Please devs, can you implement additional fixes and tweaking on keyboard mapping?

+
Please devs, can you implement additional fixes and tweaking on keyboard mapping?

Dear devs,

I've spent two days and a couple of hours playing the game, all in all 50+ gameplay hours. I've not much to complain about, and I'm really loving the game, despite some tedious CTD-related issues.

But in those 50+ hours, besides having a ball, I never realised that Roach can jump. Aye, I admit it, I've completely missed Roach being able to jump. And not for the lack of attention or interest either, as there is nothing in the tutorial mentioning this feature. Well if there is I've missed it.

I've even thought about how sweet it would be for Roach to be able to jump over fences at times, before I stumbled upon the info that she's been able to jump over them all along.

Now, I've won every horse race I've entered, and the occasional tree trunk or obstacle in the way, I just ride around it. No problem there.

Which brings me to the actual issue: the time of White Frost will be engulfed in flames, before I use Space key in gameplay. For anything. It is very much out of my way. Ergo, I've never touched it until today. A double-tap and Roach soared. ^_^

So please, tell me how can I configure this key, and map this action differently? I seriously can't find it.

Also, it would be sweet to have the same key for similar functions. Really, it would improve gameplay a lot, and the gameplay is already great to begin with.

Perhaps Geralt AND Roach jumping action can be configured to respond to the same key? And Geralt running and walking toggle could also respond to the same key as Roach's canter and gallop function?

I know that you devs are paying attention to us, to me, so please, it would be great if keyboard got some(additional) attention in next patch. A little tweak here and there.

I'm connecting @REDDorigen to this request as I got a very quick response last time. :welcome:

Thank you so much for your time and know I have the utmost :respect: for you devs!

Best regards,

Bellator Pius Gratus

Last edited:
Huh?

I use space for jump for both Geralt and Roche, and Left shift for sprinting with Geralt and canter/gallop (single/double press) with Roche.

The problems with the keyboard are others, like the hardcoding of some functions (E for single loot, I for the Vendor recipe item info which doesn't work, etc.).

Last edited:
Huh?

I use space for jump for both Geralt and Roche, and Left shift for sprinting with Geralt and canter/gallop (single/double press) with Roche.

The problems with the keyboard are others, like the hardcoding of some functions (E for single loot, I for the Vendor recipe item info which doesn't work, etc.).

Oh, so I guess Space, being the main go to key for these actions, respond to both Geralt and Roach jumping then? Great. Likewise both Geralt and Roach run/canter using Left Shift? Even better. I guess then there is hope for me or anyone not using these keys. Because, surprise surprise, I use neither Space or Left Shift.

I've tried to map the same keys to both Geralt and Roach either jumping or run/canter but it just won't accept that. It just won't. Don't ask me finding Roach jumping mapping because that action isn't even present in the keyboard mapping section.

So, you understand my problem? You made me somewhat unsure of myself, so I tried double-tapping my assigned jump key while riding Roach. But no, nothing happened, so I guess my wish is still valid.

Please understand, I'm grateful for getting an answer and confirmation that these things correlate. Obviously this correlation is how it's supposed to be. I only want to use my own settings to do these actions.

Last edited:
Nah, your right. The jump bindings are messed up. I noticed it when I tried to bind the Quick menu to the space bar (which is how I had Mass Effect configured) And found out that it messes up a lot of things. As in no way to loot all items at once. The horse jump mechanics don't move with the Jump binding. And no way to meditate from the Quick Menu, due to me using the spacebar as the toggle for the quick menu.

One other thing messed up with the bindings which is even more annoying. The C key is hard binded to Sheath sword (which is a useless bind, since the swords Sheath by toggling the sword binded keys). I'd prefer to use the C key for a sign selection binding, but as it stands now I can't because every time I select C, geralt put's his sword away. What makes it even worse is that Sheath Sword used to be on the binding's list, but has gone missing since patch 1.02.

Last edited:

Vinthir

CD PROJEKT RED
Hi Bellator,
how can I configure this key, and map this action differently? I seriously can't find it.
Space is quite a popular choice in games for jumping, e.g. WoW has it there by default and I myself find it super natural to have it there under my thumb ;). Still, different people have different preferences and it is possible to rebind it in Options -> Key Bindings (remember to Unlock Bindings and then double-click a binding to rebind). Roach's and Geralt's jump are under the same key. I just changed the binding from Space to ; and it worked for both Roach and Geralt.

