Please allow timed dialogue options and all game timers to be set as optional in the settings.

+
Don't play Detroit: Become Human, whatever you do ;)

As for timers in CP, I'm fine with an option to switch them off but I like them myself. I'd rather have them than not.

I like it when the game encourages me to react instinctively with heart and emotion rather than allowing me to sit there pondering all the permutations when all sorts of stuff is happening around me. I think it encourages more natural roleplay.

As with everything though, it's about getting the balance right. Obviously, timers should be used sparingly to enhance drama and only when the choices and situation don't require lots of reading. The choice in question can be tough morally or in terms of not knowing what's for the best but should be straightforward in terms of comprehension.

Besides, if you really hate the outcome, you can always reload, something people often do anyway even if they had all the time in the world to decide.

I like the idea of having to chose some dialogue moment more on emotional instinct instead of carefully picking each of them.

Don't play Detroit: Become Human, whatever you do ;)

As for timers in CP, I'm fine with an option to switch them off but I like them myself. I'd rather have them than not.

I like it when the game encourages me to react instinctively with heart and emotion rather than allowing me to sit there pondering all the permutations when all sorts of stuff is happening around me. I think it encourages more natural roleplay.

As with everything though, it's about getting the balance right. Obviously, timers should be used sparingly to enhance drama and only when the choices and situation don't require lots of reading. The choice in question can be tough morally or in terms of not knowing what's for the best but should be straightforward in terms of comprehension.

Besides, if you really hate the outcome, you can always reload, something people often do anyway even if they had all the time in the world to decide.
Reloading often to get around frustrating things is, well... frustrating.
Post automatically merged:

I think that an option to turn timers on/off would work for everyone. People could play how they prefer.
This would be very cool.

I dont mind this personally. I disagree with it making it more " gamey " as it's also in real life where you dont always have the luxury of time to make an an optimal choice. In fact it's more gamey when people just stare at you waiting for you to make a choice, breaks immersion. I like the way it is right now. :)
If anything it breaks my immersion by forcing me to reload the game multiple times only so that I can have enough time to read each individual option and think about what choice to make.

I'm one of those people who will save before every conversation, so this won't really affect me other than maybe making it a little more annoying to select dialogue options. I'm kind of ocd about accidentally doing something that ruins the playthrough, and dialogue choices in games can be extremely important and can lock you out of stuff depending on minor differences in what you say/do. If this stresses you out, then I recommend obsessively saving before every convo like me :ROFLMAO:
I'm worried that it will be impossible to save directly before every single dialogue for some hidden reason.

Yeah. That would basically never happen IRL. People would consider you slow, a weirdo, or something along those lines if you stood there just staring at them for even just a minute, not saying a word.
This doesn't happen much in real life because I already know what I want to say to someone.
No one forces you to "think about how V would react". In fact, if you play V as yourself (s)he thinks in the exact same way as you do. You can just pick 1 every single time, if you want. It's all optional.
The reason this is extra difficult is that the player does not know what conversation options V will be given, the choices that will come up on the screen for the player to read and choose from are a secret, completely unknown to the player until they show up on the screen. The player can't just speak and say whatever they want to, the player must rely on the available options and choices and choose from one of them, but the player can't know what to choose until they read them, and those choices are often a limited spectrum and in games I have played I notice they often (99% of the time) don't reflect what I actually wanted to say, which is very frustrating. If the game forces me to choose a random option quickly out of fear I will miss my opportunity, then that isn't a choice because I didn't even know what I was choosing because of the lack of knowledge and information resulting from the timer making it impossible for me to read the options, which means I don't know what the options are and panic and select one very fast since I couldn't read it, and then I have to reload the game over 10 times until I can read them fast enough and think about it and read them again and finally choose the correct option.

It's very stressful, very frustrating, and reloading the game over and over shatters my immersion.

Witcher 3 never overdoes timed dialogues though it does have quite a few, so I doubt Cyberpunk will either.
I strongly disliked every single timed dialogue in the witcher 3.

How could I possibly know that?
I can guess they won't be because it would be way excessive.
Edit: I CAN know it, actually, and so can you... just look at probably literally any gameplay video...

