Please Disable the forced TAA on PC

+
The TAA bs was also present in Age of Empires 3 Definitive it made aoe look hella blurry lol

I personally don't get the hate for TAA. Games look terrible without TAA or other advanced methods of AA. For me jaggies give me migraines. That being said I do think you should have the option to turn it off though. Those that hate TAA for whatever reason check the Cyberpunk 2077 Nexus, there's already a mod there that lets you disable it.

I would also like to see an option to disable TAA in the settings.

I don't feel comfortable editing my .exe file to disable it in the games code, or downloading some patch that might break my game.

Guest 4060800

Finally found an easy and quick soluition. Altho it's a manual file edit it only requires to add some lines to the general.ini, not poke around with a HEX editor.
  1. Disable DLSS the graphics settings in game
    I've been told DLSS depends on TAA? No idea, but supposedly the game may crash if it's enabled and TAA turned off. I enabled it afterwards and it didn't crash for me - but it didn't improve the framerate either, so I left it off in the end.

2. Go to your install directory
    .\Cyberpunk 2077\engine\config\base\

3. Open the general.ini with a normal text editor, which will look like this
    INI:
    [General]ConfigVersion = 2
    DefaultEngine = "CGameEngine"

4. Make it look like this by adding the last three lines
    INI:
    [General]
    ConfigVersion = 2
    DefaultEngine = "CGameEngine"

[Developer/FeatureToggles]
    Antialiasing = 0
    AntialiasingSuppressed = 1
    (if the first 3 lines look different for you: just ignore them)

5. Save the file and launch CyberPunk 2077

6. Enjoy crisp graphics and sessions without headache interruptions! \o/

I need to add this tho: disabling TAA and DLSS led to a considerable drop in my overall framerate. I'm using an i9-10900X with 128GB of RAM and NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super. I've been playing on pretty much all maxed out settings before. Ray-traced lighting was at "psycho", most other stuff at "ultra" etc. My prior framerate was around 35fps, which isn't great but enjoyable - to some that's already awful, but I was ok with it.

After applying this fix my framerate dropped to 25 and even dipped to 20 occasionally, which wasn't nice to play anymore, so I had to turn down many settings to "high" or even "medium" - but I'm still tinkering around to find out what has the most impact.

I'm not sure what this game's issue is, but it only uses 20% of my CPU and 10% of my GPU... I kinda blame the performance issues on CP2077's coding while observing the low system resource usage. My RAM laughs its arse off at 19/128GB - wish I could load the entire game into ram and get rid of loading times altogether, but I can live with those 5 seconds of loading screen.

Apart from the above...
Oooh this is sooo awesome! It's pure bliss to finally be able to SEE SHIT! I can only recommend doing this to everyone suffering from that TAA horror. To me the game looks much, much, much better, more crisp and less blurry... well, not blurry at all, actually. In my opinion medium settings with TAA off look better than max settings with TAA on. Not just a little better, but worlds apart better.

I personally don't get the hate for TAA. Games look terrible without TAA or other advanced methods of AA. For me jaggies give me migraines. That being said I do think you should have the option to turn it off though. Those that hate TAA for whatever reason check the Cyberpunk 2077 Nexus, there's already a mod there that lets you disable it.
There are displays out there with so small pixels that you don't really see jagged edges that much. I'm not against all AA, but temporal anti-aliasing ist the worst technique ever invented. Of course best would be if we could pick another AA method in the options, but if I have to pick between TAA or no AA, I'd always go with no AA at all.

I'm not trying to offend or anything, but if you prefer TAA over the crisp image you get without it, you might want to get a cornea topology scan and probably some glasses. That's the only explaination I can come up with why people would prefer a smudged and blurry mess over actual details and a crisp image. Again, not meant to offend - your eyesight may be perfectly fine and it may just come down to... taste? I get that 1px thin lines look better when they're not interrupted by steps, but with TAA=on they don't even exist o_O

As said before, for me TAA=off ain't a choice of preference tho. Also as said before, I've got astigmatism and the effects of TAA just trigger the same strain on my eyes as taking off my glasses - it's an almost painful effect for me. I'm happy for you that you can enjoy games with TAA on, but I just can't do it for any prolonged period of time without getting a headache - I just can't relax my eyes looking at it.

