Please Show Me How It Should Be Done - Via The Magic Of Youtube.

+
Please Show Me How It Should Be Done - Via The Magic Of Youtube.

I'm not good at this game. I love the looks, the story, the character etc... but I hate the movement and combat.

There's two schools of thought at work;

- The first is that movement and combat are a result of unresponsive controls, overlong animations that aren't interruptible (unless you're getting hit), and Geralt having a peculiar mind of his own... the sort of mind that has him sheathing his weapons in the middle of a fight and getting stuck behind scenery no bigger than the size of his foot.

- The second is that movement and combat reflect the inertia of a human body and requires a more measured approach to fighting vice fast reactions.

If you're in the second school, would you mind posting some short clips of combat; say, fighting some average monsters such as drowners etc.. on at least 'normal' difficulty.

I'm not trying to call your bluff, just trying to see how it's done.

Thanks.

How to make combat easier , Quen Second Form Heals you when you get hit , use it and you can recover HP for free , always dodge instead of trying to parry.

Use Bombs.

Axii for Humans , Ignii for Animals/Beast/Humans.

Enemies have a certain attack pattern , drowners almost always do a double attack , get ready to dodge twice , sometimes you need to roll to get some distance from their attacks.

Pay attention to your surroundings , If you got cornered into a tree its YOUR Fault , normally you can scan the area before engaging into a fight.

If you are fighting Wraiths , Try to place a Yrden sign in advance and let the enemy teleport to you , dodge for a few attacks then go in for the kill.

PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR STAMINA BAR. Rolling when its not full lowers its regen momentarily.

Last edited:
Sorry, I probably didn't make my self clear.

I'm aware of all the technical aspects of fighting, such as oils, potions etc... I just want to see video's of how people cope with the controls system as it's nothing like any other 3rd person game I've played (from MMO's, shooters and action games like Batman etc...).

So please post a video as there's plenty of tips on the internet already, but I can't find any good video tutorials on the specifics of movement and attack :)

I feel like this may be asking for to much. While I understand your reasons and thoughts about the subject. The thing to consider is movement and especially techniques related to it are heavily dependent on the creature or human your fighting. And even further fighting a human with a sword is different from a mace or hammer etc.

Monsters make this even worse. Drowners as mentioned above have a fairly nasty double attack that would require a very different movement style then fighting a wolf etc.

So in summary while a video of what your asking is possible it wouldn't provide you with all the answers you would need anyways. Best to learn by doing. Get a feel for attack patterns and different enemies and you'll know more then you would ever learn from a video.

I'm not a noob. I've played all sorts of games on PC since '92 and speccy before that. I know how to learn games.

I just want to see videos showing me that, once you remove the smoke and mirrors, movement and combat isn't clumsy and disjointed like if feels to me.

If you think the movement and combat is fine, I'd love to see some videos - that's all. Just video's showing different combat scenario's with different enemies and different numbers. Not which spells to use, or oils, or whatever... just the basics of moving, rolling, dodging, fast attacks and strong attacks.

Is it too much to ask?

Dunno if this will help you out but since you asked about fluid movement I have a video about sword fighting and using dodges / counter-attacks. Dunno if this is what you asked so sorry if it's not what you want to see.

Last edited:
Dunno if this will help you out but since you asked about fluid movement I have a video about sword fighting and using dodges / counter-attacks. Dunno if this is what you asked so sorry if it's not what you want to see.
[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq0qJ9tc6g4[/video]

Yes. Thank you. That's the sort of thing I'm looking for. Would be nice to know what difficulty you are playing on as you one-shotted most of the bad guys, but that's the kind of video I'm interested in.

As for blocking, there seems to be some disagreement as to whether you need to be locked on to parry/block or can parry/block without being locked on.

Thanks again.

Well first of all allow me to apologize. I didn't intend to offended you with my first post nor imply you were lacking the intelligence to learn the game.

I do still feel as though I made a fairly sound point. The dodge and movement is going to feel different based on your enemies and surroundings. Especially indoors where rolling is limited And it inherently feels more clunky.

Saying that. I'm curious as to what version you play. I'm on Xbox One so I have no physical knowledge of the feeling of PC controls.
Maybe this is also the problem as I have heard of others claiming the PC controls tend to make Geralt feel clumsy and heavy. Also I unfortunately can only explain things in text as I'm not sure how to show off any Xbox footage I'd have.

Not sure how much time you've put into the game. Obviously the distance covered by dodges and rolls is very important and is something you'll learn over time and by extension it will feel less awkward. The environment is important as well. Essentially dictating whether to roll or dodge.

I think you'll notice too in Sharpys video a lot of good counterattacks come from side dodges opposed to back or rolling. This is probably the preferred method for most fights. Rolling is best against most monsters seeing as they have lunge attacks etc.

