Please introduce some banned cards for each seasonal mode.

+
I've said this before and I'll say this again. Seasonal modes need some additional work put into them other than just the general rules.
Seasonal rules are generally great fun. You get to play a different game with different rules and often enough you get to use cards, which normally never see the light of day or you get to put some old cards to new uses.
I love the concept of seasonal modes. I love the creativity it gives you. Frankly on many occasions, I've liked playing the seasonal mode more than the regular game.

The problem is the execution of the concept. In almost every season the game itself is either to beat Nilfgaard, whose cards rely heavily on traditional game limitation to be even vaguely non-OP or specific cards, which break the mode with ease. And just like that, all the potential for creativity the mode had goes down the toilet. Because suddenly you can't be creative. No, if you want to win you have specifically tailor your deck around countering the newest mode-breaker. Of course it's not even the newest one any more. As the modes get repeated it's usually the same one as last year with some new cards added onto it.
In the end rather than being a breeze of fresh air, the mode becomes a stinking experience of clashing against the same deck again and again and again.

Maybe I'm being naive or ignorant, but I feel like it shouldn't be so hard to fix this. Just ban a few cards for each new season. Just the ones who clearly break the game. Maybe add onto it a few of the worst Nilfgaard cards as well.
You don't even have to predict, which cards will be the offending ones. You can let the playerbase to that work for you. After a few days into a new season it's usually already clear, which deck will be spammed all month long. All you need to do is have a look at them and do what needs to be done.
It's been a year and a half of seasonal modes being a part of Gwent. And it's been a year and a half of them being neglected and ignored. I'd be great if we could finally see them being given some attention so they could reach their potential rather than just being the broken joke of the month.

I was about to post basically the same, but @dunadan5 did in back in July 2020 and (s)he was spot on. This thread needs a bump because I'm very fond of seasonal modes, but indeed encountered a card/strategy that completely breaks this game (Plus One, in this case). I can use it as well and join the masses if I wanted to simply come on top, but there's no fun even when winning because it probably wasn't meant to work that way.

The play queue is rapidly advancing into replicas of the same strategy, and I'm afraid to auto-forfeit so much and end up being penalized for it. The modes are well-known and I trust denying a few specific cards for each mode (when necessary) is quite plausible.

I have to agree, not so much against NG but with an ability with ST. The most unhealthy combo I had done in this season is combining Guerilla Tactics, Idarran, and Snowdrop. Pull the combo off right you can go from low 10s to mid 150 in one turn. Restricting Idarran would just stop this combo.

I've said this before and I'll say this again. Seasonal modes need some additional work put into them other than just the general rules.
Seasonal rules are generally great fun. You get to play a different game with different rules and often enough you get to use cards, which normally never see the light of day or you get to put some old cards to new uses.
I love the concept of seasonal modes. I love the creativity it gives you. Frankly on many occasions, I've liked playing the seasonal mode more than the regular game.

The problem is the execution of the concept. In almost every season the game itself is either to beat Nilfgaard, whose cards rely heavily on traditional game limitation to be even vaguely non-OP or specific cards, which break the mode with ease. And just like that, all the potential for creativity the mode had goes down the toilet. Because suddenly you can't be creative. No, if you want to win you have specifically tailor your deck around countering the newest mode-breaker. Of course it's not even the newest one any more. As the modes get repeated it's usually the same one as last year with some new cards added onto it.
In the end rather than being a breeze of fresh air, the mode becomes a stinking experience of clashing against the same deck again and again and again.

Maybe I'm being naive or ignorant, but I feel like it shouldn't be so hard to fix this. Just ban a few cards for each new season. Just the ones who clearly break the game. Maybe add onto it a few of the worst Nilfgaard cards as well.
You don't even have to predict, which cards will be the offending ones. You can let the playerbase to that work for you. After a few days into a new season it's usually already clear, which deck will be spammed all month long. All you need to do is have a look at them and do what needs to be done.
It's been a year and a half of seasonal modes being a part of Gwent. And it's been a year and a half of them being neglected and ignored. I'd be great if we could finally see them being given some attention so they could reach their potential rather than just being the broken joke of the month.
I agree CDPR should make some rules to prevent OP decks which rule in Seasonal mode.

A relevant answer from TWiG on May 21st:

Q: Banning specific (problematic) cards from seasonal modes?
A: Thinking about it, but instead of banning cards would be nicer to change seasonals to prevent such scenarios.

Top Bottom