In my opinion the best anti-aliasing system is oversampling - rendering 4k to display it as 2k for example - but that's very resource hungry and most of the time not feasible with new titles. In 2 to 4 years however we might really want to do that with CP2077 and TAA won't be of any help whatsoever when doing it. Alas, looking at how little resources CP actually uses on my system, I begin to wonder if oversampling would actually be possible if the game used anything close to 100% when needed.

What did i find out, i think They Natively/Globaly Forced or Reduced TAA in 1.04 (1.05 looks the same), then if you dont use/have DLSS support, you get overshapened textures, unnatural human skin, and overall picture quality looks very bad, like a cheap sharp MOD, if you use DLSS ( in 1.04 or 1.05 ), you get same or very smilar image sharpening like original 1.03v release, which looks very good IMO. This problem is big if you don’t have a new generation GPU with DLSS support, and there are really many of them, but some people don’t pay attention to it.

Last edited:
There are displays out there with so small pixels that you don't really see jagged edges that much. I'm not against all AA, but temporal anti-aliasing ist the worst technique ever invented. Of course best would be if we could pick another AA method in the options, but if I have to pick between TAA or no AA, I'd always go with no AA at all.

I play on 1440p which is a resolution many AA haters say you don't need AA on but that is just plain wrong. When I play a game without AA it feels like my eyes are being cut by the jaggies. Additionally I don't get the obsession some have with oversharpening their games. A nice blur around the edges like the one TAA provides prevents migraines for me.

In my opinion the best anti-aliasing system is oversampling - rendering 4k to display it as 2k for example - but that's very resource hungry and most of the time not feasible with new titles. In 2 to 4 years however we might really want to do that with CP2077 and TAA won't be of any help whatsoever when doing it. Alas, looking at how little resources CP actually uses on my system, I begin to wonder if oversampling would actually be possible if the game used anything close to 100% when needed.

I also have an HTC Vive and in Steam VR supersampling is a common method used to reduce jaggies however it never holds a candle to good TAA. I can supersample 200% and all it will do is make the image look sharper, including jaggies. Then I turn TAA on and it makes the game playable.

Guest 4060800

Strange, Gamers Nexus and others report increased FPS with DLSS on.
DLSS on while AA is off = good to go?

I didn't fiddle around with that much. Disabled RTX and got 30fps more, so I raised all other settings back to max and am very happy ever since with DLSS and TAA off.

RTX might be pretty awesome, but if my rig can only do it with heavy trade-offs and trickery like TAA and DLSS in 2k, I'd feel like it's the one thing to blame for all the trouble.

To be frank...
I'm kinda really fine without it. Actually there are no useful reflections in CP anyways. On glass doors it's even so much over the top that I always thought they're transparent, when in reality (cough) I've just been looking in a mirror that didn't show my character like I'm the worst kind of stereotypical vampire. Even if this was a vampire themed game, I just hate the idea of "mirrors don't work on vampires".

I disable screen space reflection option and i think is not blurry like before. This works for me.

But yes, i always disable TAA option in any game. I prefer to choose my AA method, and imo the best AA is MSAA and SMAA.

I agree with the in-game TAA implementation not being particularly friendly. Especially I think at lower resolutions.
I am playing @ 2560x1080 on fairly high settings. In particular, I was struggling with the TAA motion blur when you move your weapon about. This was particularly noticeable when you were walking over "chicken wire" grates.

Let me show you what I have done to mitigate the issue (the result is different and does at least resolve the in-game TAA motion blur).

Image 1 - Baseline In-Game TAA moving weapon with wire floor 5m in front of character:
Cyberpunk2077 2020 - In Game TAA - Crop.jpg

You will notice with the in-game TAA that it has a ghosting effect that distorts the image near the weapon. When motionless the floor however does look good with this mode of TAA.

There have been other people who noticed this and there are existing mods to disable the in-game TAA.

