Please CDPR fix the HDR !

+
I tried everything, PS4 and PC hooked up to my Philips 55 oled 4k tv. HDR is just broken in this game. There is no setting that will make it look even close to good.

So i've put the max nits to my TV's specification which is 400. Anything above that does nothing anyway. The only thing that i can change is Midpoints with absolute no image reference of what's happening here. 1 is too dark, 2 is too bright, anytime i think i find a soft spot i move to another area in the game and i have to set it all over again.

I have been so frustrated the past 2 days to the point that i even thought of buying a new TV. I've watched countless youtube videos on how to calibrate it, read different articles, calibrated my TV based on various guides but nothing really set right to me. I've even took photos and compared.

Finally i decided to try out modding and found a mod that simulates HDR. I was a bit reluctant to try out mods, i thought maybe it will brake the game in some way. A soon as i installed the mod i knew in the first 10 seconds that this is how HDR is suppose to look like in this game. Of course this is not true HDR, it's not dynamic, it's just a shader that adjusts the colors too look like HDR.

CDPR, you have created such a gorgeous world, please let us enjoy it at it's full potential and fix HDR.

Definitely do not buy a new monitor. As showcased in this video:
the HDR implementation is actually literally broken. It does not properly send an HDR image, and instead elevates and stretches the SDR signal to the point that you specify as your max brightness, resulting in elevated black levels and really poor contrast.

I'm really hoping CDPR will just acknowledge whether or not this is something they intend to fix. It's quite frustrating, especially because this game should be a perfect candidate for amazing HDR.

Sure, the HDR implementation could use some love, but regardless 400 nits is nowhere near enough for true HDR.

Sure, the HDR implementation could use some love, but regardless 400 nits is nowhere near enough for true HDR.
It's not but some TVs do some tricks to make a good fist of an HDR signal. No Man's Sky certainly looks better when I set it to HDR and my TV has 320 NITS o_O I know it's not real HDR but is LOOKS more vivid and detailed than SDR, basically all I care about. Whereas CP2077 sadly looks a lot worse.

Aside: I'm on PC, and the auto-HDR option in Windows 11 does a pretty good job with CP2077.

Toreal

Forum regular
Yeah I was also underwhelmed by the HDR in the game, while being blown away by other games on my LGC9.
But I played around with settings a little bit, and got the pop I wanted, although there is some over exposure with these settings, I overall like the look.

If you have a YouTube app on your TV that supports HDR, you can see for yourself how my settings look.

Yeah I was also underwhelmed by the HDR in the game, while being blown away by other games on my LGC9.
But I played around with settings a little bit, and got the pop I wanted, although there is some over exposure with these settings, I overall like the look.

If you have a YouTube app on your TV that supports HDR, you can see for yourself how my settings look.
That looks nice. So is that just by adjusting the HDR settings in-game, or the monitor settings?

Toreal

Forum regular
Yeah it's just adjusting the in game settings.
I see I forgot to put the settings in my original post.
So maximum brightness is 3499 (you could go to 4000 also)
And tone mapping midpoint is 1,15.
Paper White is just how bright you want your HUD.

Just play around with it, until you find something you like.
Don't mind the image where you adjust the HDR, it looks nothing like that in-game

I have an LG C8 and I used this thread for the settings:

Maximum brightness at 4000 (gets scaled down automatically by DTM)
Tone mapping midpoint at 1
Paper White at 200 (I disable most HUD elements anyway)

That's a good point, TV settings do of course matter here. I have my TV set to use HGIG, so no DTM is applied.
I find that if I use DTM on games, I get eye strain with HDR.

Oh I recommend HGIG, and would use it too if LG would give us C8 owners a firmware update. Yeah, not gonna happen.

Next Gen Patch 1.5
"Balanced HDR to achieve parity across all platforms."
So now we have "added warmth" and HDR is equally broken across all platforms, which it was from the beginning anyway..

Yes Please fix the HDR, would definitely make the game look so much more beautiful. Other than that the game works great on PS5. 👍 👌

Not sure if its fixed. Blacks looks pretty grey for me but colour look better i think. Have a 1000 nit 4k monitor so not a TV tho. Might be a bit better on a tv

Not sure if its fixed. Blacks looks pretty grey for me but colour look better i think. Have a 1000 nit 4k monitor so not a TV tho. Might be a bit better on a tv
Ok, I tested it quickly myself and it still seemed like the colours were washed out in comparison to SDR.

Was this issue fixed for you guys in 1.5?
It's certainly 'changed', to the point where I don't feel the need to use Windows Auto HDR as a fix, the in-game settings are as good I think. That doesn't mean it's right of course - my screen has a very low max nits though, so someone with genuine HDR monitor might see it very different.

Top Bottom