"Please Insert DVD of "The Witcher"" - DOWNLOAD VERSION

+
Hi guys. I need to replace my lg ide dvd rom. Been having some issues with it and I think it's on it's last legs. But last time I checked the witcher had issues with certain sata dvd rom's so I would like some feedback on any issues with the following models:Asus DRW-2014LTBenQ DW2000WBenQ DW2010WWould prefer to go Sata so I need feedback on this.

My new rig has a Pioneer 212D SATA drive and I have no issues with it and the Witcher. I realize this isn't on your list, but perhaps it will give you a wider range of choices.

Coelocanth said:
My new rig has a Pioneer 212D SATA drive and I have no issues with it and the Witcher. I realize this isn't on your list, but perhaps it will give you a wider range of choices.
Can't get pioneer here in SA. At least not from what I have seen.

Time for a bump of this thread... I finally got a registration key off Gamesplanet, installed the Enhanced Edition patch, the English language pack, and the EAX hotfix. Now I get the dreaded "Please insert DVD of "THE WITCHER ENHANCED"!" error. I'm on Windows 7, no Daemon tools or anything installed. Reinstalled TAGES, still nothing. Do I have to get a crack (spyware/malware/virus included)?

Go to Tages website and get the latest driver which works with Windows 7Don't forget to take the 64Bit version if you run Windows 7 64 bits http://tagesprotection.com/main.htm?page=minimum.htmIf it still does not work, Tages is not at fault and you will have to look at the download site IF they have their own version of the patches.... Keep us informed as we will do everything we can to get you running :)

Already have the TAGES update. Tried it on my XP install now and get the same. I installed the patch, the language pack and finally the EAX patch, which again sticks its own witcher.exe file in there. Would that mess it up? The website I got it from only has the 1.2a patch, nothing more.This is seriously just getting me down. Worst thing is, I had to go into town on Saturday and they had The Witcher in GAME, a chain of computer games stores, for less than I paid. Thinking of maybe just getting it instead and saving myself the headache.

Yes this is your problem, since you have a digital download, there is a special code in your version of Witcher.exe which remove the need to look for the DvD but, needs an activation code to fire up. If you download patches which contain a new witcher.exe (i know, there is no way to tell) you need to get them from the Digital download website as they have their own version of the patch with the right code in the exe so it wont look for the DvD !!! Here is the answers to this directly from gamesplanet : http://www.gamesplanet.com/UK/faqTages.html?product_id=900#20So, go there and look for the patches on their site and as they say in that FAQ, try with the auto update from the load menu :) Edit: I have made a search on Gamesplanet site and there is no patches available for the game yet so, ask them via email if there is one coming and, play the game without patching for now :) Here is the link of the patches they have. http://www.gamesplanet.com/UK/pc-games/all-the-patches.html

They only have patch 1.2a available. Nothing else. so no EAX hotfix either. This is just such a pain, I've only played the game for a few hours, the rest of time is just reading stuff on here or writing them sh*tty e-mails. Seriously considering taking the £25 loss and getting a boxed version for £30. £55 for a game, woohoo...

Yes, the "Purchase Witcher" link on the front page only shows the Regular edition. So I thought "Oh, I'll just save myself £5 and get that and then patch it up". WRONG! :wall:You know, I'm beginning to think the issue isn't so much Gamesplanet, as Atari who isn't providing a no-DVD .exe. Found some mention on it on another forum, from back in February...

Sigh, same problem here. I have the original download version from Atari, with the Enhanced patch installed. I just installed the EAX Hotfix, and now can't play the game at all because it wants me to insert a DVD that, it being the download version, I don't have.Same problem running System\Witcher.exe.There really needs to be a warning post on the EAX Hotfix thread, DO NOT INSTALL IF YOU HAVE THE DOWNLOAD VERSION OF THE GAME.The Enhanced Edition Patch has been a nightmare from day one. First, 2 weeks to get a CD Key from Atari to run the Enhanced Edition Patch at all. Then, months of waiting for a hotfix for the blurring bug that made the game unplayable without giving me headaches. Finally, I check in, the hotfix is out, I install it--and now I can't play at all.A good game has been ruined here by a very poor distribution/versioning system and a debilitating copy protection scheme.Has anyone with this problem tried overwriting the witcher.exe file the EAX hotfix installs with the one from the Enhanced Edition (that didn't ask for the DVD, at least on my system)? Of course the patch didn't back it up, so its going to take reinstalling from scratch, re-activating, etc., to get it back to even try it--wondering if its worth doing so--if the blur bug will remain fixed or does that fix require the new witcher.exe?A game shouldn't be this much work....

Plotinus said:
Sigh, same problem here. I have the original download version from Atari, with the Enhanced patch installed. I just installed the EAX Hotfix, and now can't play the game at all because it wants me to insert a DVD that, it being the download version, I don't have.
reinstall, that's the only known fixbut did you ask ATARI first if you can apply the retail hotfix on your digital download version?

No, Licaon, it never even occurred to me that by buying the download version, I wouldn't be able to install the normal patches. This is the first time doing so has caused a problem for me, though--the previous patches and the EE patch all worked fine (except for the blur bug in EE, of course, which seems to be exceptionally bad on my system).I have checked Atari's site now, and they do not have a "special" version of the hotfix, so I'm guess I'm just out of luck, since it looks like its been out for months.Nothing made clear on the Atari Store site when I bought the game that I was buying a version any different from the one on the CD-ROM itself, or that I wouldn't be able to use standard patches, etc.--I realize your company has no control over that, but I'm still miffed that I can't use the EE edition.Lesson learned, I guess--always buy an actual CD-ROM/DVD in the future, not any downloadable version.

Plotinus said:
No, Licaon, it never even occurred to me that by buying the download version, I wouldn't be able to install the normal patches.
all the other digital download services have special patches AFAIK.anyway try a reinstall

Reinstalling is not that simple--every time I do that it uses up an install on the activation key, then I have to go through a 2 week back-and-forth with Atari to get them to add another install to the key. They only added 1 when I needed it before, which I used immediately, so I'll have to wait the 2 weeks for them add another before I can even try a reinstall--assuming they still support it at all. Then, if I put on the hotfix again and it does the same thing again, another 2 weeks getting them to add another so I can reinstall without the EE patch and at least be able to play the original version.

Plotinus said:
Reinstalling is not that simple--every time I do that it uses up an install on the activation key, then I have to go through a 2 week back-and-forth with Atari to get them to add another install to the key. They only added 1 when I needed it before, which I used immediately, so I'll have to wait the 2 weeks for them add another before I can even try a reinstall--assuming they still support it at all. Then, if I put on the hotfix again and it does the same thing again, another 2 weeks getting them to add another so I can reinstall without the EE patch and at least be able to play the original version.
sorry then, we really can't help you therethis registration process looks really dumb :(

Top Bottom