HDR on a physical display. (I wish they would stop recycling acronyms.) I remember HDR from the days of TES: Oblivion...when it made looking at a rock appear like you were staring into the sun. :p I follow, now.

Still, the color gradients used in the standard PC display will likely outstrip the standard console version. Brighter brights and deeper shadows, far less noticeable lines. I really don't notice the gradient lines at all on my screen. Only in the darkest areas can I clearly pick them out. There is at least some level of HDR being used through the GPU, but having a monitor capable of a billion colors would be pretty nice. (Unfortunately, from the reading I just did, I think the answer is a solid "no" for that one. It might be that the consoles simply have the feature built in to their systems by default. Makes sense, since TVs appear to have had the feature for significantly longer than monitors.)

I'm still unsure about exactly how much native, display HDR differs from GPU HDR, which we've had for a long time.

No worries - I knew what you were talking about. :)

I agree with you in that the way I (and likely many of us) play the game in true 4k @ 60fps with every single setting maxed out and using an added on mod to the game that adds even more IQ settings puts the console version to shame even with their HDR patch - it's just that there should never ever be a reason you'd released any kind of a graphical enhancement for consoles that struggle to run the game in 1080p at decent framerates and not release it for the far superior PC version. IMO, anyway. :)

Agree, I really don't understand why as a PC user we are not granted the same luxuries as console players, seems like a really odd thing to do, especially from a company as customer friendly as CD Project Red, they are even ignoring threads/tweets about it.

SigilFey;n10722801 said:

Simply put HDR (high dynamic range) will enable the game to utilize incredible contrast. An easy way to conceptualize this is the sun will look much much brighter on an HDR screen/compatible game. I'm not sure about PC games but the UHD blu rays also support a wide color gamut so the colors look much richer.

Just here to throw in my support and desire for The Witcher with HDR on PC. The PC version is already the definitive edition but for consoles to get it and not PC doesn't seem very fair. I have about 130 hours played on this game and would love to revisit it with a breadth of freshness. If the work was already done on consoles surely it shouldn't be too hard to implement it into the PC..? Thanks for listening.

dukeinator;n10757461 said:
Simply put HDR (high dynamic range) will enable the game to utilize incredible contrast. An easy way to conceptualize this is the sun will look much much brighter on an HDR screen/compatible game. I'm not sure about PC games but the UHD blu rays also support a wide color gamut so the colors look much richer.

Just here to throw in my support and desire for The Witcher with HDR on PC. The PC version is already the definitive edition but for consoles to get it and not PC doesn't seem very fair. I have about 130 hours played on this game and would love to revisit it with a breadth of freshness. If the work was already done on consoles surely it shouldn't be too hard to implement it into the PC..? Thanks for listening.

+1

I hope they will listen and offer the same feature for PC users.

Or i will have to buy it on PS4 Pro just for enjoying HDR in Witcher 3 for a new run.

No more beautiful 3D Vision and PC confort :( .

Hi guys,

We have no plans to add HDR on PC. It would require us to allocate some of our manpower back to The Witcher and right now we're fully focused on Cyberpunk 2077 and GWENT: The Witcher Card Game. Thank you for your understanding.

Marcin_Momot;n10834881 said:
Hi guys,

We have no plans to add HDR on PC. It would require us to allocate some of our manpower back to The Witcher and right now we're fully focused on Cyberpunk 2077 and GWENT: The Witcher Card Game. Thank you for your understanding.

this is terrible and not an excuse, why do consoles get HDR patch when the PC version doesn't. I paid the money for PC version too you know. How can any pc customers trust you on future pc games support release at this point. Basically another PC dev screw over their original pc fan base.

Hi guys,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to this issue Marcin.

Although, I have to say that I feel disappointed in the decision CDPR took this time around. As someone who owns the game on the PC and on the xbox one x, I can say that the xbox version does look really great at times because of the HDR, but I just can't bring myself to play the game on the xbox because of the lower resolution textures and lower fps.

It's a real shame that there are no plans to bring HDR support to PC, Witcher 3 is the best rpg game ever made, maybe even the best game ever made. I personally will be playing the Witcher 3 a lot in the years to come and I know I'm by no means the only one. Because of its status as a cult classic, a new generation of gamers will no doubt get to experience the wonder that is Witcher 3 in the future, but they will do so in SDR, because of no HDR support on the PC. I do believe that HDR will be very commonplace in a few years. So, I do found it baffling that there would be no HDR support on the only platform that we can play the game on, after this console generation (or maybe if we are lucky the next one).

I understand that you guys are busy with other games, and personally I can't wait for Cyberpunk 2077. I'm confident that it will be the next gaming masterpiece.
But for posterity's sake, I hope you will revisit the idea of adding HDR support to Witcher 3 at a later date. Hopefully it will be more feasible by then.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

That's not really a proper way to support your game. Remember the claim that you don't have platform favoritism?

If you prefer PC or Playstation 4 over Xbox One, The Witcher 3 will also be released on those systems, so there will be various options to choose from. I can assure you that here at CD Projekt RED we are all gamers and when making a game, we treat all devices equally - there's no favourism. We just want to deliver the best experience possible. Hope this clears things up a bit.

Releasing certain features to one version and not to other is very clearly platform favoritism. If resources are limited - then it would be proper to hire more people, or not to release such feature until you have those resources.

Gilrond-i-Virdan;n10876641 said:
Releasing certain features to one version and not to other is very clearly platform favoritism. If resources are limited - then it would be proper to hire more people, or not to release such feature until you have those resources.

Agreed. They must have already remapped the colors to HDR if the consoles can do it (and to the mod's point: no, the consoles do not have some kind of auto-HDR-mapping built-in). It seems like they would just have to implement those mappings in the PC version and trigger HDR mode on the display.

Often for things like this, Nvidia/AMD are willing to provide assistance on request. If you guys feel you don't have enough resources to allocate to this, maybe you guys could do a Kickstarter to fund having Nvidia implement a solution using those existing mappings? I think you'd be surprised at the response.

Please, CDPR... please consider doing this. This is your "definitive version"...

Last edited:

comm1

Forum regular
Witcher was pc only when it came out and they said they love their pc customers. Now consoles get updates only while pc is an afterthought?
Not very loyal. HDR on pc would be amazing.

Top Bottom