Please adjust Gorthur Gvaed (Nilfgaard location) to remove overpowered synergy

+
They should make the location card only be able to put back cards that are 8 provisions or lower. :] That way you can't do those crazy setups with Canta.
I'd support this 200%.

Last edited:

Guest 4563100

Actually, Location and Canta were played together like a million ages ago. I mean right after WotW came out. Why do people notice this only now?

Because before Chinese metabreaker nobody dared cut locks from NG. Everyone thought NG is control faction. But now NG is better as engine/poinslam faction with some deck manipulation and less control. After replacing locks with engines and high gold control (Vincent, Bonhart or something) or Ramon with Vigo and something, Joachim can play into engines consistently. Joachim now plays a little like Amphibious Assault but can play it twice in a round.

So now Gvaed + Canta is not only rare stealing of some cards that often not works but also consistent megapoints with Joachim into engines. Now this is overpowered together. One of those things must go.

The deck that uses the combo is a devotion deck though and as such does not (and cannot) run Oneiromancy ...
Or was your point to compare the criticism to the constant moaning about Oneiromancy ?

Just for clarification I do not think that the interaction, nor Oneiromancy are problematic.

NG is devotion is not important. You can steal opponent Oneiromancy. It is very problematic. Playing Oneiromancy before round 3 is very much risk with NG. But NG risk nothing. They can always play the Joachim if no Oneiromancy. Or any big card you played in round 1 or 2.

None of these are problem by itself. But together in one combo - too flexible, too powerful.
Post automatically merged:

Also, big problem is that this combo is not raelly a combo. It's not two units and first can be removed before the second. This cannot be stopped. Often not even by passing since locations have resilience (passing saves from Oneiromancy theft unless they sacrifice a card, and this is often worth it with the value of thinning, squirrel action and one Oneiro play for you)

Last edited by a moderator:
They should make the location card only be able to put back cards that are 8 provisions or lower. :] That way you can't do those crazy setups with Canta.
I'd support this 200%.
Also nerf the Double Cross leader so it doesn't GIVE DAMN 17 PROVISIONS! -_-
Some people here say that nerfing this insane location card would make it "useless" lol. Well on top of this being simply wrong, also let me remind you that the Monster's Dol Dhu Lokke has been pretty useless since day 1 of it's release so yeah, think about that. NG's location is like 4 times better then MO one is, so that's rather unfair.

Last edited:
Stop nerfing things, just buff the weak faction on the last season, lets make every Faction OP so no faction is OP, it's that simple.

I was playing against a NG player today and he obviously set up his location to reuse Joachim twice with Coup again. I used Hjalmaar to banish Joachim from my graveyard and he was still able to return it back into my deck and reuse it. WTF?? Is this working as intended?

I used Hjalmaar to banish Joachim from my graveyard and he was still able to return it back into my deck and reuse it.
There were probably two Joachims in your graveyard, one from starting deck and another spawned by Coup.

I was playing against a NG player today and he obviously set up his location to reuse Joachim twice with Coup again. I used Hjalmaar to banish Joachim from my graveyard and he was still able to return it back into my deck and reuse it. WTF?? Is this working as intended?

I recommend Northern Wind to banish Joachim from your side the instant he's played. Defensively removing a card from your own side of the board is always a bitter pill, but this prevents three more instances of Joachim being played against you. Plus the card has a lot of utility against other decks at the low cost of 5 provisions.

Blue Dream is 12 provision and can only play 1) units 2) 9 provision or less. Location + Canta can play anything. And Oneiromancy doesn't even lose the echo.
But Blue Dream is unintaractable. You can heathwave the Gorthur Gvaed, if you consider it to be the biggest threat of this deck.

But Blue Dream is unintaractable. You can heathwave the Gorthur Gvaed, if you consider it to be the biggest threat of this dec
If Gorthur Gvaed's secondary ability being denied is a fair trade for a Heatwave then it just even further proves our point that the location is OP.
Other location's secondary abilities don't go further then giving a 2 - 4 points of situational boosts. Meanwhile this one lets you set up a nuclear Cantarela strike.

If Gorthur Gvaed's secondary ability being denied is a fair trade for a Heatwave then it just even further proves our point that the location is OP.
Thats my point. And because you would probably safe your Heatwave for something else in 10 out of 10 times, there are probably more dangerous threats, eh? I've spent some time this and last season playing this combo in several different types of NG decks. None of them was OP in any way - try yourself. I mean, yeah, it's a strong combo, but it's not the (main) reason why this deck is so strong. If it was, than the Heatwave would be the answer, which is not. Playing against it, what is you strategy? Win the round 1 and then bleed out the scenario? I doubt it.