The two options in that clip are really short and the person playing makes their choice at around 40% time left. So, not much of an argument to use.
I was able to read both options just fine, like the player was, and could have made an equally quick decision if I'd been playing (because I'd have known the full context unlike when watching that video). I'm a fast reader.

Slow(er) readers will always be at a disadvantage compared to fast readers, when it comes to timed dialogues, naturally.

(I'm not responding to your first quote because it's blatantly obvious what you're trying with it, and it would just go off-topic.)
I couldn't read the choices in that video at all. The only way I could read the choices was to pause the video, and even then, I missed the opportunity like 3 times and actually failed to click the video quickly enough to even get it to pause fast enough to allow me to read the text options. It was so fast, that one time I blinked and I missed it. This timer mechanic is the most frustrating mechanic in all of video game history and I wish it would just stop. Timers ruin every single video game for me. They make me so very sad.

Last edited:
+1 for this I barely have time to read the response sometimes (and sometimes there's 5 or more options). The option to slow it down or disable these would be great. (Slower for the single choice options would be sufficient as they are more cinematic)

I am dyslexic so I don't really like timed dialogue choices, but I understand why they are in them but at least make a option where you can but the timer to slow or something like that, not only do I need to read it, with is hard it self, but english is also my second language, and the game don't support danish (like every other games don't do.....) so it would be nice with just something for us, who have to read it several times before we can understand it.

100% agree with this. Timers caused me to make some weird choices (not fully understanding what the options were as I was playing in my 2nd language) and miss many plot points.

Also disabling the snarky comments from characters when you delay for a couple of seconds would be nice. They also led to me missing lots of dialogue as they jumped in just as I was trying to respond and they ended up talking over each-other.

I understand what you are saying and also agree to some extent. However, in my own playthroughs, there were times were I chose to not provide a response in a timed response and just letting the timer elapse; this amounts to an additional player choice for how to respond in conversation which I believe you are ignoring the value of, in your discourse.

I do find that untimed dialogue choices often have NPC's calling you out for not answering fast enough. That's annoying AF and a great way of making player feel inadequate as they aren't reading as fast as Mr. Game Dev would like them to be. Like chill choom!

I think the timer could be a bit longer, especially when you have more then 2 options so you have time to read all options.

In the real irl, sometimes, you don't get much time to consider your choices, true that. But you do have your personality and your body, to do all the choices for you. The choice you will make is rather obvious to you before the situation even started to erupt. Like when a Forklift Loader dropped a bunch of metal bars on my legs, and I didn't have any time to think it through, my body just jumped me out of it, and only later I've realised what happened. But when you play a game, you don't have a free will, you have limited options. In the Witcher 2, this dude with a towel on his head, is okay with me tortured, investigates my guilt in a crime I didn't commit. I didn't have food, water, I didn't have a bed, ffs, I'm chained and my back is bleeding, some a-holes are using me as a punching bag. And now he dares to ask me questions. He unshakles me, and I can't cast Igni in his face right away, all I can do is to attack him with ma bare hands and die... or cooperate. I'm walking in a forest with him, I have my magic, my swords, and I still can't f-him up, cause he has a plot armor. Pivotal character to the storyline, I get it, but if I have to choose between available options, and not act on my free will, I have to at least know what those options are. Iorweth shows up a few seconds later, a dialogue pops up, my brain sees this picture:
1. ...
2. [WHISPER]...
3. ...
And two seconds later Geralt starts whispering to Triss that we have to take this dude alive. "Okay, I guess I'll WHISPER then... Alt+F4". Now trying to find a solution to this on the internet, cause, this is not da wey at all. And I don't seem to find any.

Timers can make a lot of sense and add tension and intrigue to a situation if they are used logically and well (and are not overused).

A timer running to zero also doesn't need to always mean "fail, try again" or "game over" either (not always, where it would make sense, it needs to, however). Instead it can evolve and guide the situational narrative to a different path and outcome, or simply alter the conditions of it and make the player look for new approaches. A big part of RPG intrigue comes - ideally - from emergent reactivity that keeps the gameworld "alive" and interesting. The passage of time is an excellent tool to provide some of that -- incidentally it is also usually misused where it appears and mostly negelcted on the grander scale due to said misuse that annoys the players. But the potential is there ripe to be reaped for the creative designer.
The reason why I love them

Top Bottom