Please do something with the witcher trio

+
Made this thread more than a year ago. Not surprised it's still a topic.
I still can't comprehend how they ever got to their current state. The trio still wouldn't see any play, even in a Witcher deck, if the developers reduced each of their Provision costs by 1, perhaps even by 2; that's utterly insane. No card should ever be so poorly balanced that adjusting its Provision cost makes absolutely no difference in terms of its playability.

I still can't comprehend how they ever got to their current state. The trio still wouldn't see any play, even in a Witcher deck, if the developers reduced each of their Provision costs by 1, perhaps even by 2; that's utterly insane. No card should ever be so poorly balanced that adjusting its Provision cost makes absolutely no difference in terms of its playability.
Truly a botched "Gwent early days" balancing attempt(?). Quite many similarly butchered cards around, take most of the artifacts for example.
At least we can agree the team improved a lot in this area over the years. Balancing nowadays is leagues better.

I really like the Crones-idea. Maybe they could each have 3 options to do something, but these options are ranked and only become available, when you have played the other witchers.
Example:

Vesemir, 2 Points (6 Provisions)
Deploy: Boost an allied unit by 2
If Eskel or Lambert have been played before: Boost an allied unit by 3
If both have been played: Create and play an alchemy card.

Lambert, 2 Points (6 Provisions)
Deploy: Damage an enemy by 2
If Vesemir or Eskel have been played before: Damage an enemy unit by 3
If both have been played: Create and play a bomb.

Eskel, 2 Points (6 Provisions)
Deploy: Boost self by 2
If Vesemir or Eskel have been played before: Set base power to 3. Boost self by 2
If both have been played: Set base power to 3. Boost self by 2. Gain Resilience

So they can be used matchup dependent, you can high roll a mardroeme with Vesemir for example, if you need a reset. Or a
artifact removal with Lambert. But you can't have both, so you need to know your matchup. The idea also is: You have to be lucky to pull all three in a game, so the third option is a little overpowered.

Actually nice idea. Would appreciate if there are no neutral summoners, just to make sure that there´s no oversummoning.
Probably would be great idea to give all of them immunity and when you play the third card also remove immunity from all units on board. So there´s almost no removal risk for them.
You spend 18 provisions. When you manage to play all of them you basically get (6 body + 2 first ability + 3 second ability + 6 third ability = 17) + Immunity + Witcher tag.
Third ability I would argue is 6 for Eskel (2 boost, 1 + base power, 3 Resilience), 6 for Lambert (have to take into account to be lucky if you draw Dragon´s dream in the right time) and 6 Vesemir (probably only when you play SK)

Last edited:
At least we can agree the team improved a lot in this area over the years. Balancing nowadays is leagues better.

Haha what? the fact that there are like 300 of these unplayable cards lying around is proof that the balancing is more horrible now than it ever was.

Haha what? the fact that there are like 300 of these unplayable cards lying around is proof that the balancing is more horrible now than it ever was.
Not really, in the beginning of homecoming decks were mere piles of cards with questionable synergies.
Right now we have multiple viable archetypes per faction, some based on core cards from older sets.
The balancing is undeniably better than it used to be.
The fact that not all old cards have been buffed enough/redesigned is not a surprise either, at the very least new cards (except cards like Phooca) are designed to fit well and are playable.

I can see some uses for them now with Leo and Erland.
Would you really use a 6 for 24 play, just to get 3 points on Leo and 2 on Erland (in case you use Erland as carryover) ?
To be fair they are better than 6 for 24, they are 6 for 16, which thins 2 4p cards.
If you really want Leo and/or Erland synergy Portal gives you signifiantly more points and is cheaper (if you do not even consider Griffin Witcher Adept a non-vanilla).

Big up for the post. Those three deserve to be one of the strongest witchers. Now that there are so many good witcher cards in the expansion, this trio should be remade to something very nice too.

At this point, as long as they remain a 3-card thinning package, it won't happen (reasons above).

However, if they would change them the following way, maybe they could see some play.

Vesemir/Eskel/Lambert:

7-8 provisions
4 power
Order: summon the rest of the trio from your deck

Would you really use a 6 for 24 play, just to get 3 points on Leo and 2 on Erland (in case you use Erland as carryover) ?
To be fair they are better than 6 for 24, they are 6 for 16, which thins 2 4p cards.
If you really want Leo and/or Erland synergy Portal gives you signifiantly more points and is cheaper (if you do not even consider Griffin Witcher Adept a non-vanilla).
There's also Vesemir: Mentor for another buff on all three. That way they are a 12 point play setting up for Leo. Not saying it's great but it's something.
I just want to tutor them with Geralt: Quen then play Leo to see the Wolf boys back really. :cry:

There's also Vesemir: Mentor for another buff on all three. That way they are a 12 point play setting up for Leo. Not saying it's great but it's something.
I just want to tutor them with Geralt: Quen then play Leo to see the Wolf boys back really. :cry:
You could play Geralt: Quen, Vesemir: Mentor, Lambert: Swordmaster, Eskel: Pathfinder and Leo (those are all playable cards).

Well, they will be changed in the next update. 3 power and 7 Provisions, but the summon will have Adrenaline 4 as condition.
(Source is the dev section in yesterday's Masters stream.)

When I heard the 3 trios will be buffed I am a bit happy because it's epic but weaker than bronze. Now, non-thinner Bronze card is 4 provision cost for 5-6 point. Gold needs to be better than that except it's a good engine which point can be less.

Currently, each bronze thinner cards are 4 points for 5 provision eg. Blue Stripes Commando, Drummond Shieldmaiden, Mahakam Volunteers, Wild Hunt Rider

but Epic 3 trios are 7 for 3 which 2 more provision cost and 1 less point while it can thinner 1 more card with Adrenaline 4 as a drawback condition. I feel like well, it's better but still can't use in construct.

Last edited:
Top Bottom