Other location's secondary abilities don't go further then giving a 2 - 4 points of situational boosts
That's technically incorrect. Stygga Castle gives you no "direct points", but depending on circumstances can easiliy give you up to 9 points through synergies and even more by avoiding damage output waste. Salamandra Hideout order ability can be key part of the "double salamander" combo, that can mean even far more points, even more it's actually the winning condition.

Guest 4375874

That's technically incorrect. Stygga Castle gives you no "direct points", but depending on circumstances can easiliy give you up to 9 points through synergies and even more by avoiding damage output waste. Salamandra Hideout order ability can be key part of the "double salamander" combo, that can mean even far more points, even more it's actually the winning condition.
Not sure what you mean by this, the direct points are just there to make up for the order abilities that are very bad like Dol Dhu Lokke's tokens. Stygga Castle has synergy with numerous cards true but those points can be denied by removing said cards before they pick up value over several turns. That's not the case with Gorthur Gvaed, you have no way to stop this, it's a huge point swing immediately and they can choose when to use it avoiding any risk. The double salamander argument is also irrelevant since that requires building your deck around the card and also wipes your board. I don't see how you are comparing these.

Risk vs Reward. Double Salamander is high risk, high reward. There's no risk with Gorthur Gvaed, that is the issue with most of NG's auto include cards and this is no different. It's costed the same as the others yet between Viper Witcher Mentor and the order ability it plays for ridiculous value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure what you mean by this, the direct points are just there to make up for the order abilities that are very bad like Dol Dhu Lokke's tokens. Stygga Castle has synergy with numerous cards true but those points can be denied by removing said cards before they pick up value over several turns. That's not the case with Gorthur Gvaed, you have no way to stop this, it's a huge point swing immediately and they can choose when to use it avoiding any risk. The double salamander argument is also irrelevant since that requires building your deck around the card and also wipes your board. I don't see how you are comparing these.

Risk vs Reward. Double Salamander is high risk, high reward. There's no risk with Gorthur Gvaed, that is the issue with most of NG's auto include cards and this is no different. It's costed the same as the others yet between Viper Witcher Mentor and the order ability it plays for ridiculous value.
Just a "technical" note, nothing more - not discussing the relevance. ;)

On the other hand, the Gorthur Gvaed isn't card that "auto-rewards" you every single time. It needs some setup and timing as well. There are games you won't get more than +/- 5 points out of it. (In my experience as well as on the "profi level".) Considering provisions, it's almost allways difficult to balance cards with low floor and high ceilings somewhat perfectly, but speaking about mechanics, I think this card works OK. I believe it was designed to compliment more decks than just the metabreaker one and thus should stay as it is. Furthermore I believe it's not (just) this card / combo, what makes this deck a bit OP, as I was runnig few other setups with this combo and none of them was OP by any means. This deck probably deserves some nerf, but are we discussing the deck or the card? If the card, than I am OK with it as it is. Just a different perspective, no offence.

I, too, generally find Gorthur Gvaed interesting, and not overpowered. But the interaction with Cantarella is a bad one. My dilemma is that I think both cards provide a necessary function that is strategic and interesting — I don’t know how to solve the interaction without losing something important.

I, too, generally find Gorthur Gvaed interesting, and not overpowered. But the interaction with Cantarella is a bad one. My dilemma is that I think both cards provide a necessary function that is strategic and interesting — I don’t know how to solve the interaction without losing something important.
I seriously don't know whether the combo GG into Canta / quad Joachim is really that big of a problem. I still kinda feel like it's the metabreaker deck as whole. As well as I feel it's the Masquerde Ball what's the most problematic part of it.

Guest 4375874

I seriously don't know whether the combo GG into Canta / quad Joachim is really that big of a problem. I still kinda feel like it's the metabreaker deck as whole. As well as I feel it's the Masquerde Ball what's the most problematic part of it.
It is a big deal, it's not just Joachim...it can be your evolving card or whatever suits them in the moment. It allows them to use it as a squirrel removing the card from your graveyard and also play it. The problem with Masquerade Ball is being able to trigger all chapters in a single turn. Fix that and it would be fine as is. Poison on the other hand is a whole other discusion

Just make joaquin with doomed tag

Top Bottom