Image 2 - Disable the In-Game TAA without any Reshade mods:
Cyberpunk2077 2020 - In Game TAA Disabled - Crop.jpg

How did I disable the in-game TAA?
PCGamingWiki: https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Cyberpunk_2077
Referenced this mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/cyberpunk2077/mods/183
After disabling the in-game TAA and Screen Space Reflections (recommended by the mod)

This fixes the in-game TAA ghosting, but now the "chicken wire" floor is sparkling, and you cannot see through it anymore. This sparkling is not great either - so I attempted to see what result I could get by using Reshade Mods.

Image 3: Disable In-Game TAA, replace with a combination of Reshade TAA & DLAA.
Cyberpunk2077 2020 - Custom Reshade TAA - Crop.jpg

This is not as clear an image as the in-game TAA when you are stationary, however, when you are moving/fighting the ghosting is much less pronounced (and configurable using Reshade TAA). It also allows you to see through the chicken wire to the pipes below. I also think the in-game character hair looks a lot better.

To achieve this in Reshade (use 4.7.0, 4.8.2 currently causes CP2077 to CTD) I used the following shaders in this order:
  1. DLAA.fx (default settings)
  2. TAA.fx (modify "User Adjust" setting down from 0.25 to 0.1). Adjust to personal preference.
  3. Curves.fx (Recommended - but not AA related)
Good luck, and I hope CD Projekt Red will open up the AA options when they get back after the Christmas holidays.

Last edited:

Guest 4060800

Strange, Gamers Nexus and others report increased FPS with DLSS on.
To which I said...
DLSS on while AA is off = good to go?

I switched DLSS on in the meantime - doesn't crash, looks pretty much the same, kinda doubles my FPS. Thanks for the input :)

@Ach3r0n
Hm... I don't think I have met that many grates in game yet, but I think they look ok with TAA=off. I can see why people would complain, but to me no AA still looks worlds better than TAA. Being in line with the rest of the game also being very "rastered" (or overly crisp to a degree that can be disturbing to many ppl) I think it's just fine.

Seeing single bright pixels being rastered with bad alpha (1-bit alpha blending, actually) doesn't bother me that much. Reminds me a bit of old low-color-depth graphics. Thing is: as long as I don't have the feeling that my eyesight is failing me, I can live with almost anything. Seeing bright single pixel dots flooding the screen is ok. It's like if I can see sharp single pixels = my eyes are ok and can relax :)

Also when you look around with TAA=off there are many surfaces that just show much more detail once TAA doesn't smudge it all out into a flat looking velvet scenery. I think the detail lost in 1-bit alpha are less than the losses to TAA. Like big time.

There's a way to disable AA in game, but then you'll see gigatons of graphics bugs. TAA hides many of these visual bugs... and game also looks ugly without TAA...
see here: Disable Anti-Aliasing with a simple .ini file

DX12 and DLSS (and even Vulkan for that matter) depend on TAA to even begin to look good.

See also RDR2 and H:ZD with TAA disabled. The shimmer and shadow grain is real. They aren't graphics bugs, they are what low-level APIs like DX12 and Vulkan create and almost essentially need TAA in order to fix.

Guest 4060800

DX12 and DLSS (and even Vulkan for that matter) depend on TAA to even begin to look good.

See also RDR2 and H:ZD with TAA disabled. The shimmer and shadow grain is real. They aren't graphics bugs, they are what low-level APIs like DX12 and Vulkan create and almost essentially need TAA in order to fix.

Yeah, I'm aware, but I strongly disagree about the "look good" part, since the definition of "good" is very much open to personal preference (or in some cases medical/physical limitations of the player).

In my opinion CP looks worlds better with TAA disabled - even if that gets some serious grain or dithering issues at times. These sharp pixels of sunlight on a wet surface (for example) may not look perfect, but neither does the TAA smudge fest.

Meaning, even tho many people seem to think that certain tech can't do without TAA, I'm just making a very simple request:
Let the player decide.

I think in general there's no need to fight about if it's necessary or not, or what looks good and what doesn't. They should just give us the option to turn such features on or off :)

Since you seem to know a bit of details regarding the engines: anything in there that contradicts other kinds of AA methods (apart from preferences regarding looks)?

Top Bottom