Perhaps Geralt AND Roach jumping action can be configured to respond to the same key? And Geralt running and walking toggle could also respond to the same key as Roach's canter and gallop function?
In case of Sprint and Gallop/Canter they are two separate bindings which are both bound to Left Shift, the former is higher on the list, just under movement keys and the other is much lower on the list under Call Horse.
If you want both of them bound to another key, remember to rebind them both. I tested it by rebinding both options to ' and it worked.

Remember that some keys are unrebindable (the panels like Map, Character etc).

Last edited:
if you bind jump to middle mouse, horsejump (roach) must be pressed twice. hehe...

already reported long time, except the mouse part, just dawned on me today cuz im fiddling with input_qwerty.ini and all the gamepad bindings. ie: call horse must be pressed twice when bound to gamepad (and prob mouse as well), but not keyboard.

edit: actually, something more odd than that, bcs horsejump only has to be pressed once on pad...

you can rebind those (unlock), and a bit more than that ;\ truly just Backspace, and WASD cannot be bound (bugs). if you check the threads linked in my sig. missing binds for 'close window' and 'cycle panel L/R', other than that, all the panel hard-binding keys.

in any case, what i can gather from the state of the files: someone is working on them (but dunno if hard-bindings will ever be addressed).

---------- Updated at 11:08 AM ----------

A double-tap and Roach soared.

hmm, that's odd. by default it should work when pressed once on keyboard. i tested the default bindings anyways. i though i had to press it twice cuz i bound it to mouse. maybe it's just if you rebind it, period, to any key? including space? now i'm confused.

oh, and the fix for horsejump was in the v1.05 patch. just rebind it in-game and it should work. if not, read the post in my sig.

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't know what you're both talking about. I tried just to be sure to change the bindings of jump (which is btw a single binding, the same key works for geralt and roche) and the sprint+canter/gallop, and on my PC they work without problems, no matter to what key I bind those commands.

I bound the E key to jump, and it works fine with both geralt and roche (and yes, the roche jump does move when you change the binding from space). I confirm, though, that C is still hard-bound to sheath swords, so if you use it for anything else while having a sword unsheathed, he will sheath it back.

As I said, some bindings are atm hard-coded (which is silly), but others are not. What keys are you trying to use for jump and sprinti/gallop, Bellator?

Bellator, you are not alone in frustration over the idea that someone would not want to use Space, and the overall key mapping mess perpetrated by CDPR...

I posted about this exact issue 2 weeks ago: link

i even sent a private email to them, in which they responded much like Vinthir above, saying they "don't think a fix is needed" since everyone uses Space. The biggest issue is some (not all) of these hard coded key binds ONLY work 1 way, meaning if there's a toggle, it won't work to toggle the function off. It's very convoluted, and it's obvious (to me) that for the first time, CDPR designed the game controls for a Controller first, then keyboard and mouse later. Which is an utterly stupid way of doing it.

---------- Updated at 11:21 AM ----------

BTW Bellator, there is a "Action-HorseJump" line in the user.ini in which you can change horse jump to another key.

for example I changed it to what I mapped Jump to in the first place, RightMouse.

---------- Updated at 11:30 AM ----------

. I tried just to be sure to change the bindings of jump (which is btw a single binding, the same key works for geralt and roche) and the sprint+canter/gallop, and on my PC they work without problems, no matter to what key I bind those commands.

I bound the E key to jump, and it works fine with both geralt and roche (and yes, the roche jump does move when you change the binding from space).

unless this changed in the last patch, this is not correct. At least if you changed Jump to a mouse button. I rebinded Jump to RightMouse, and after a week of playing, I realized Roach could jump but ONLY if you hit space (which I don't use - for anything). I had to go into the ini to fix it, and Thankfully there were 2 lines mapped to that specifically (1 of which was for a controller button)

unless this changed in the last patch, this is not correct. At least if you changed Jump to a mouse button. I rebinded Jump to RightMouse, and after a week of playing, I realized Roach could jump but ONLY if you hit space (which I don't use - for anything). I had to go into the ini to fix it, and Thankfully there were 2 lines mapped to that specifically (1 of which was for a controller button)

I tried to replicate the problem binding the jump to the right mouse button. I had the problem that Bellator reported, sometimes the jump works at first press, sometimes you need to press it twice in order for it to work, but I can use it nonetheless, I can't understand why you can't manage to jump at all with the right mouse button (if I try to press space which was not bound to anything while I made this try, nothing happened, correctly).

Edit: btw the double tap needed sometimes to jump happens only when I bind the jump to the right mouse button, on any other keyboard key the problem doesn't show up.