The combat can be very fluid and will feel less clunky after mastering things. Dont get discouaged when first starting out. A side dodge followed by a fast attack then a back dodge is a very good tactic against multiple bandits that try to attack at the same time.

I know maybe none of this is really what you asked for but by the time I had really thought about I had written quite a bit. In any case if it doesn't help you maybe someone will stumble upon it and find things to consider.

Maybe there is a way I can put up a video showing some of this but I'm not entirely sure how.

Again I apologize I know probably none of this actually helps you. As you said your quite well versed in learning the in's and out's of games. Maybe this will ended up being useful.

Anyways good luck I hope you find videos showing what you need.

Yes. Thank you. That's the sort of thing I'm looking for. Would be nice to know what difficulty you are playing on as you one-shotted most of the bad guys, but that's the kind of video I'm interested in.
First off - no problem, I glad you liked it and I will be making more similiar videos. As to answer your question - I was playing on Normal difficulty (now switched to Death March - hardest) and I massacared those guys pretty easy because:
1) My fast attack damage skill was fully upgraded - 5/5 points.
2) I was also using Griffin's head trophy which gives additional 10% chance to dismember humans (aka instant kill)

As for blocking, there seems to be some disagreement as to whether you need to be locked on to parry/block or can parry/block without being locked on.
You don't need to go into "lock" mode, you can block and parry whenever you want.

Something i noticed about wrights is that you can see the lantern glow on the ground when they are invisible, and thus get a idea of where they will pop out next

Here is a vid of me fighting random enemies in the hardest difficulty (Death March).
There is a lot of room for improvement here as I am still learning the game, and Witcher 3 is my first Witcher game. But you get the general idea of the movement and attacks.

I also wanted to leave this video. It may give you some ideas on how to use what and when, how to move, I do counter a few times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d01jyfonn94

I'm playing on Blood and Broken bones, I'm level 7 I don't use any of the sword upgrades in this video, and only have the exploding quen. I aim to fight and NOT get hit, that is the combat style I enjoy employing. I'm not a master or pro TW3 player by any means, but I've had my share of combat here and there. In this video, I don't exploit the engaging distance of mobs how other people like to do, I'm right in the thick of it and try to play calmly.

cheers!

Last edited:
Great video, Cotchorama. One thing I have noticed is that you have a very reactive play style. I think a lot of people that are unhappy with the combat were expecting a system where they have more agency.

Thank you Bittid88. I usually go for a more defensive playstyle, always have.

In this video, I was playing as you say reactive, because I wanted (it was originally planned for my cousin, who didn't know how to move, defend, counter, or use the signs) my cousin to see the fight in a slow "reactive" manner. It was more of a showcase of what you can do than an aggressive approach.

I assume by "agency" you mean take control? (English is my 2nd language I'm sorry) you can absolutely play this with more "agency", I just chose to play more reactive/defensive so I can show case combat and how it can be rather easy, if you focus and play smart.

(TBH, when you're swarmed with many mobs, lower level than they are, and in THIS case my sword was lvl 1 :/... its smarter to play reactive than it is to head in and try to impose your will. In this difficulty and even MORE so on dark, running in and trying to impose your will isn't exactly very smart and will end swiftly in your defeat. I have a sneaking suspicion that people unhappy with combat expect to just run in and bash some heads in, when (give credit to this game) sometimes, it takes more of a thought out, patient approach. There's a time and place for just running in and owning the battlefield, most times it isn't, and I simply LOVE that about this game)

Last edited:
I played dark souls 2 not long ago and I'm playing W3 on broken bones (I think it's what it's called), I just started but gameplay seems quite accessible. Just learn how to dodge and attack when you have the chance. Land a few hits and roll out, don't overstay. In dark souls you had to worry a ton about stamina but here it's much easier.

Thanks again.

you dont need to lock to parry/counterattack. i do it all the time with nekkers (easiest to counter). parrying is pretty useless against anything higher than a wolf besides humans (youll get stunned most of the time)

No need to apologise. I'm playing the PC version using mouse and keyboard. I've tried using an xbox360 controller twice but it's no better for me.

Yeah I probably should of asked whether or not you were on PC with KB+M. makes a big difference if your playing this way. Especially if you dont like controllers for whatever reason.

I play a majority of my RPGs with controller and most other games with KB+M having said that I have no experience with this game using KB. From everything else I've heard (there is numerous posts here) the PC version definitely feels more wonky and disjointed to most people. Hopefully this is the case and can be fixed by a future update.

In any case you have a few good videos to see how people do things. Cotchorama's is particularly good.

Persevere though as this game is definitely worth it and maybe with an extend play time things will start to feel more natural.

Top Bottom