I tried to replicate the problem binding the jump to the right mouse button. I had the problem that Bellator reported, sometimes the jump works at first press, sometimes you need to press it twice in order for it to work, but I can use it nonetheless, I can't understand why you can't manage to jump at all with the right mouse button (if I try to press space which was not bound to anything while I made this try, nothing happened, correctly).

Well, if CDPR changed anything in how these bindings work in the last 2 patches, it might work differently. I had no response at all from hitting RMB on Roach 2 weeks ago. I've yet to try setting the INI tweak to default and seeing if it works now... well... Because it works fine now (and patches and updates do not overwrite that file)

The only problem I have still, is the Panel shortcut key binds not toggling (in addition to the other hard-coded keys not linking) I remap for inventory to Backspace, Backspace will open the inventory, but I still have to press to close it. That's lazy programming.

Last edited:
here's another funny bug:

if you rebind the keys 1 or 2 draw steel/silver swords, you lose the ability to draw ciri's weapon with one of those keys. only the last one bound ;p cuz the logic behind the gui and xml is such that it cant bind both. ir will unbind one, bind the other. :D but by default, they are both bound...

(the problem is you can have 'input_overlap' for 2 dif binds which share the same key, but 1/2 bon't share the same key, never will, and the UI will never accommodate it) ;p

if ciri is to have one weapon, it should be via a delegate function, called from geralt's functions... otherwise, the ciri class needs the implement the same functions...

on second though, there are already mixups between geralth/ciri models lol... so better not. just make them both interfaces of the client UI class ;o

Last edited:
Hi Bellator,

Space is quite a popular choice in games for jumping, e.g. WoW has it there by default and I myself find it super natural to have it there under my thumb ;). Still, different people have different preferences and it is possible to rebind it in Options -> Key Bindings (remember to Unlock Bindings and then double-click a binding to rebind). Roach's and Geralt's jump are under the same key. I just changed the binding from Space to ; and it worked for both Roach and Geralt.

In case of Sprint and Gallop/Canter they are two separate bindings which are both bound to Left Shift, the former is higher on the list, just under movement keys and the other is much lower on the list under Call Horse.
If you want both of them bound to another key, remember to rebind them both. I tested it by rebinding both options to ' and it worked.

Hello, and thank you for answering! ^_^

Aye, I agree, Space key is quite popular and right there under your thumbs. Natural as you said, so why not use it? Well first of all you've got to have thumbs in the first place. Yeah, you read correctly and I'm not kidding.

Now, I'm not gonna go into detail about scars and what ails me and so on, because nothing ails me to be honest. Been an avid game since 25 years. 20 out of those years I configure my own keyboard settings and habits tend to die very very hard. Sure, I can adapt if I have to, but Space key...is very much out of the way. Very much so. ;)

So I use Numpad a lot. And since patch 1.05 I've no trouble binding Map to a Numpad key for instance, so I know you've already fixed and improved some things. And I'm grateful for that!

Anyhow, I use Numpad 0 to make Geralt jump(to answer @Galandil 's question). But Roach does not answer to that command whether I tap, double-tap or hammer down on the key like an idiot.

Run/Walk toggle or Sprint toggle (doesn't matter which)for me is Right Shift, not Left Shift. Honestly, I don't think Left Shift ought to be favoured just because lefties are a minority. But I digress.

I just tried what you said...and it worked. Geralt Sprint and Roach Canter actions can be bound/mapped to the same key. Great! It's just that I use Sprint Toggle and that is a no go unfortunately.

So I would very much like it if you looked keyboard bindings over once more. But don't cater or anything, I'll manage either way, but it would be nice to get the same keybind response from Roach as well as Geralt. And frankly, if keybind feature is there to begin with I guess it ought to work properly and let one bind as you please.

Again, thank you so much for your response and for making a great game! You are the best devs! Believe me when I say it! ^_^

@PrincessMassacre

Yep, I have to tap Space twice and not just once to make Roach jump.

---------- Updated at 06:12 PM ----------

EDIT:

BTW Bellator, there is a "Action-HorseJump" line in the user.ini in which you can change horse jump to another key.

for example I changed it to what I mapped Jump to in the first place, RightMouse.

Haha, you know I tried that and it actually worked! Geralt and Roach now jump when I press Numpad0!

Also Right Shift is now mapped to Run/Walk Toggle, Sprint, AND Roach canter/gallop. Answer this post already so I can give you another REDpoint! ^_^

Last edited:
i used PrincessMassacre tool and i managed to be able to use most of my usual keys, even if im using azerty keyboard.

i can map my personal setup in nearly all games, excepted very very few ones, for those i had to use tweaks or third party, W3 was one of those, sorry for that... :rolleyes:

Top Bottom